JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Finally test drove one! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/finally-test-drove-one-348655/)

MoJeeper 12-09-2006 12:12 PM

Finally test drove one!

Let me say, I like the looks, the comfort, but the lack of umph was untolorable!! It maybe bacause i'm not used to the CVT. My wife was driving it, so we took it down the 4 lane, i told her her to slow down to 55, and step on it like you were going to pass somebody, well the engine went up to 6grand and made alot of noise, but that is about it. It hardly gain anyspeed at all! So my next vehicle will not be anouther jeep that's for shur.:(

Gramps 12-09-2006 12:35 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear that. The CVT takes a little different driving technique and some adaptation, I think most of us that have them can confirm that. I'm sure your test driver wasn't broken in yet either. However it is NOT a top contender for the 1/4 mile, that's what the other toys are for.

MoJeeper 12-09-2006 03:10 PM

No it wasn't broke in, but we test drove a couple of vehicles and didn't have a problem. With mostly 2 lane roads around here I need something that she can safely pass it. I think the 5 or 6 spd(what ever it is) might have been better.

Gramps 12-09-2006 03:29 PM

It would be a 5 speed and they seem to be hard to come by and we haven't heard any reports back from anybody who has one. Going from memory, it's kind of hilly in your area too, isn't it? That and 2 lane roads could be a concern depending on traffic.

g3cko 12-09-2006 05:38 PM

I thought that as well when I first drove it, but I was also coming out of a sports sedan with 300+ horse power. I am definitely use to it now and find the power to be adeuqate. I'm still trying to get used to the CVT, but I'm starting to realize its strengths and weaknesses.

snikr 12-09-2006 07:10 PM

Only problem my wife had on the test drive was the Compass picked up speed at times and it didn't feel like it was going that fast. She wanted speed control on it and the dealer had to locate a Compass with speed control before she would buy one.
Me, I drive a snowmobile in the winter so I'm kind of used to the way a CVT works. My uncle calls a vehicle with a CVT a "snowmobile on wheels". Not a bad thing at all as the sled I drive will hit 100 MPH!

Tom

MoJeeper 12-09-2006 10:01 PM

I cvt in a atv/ snowmobile are way diffrent to me. Our dealer only had 1 auto and the rest were 5spds, but the wife won't drive a manual. And yes it is hilly, and really curvy so you really have to plan your passes around here. Iam sorry to say we are going to buy a toyota:eek:

echocat22 12-11-2006 06:48 AM

when i test drove one(auto) i didnt feel like i was going that fast, looked a speedometer, was doing 72 so i guess i was..............anyway, how do you drive a snowmobile and how is it somewhat like driving the compass with the cvt?

snikr 12-11-2006 05:47 PM

The snowmobile and CVT are similar as they have no shift points, just hit the gas and GO. They just hold the engine in the "sweet spot" most of the time. After taking it out in the snow this past Friday I like it as there are no shift jerks to break the tires loose. Just smooth traveling.

Gramps 12-11-2006 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snikr
The snowmobile and CVT are similar as they have no shift points, just hit the gas and GO. They just hold the engine in the "sweet spot" most of the time. After taking it out in the snow this past Friday I like it as there are no shift jerks to break the tires loose. Just smooth traveling.

:agree: No down shifting on the hills and getting squirrelly, no shifting in or out of corners, just smooth all the way! Love it.:thumbsup:

MoJeeper 12-11-2006 09:20 PM

But a compass does "kinda" shift just with out the jerks. The engine RPM does go down like its shifting, then back up when you step on it. It just does it smoothly.

Snowmobile/ quad as the engine speeds you speed up and the engine stays at a high rpm the faster you go.

Gramps 12-12-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.H's Jeeps
But a compass does "kinda" shift just with out the jerks. The engine RPM does go down like its shifting, then back up when you step on it. It just does it smoothly.

Snowmobile/ quad as the engine speeds you speed up and the engine stays at a high rpm the faster you go.

Kinda, sorta, ya. They're computer simulated shifts that slide the belt higher or lower in the pulley making for a smooth "shift" (ratio change).

I did try something out today so this is on the AutoStick:

Cruising along at 20 or 30 if you put the shifter to the plus side it will go to 4th range and stay there until you hit 6K and then up shift. If you slow down enough to make a slow turn it can drop to 3rd, if you stop it will drop to 1st. I was testing primarily for hills in the snow, would it stay in a range without shifting at all? Yes it will. If you start your climb in say 3rd or 4th then unless you take it up to 6K, or slow down drastically, it will stay in that range.

This was just an FYI for those curious minds out there.

The time now is 01:58 AM.