First wax - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > First wax

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
udmover
2011 WK 

First wax

Hey all- When is it safe to wax a new car for the first time? I have heard everything from right away to 3 months to 6 months and etc. I know that new paint needs time to properly cure and don't want to mess up my Patriot's finish! Mine has a build of Dec. '07, so I'm at around 3.5 months now. Thanks for the help!

udmover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
UTAH

I'm not convinced timelines are relevant anymore. My suggestion is just wax your vehicle if and when it needs it.

Bill
Unread 03-30-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can wax it the moment you purchase it.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
snood
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHavok797 View Post
You can wax it the moment you purchase it.
Go to autozone and ask for there BEST wax, its in the back so the guy will have to get it for you. Its what they use on RVs, Planes, Spaceships, million dollar boats....awesome againt the element. Its in a clear tube with red writing on it, almost looks like grease.
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Busch2fan
2008 KK Liberty 

A friend of mine introduced me to Meguairs Tech wax. It's a heavy liquid more like a polish. The car really shines and the dirt rolls right off. Sells for something like $17.
Busch2fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm a fan of Turtle Wax Liquid Ice, it can be applied in the sun, on the plastic, and you do the whole car at once. It really looks good! I'll upload pics sometime of mine after I did it. It IS alright to post Caliber pics is it not?

Quality isn't great for the pictures I know, its from a 2MP camera on my phone...
Unread 03-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You can wax off the lot, because they use many drying, and hardening processes after paint, so it is different than say... newly applied touch up paint.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
OnRoad
2008 MK Compass 

I can second the Tech Wax. Really good stuff just follow the instructions and keep it off of the plastic. Seems to hold up very well.
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Busch2fan
2008 KK Liberty 

Tech wax or any other wax. If you get it on the plastic, especially the grays and blacks, a little Armour All will clean it up and the plastic will look great.
Busch2fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #10
Nick_D
2008 MK Compass 

The best wax, in my opinion is a pure Carnuba. A non-cleaner wax. If your paint is scratch free do this. Otherwise, buff the scratches out with a normal wax first.

Start by washing the car with soap detergent. They say never do this. That's because it takes the wax off, but that's the idea here. Get all the old wax off the paint (if any is left). With pure carnuba you WANT the car to be in the sun. The carnuba will become very soft. Apply it with your fingers, it will turn liquidly from the heat of your hand and just rub it like you would hand lotion on sun tan lotion on a significant other. Do a little at a time, a fender say first. Once it's all applied take a terry cloth tower and in circular motions buff it off. When you went over the entire fender take a fresh terry cloth towel and this one will get the final buffing done. Do this over the whole car. If you have a dark paint you may want to try a swirl remover after that to remove any little swirl marks that may appear from buffing. After doing this, you're car will look like better than new. I do this with my car once in the spring and then a quick wax in the fall for winter protection.

While I haven't done my wife's Compass yet, here is my car's paint after 9+ years of doing this method. The car was never garaged but mostly parked on the street:

Last edited by Nick_D; 04-10-2008 at 03:07 PM..
Nick_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #11
Wade
2008 MK Patriot 

My method of keeping my Jeeps clean

Here's my procedure....

1. Drive my Jeep to the neighborhood car wash

2. Tell the attendant what I want done, wash & spray wax, tire shine, no Armor All on the interior.

3. Remind the attendant not to use ammonia cleaners on my front windows as it will cause the tint film to fade to purple over time.

4. Give the keys to the attendant, then walk inside to get out of the hot Florida sun. Pull a cup of complimentary coffee from the thermos on the counter.

5. Pay for the service, $15 to $20. Watch the Jeep, in air conditioned comfort, as it passes by down the wash & wax tunnel.

6. Go outside once the kids have finished attacking the Jeep with hot dry towels, the interior gets vacuumed out, and the tires are being shined.

7. When the signal is given, I head out to my Jeep, slipping a $5 bill into the hand of the kid who handed my keys to me.

8. I pull out of the car wash and head home, weary that it took 20 minutes to to get the Jeep cleaned.

It's a Jeep. Not a Maserati, not a Ferrari, and not a Rolls Royce. Its a Jeep.

I know I'll get some grief over this!
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade08Patriot View Post
Here's my procedure....
It's a Jeep. Not a Maserati, not a Ferrari, and not a Rolls Royce. Its a Jeep.

I know I'll get some grief over this!
You're driving a Patriot, so you're excused. The Compass is too shwoopy to age gracefully with rough paint.
davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

When it's raining, I just get behind a semi on the freeway to wash mine. The "mobile" car wash is cheap and easy and I don't have to leave a tip.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.