Fit different head unit in Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Fit different head unit in Compass

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #16
athanasios

Hi Jim,

you are going through the same reasoning I went through. I tend to be very much in favour of factory fitted solutions even if features are limited. There are a few things though that I can't live with:

The first being Geographical Map Coverage. Unfortunately not all European countries are covered by the factory unit and some have very poor coverage. Would be a bit like missing a few states in the US and having poor coverage in other states. The D3 has some of the best maps available for Europe.

The second important issue is iPod connectivity. Again the D3 beats the factory unit by lengths. Everything else I could have lived with. I don't need to play a DVD in the car.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted and am looking forward to hearing which road you took.

Alex

athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

I am yanking out the Stock radio/single Cd/Aux input stereo in favor of something with a bit more features, I am also replacing all the speakers do I have to get that adapter to make the jeep work or is that only needed to use the factory wiring?

my 07 Patriot is a Plain Jane Vanallia unit no bells or dodads just bone stock,
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

From what I understand at the least you will want a wiring kit like those available at Crutchfield.

That should cover the basics for power, and wiring to the speakers.

But if it were me.. I would get the Chrysler CHYAH05.

"The CHYAH05 is designed to allow the replacement of a factory radio with an aftermarket head-unit in select late model Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. Provides a time saving professional head-unit installation while retaining full use of the factory amplifier and speaker system. The CHYAH05 is the perfect plug & Play solution when installing a aftermarket navigation radio."

You may not need it, I believe I have read of folks just hooking up thru the crutchfield kit and running with it, but for 80 to 100 bucks you can be sure of proper compatibilty with your Pat's computer and such.

Jim
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #19
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearly.normal
From what I understand at the least you will want a wiring kit like those available at Crutchfield.

But if it were me.. I would get the Chrysler CHYAH05.
[You may not need it, I believe I have read of folks just hooking up thru the crutchfield kit and running with it, but for 80 to 100 bucks you can be sure of proper compatibilty with your Pat's computer and such.

Jim

I plan on installing dual PPI amps Infinity Kappa Perfect speakers and dual 10" infinity kappa perfect subs Hopfully a cut above the stock speakers and amps but if I can use the stock speaker wires I don't have to run new wires into the doors which is a Pain in the neck but three feet lower.

I have head tell some of the brains for the Evic in the dash as well as other functions is in the radio that is why I asked.
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #20
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by belezeeubub
I have head tell some of the brains for the Evic in the dash as well as other functions is in the radio that is why I asked.

Exactly.
And from what I understand the CHY unit makes sure the Can Bus is still sending and receiving all the proper info it needs. It's not just for interfacing into the speakers and amps, it's also for interfacing into the EVIC and the computer's network.
nearly.normal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #21
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Has anyone done this double din mod yet? Pictures?

I would like to install the Pioneer AVIC-D3.

Is the speed sensor part of the can bus, and if so, where is it?
soycap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #22
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

Never mind... the CHYAH05 covers that the speed sensor:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/chyah05.pdf
soycap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2007, 02:24 AM   #23
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone actually replaced their stock headunit, with a new one - using the CAN-BUS adapter/interface?

I'm looking into doing this myself, but there are no suppliers in Australia stocking the CAN-BUS adapter yet. They are telling me they are not happy with results from existing suppliers (they didn't name names).

Therefore I would like to see who has replaced their head unit using the CHYAH05 - and the results?

Thanks All!
mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2007, 05:18 AM   #24
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

IMPORTANT NOTE!

I emailed Peripheral Electronics, who make the CHYAH05, to confirm the compatibility of this CAN-BUS adapter with the compass - and this is their response:

"Unfortunately that harness is not compatible, nor do we offer one that is at this time. - Ernie Hartman, Technical Advisor - Peripheral Electronics"

So those of you who were seriously thinking of replacing their head units, using the CHYAH05, may want to reconsider . Anyone else know of any other compatible, reliable wiring products?
Unread 08-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #25
athanasios

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdls4
IMPORTANT NOTE!

I emailed Peripheral Electronics, who make the CHYAH05, to confirm the compatibility of this CAN-BUS adapter with the compass - and this is their response:

"Unfortunately that harness is not compatible, nor do we offer one that is at this time. - Ernie Hartman, Technical Advisor - Peripheral Electronics"

So those of you who were seriously thinking of replacing their head units, using the CHYAH05, may want to reconsider . Anyone else know of any other compatible, reliable wiring products?
Hmm. I got the same reply as you did in March. When I asked again in June I got this reply:

---
...Actually since the last time we spoke, the Compass was tested and
verified as the same can bus system. The CHYAH05 will work as well as
the PESWICAN steering wheel control module....
Ernie Hartman, Technical Advisor
---
athanasios is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2007, 05:53 AM   #26
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanasios
Hmm. I got the same reply as you did in March. When I asked again in June I got this reply:

---
...Actually since the last time we spoke, the Compass was tested and
verified as the same can bus system. The CHYAH05 will work as well as
the PESWICAN steering wheel control module....
Ernie Hartman, Technical Advisor
---
Hmm.... It's enough to drive me crazy! I only received his email today, so I am assuming further testing was done - or Compass owners have installed the CHYAH05, with compatibility issues. Thanks for the reply though. I might wait till someone has actually gone ahead with it (with the CHYAH05 that is) - and posts their results, or till they (Peripheral Electronics) officially support the product for the Compass.
Unread 08-30-2007, 07:18 AM   #27
nearly.normal
2007 MK Patriot 

There are Patriot users who have used that piece and aftermarket radios to maintain full steering wheel and canbus functionality.

Private Message me for more info.
Unread 08-31-2007, 08:17 PM   #28
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

I have received the CHYAH05, Nav Bezel, and AVIC-D3, but I am still waiting on the double din adapter. I will be away next week so I'm thinking I am at least 1 or 2 weeks out from installing everything. I will be sure to post pics and result, however I will only be able to confirm that the nav controls work (we don't have steering wheel controls.)
Unread 09-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #29
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

The install is completed and went very well. There is a ton of room behind the dash.

I didn't document the entire install in pictures, but I took a few to show the fit, which was perfect:

http://www.boodaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2487

As far as the CHYAH05 goes, everything I needed is working as it should:

Accessory Output = WORKING
Illumination Output = WORKING
Vehicle Speed Sense (VSS) = WORKING
Amp Remote Input = not in use/not tested
Reverse Output = not in use/confirmed does not work on manual trans (this is documented by "Peripheral Electronics")
Parking Brake = not in use/not tested due to wiring the AVIC-D3 bypass
Steering Wheel Control = not in use/not tested

It appears to me that the CHYAH05 will work with an MK just as it will with any other 2004 - 2007+ Chrysler. I cannot confirm this for the functions I did not use, but the functions I did use operated exactly as documented.

To sum up the install:
The basic components needed to install a double-din nav:
- OEM Compass Nav Bezel - $40
- METRA 99-6510 kit- $20
- CHYAH05 - $100
- Chrysler radio antenna adapter - $10
- 10" of pipe insulation - $0

The system:
- Pioneer AVIC-D3 - $720
- Pioneer Bluetooth module - $140
- Screen Protector - $15

So it ran me about $1050 to get the following features:
- In Dash Nav
- Bluetooth
- 2 Aux ports
- RCA outs
- DVD

Basically it cost us less than 1/2 of the OEM nav and bluetooth and we got the critical features of AUX ports and RCA outs, in addition to DVD (which I doubt we will use, but it's there.)
Unread 09-10-2007, 03:39 AM   #30
soycap
2007 MK Compass 

On another note, the tweeters do not seem to be wired in my 4 speaker system. There is a blank where a tweeter would go, but no wire I could see. This is not a big deal though as it is an easy pull to the HU, you'll just need to remove the HU to wire it up (you could try to pick off the wire running to the door, but I think running directly to the HU would be faster and cleaner.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.