FDI and FDII Fuel Consumption Differences - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > FDI and FDII Fuel Consumption Differences

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #1
India_Actual

FDI and FDII Fuel Consumption Differences

I'm looking at buying a Patriot, and I'm researching all of the options. I was surprised to see such a steep drop in fuel efficiency when going up to the FDII. Why is that? The weight of the skid plates, crawl gears, and tow hooks don't seem like enough to drop the MPG that much. Is there something I'm missing?

India_Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Final drive ratio.

to get the 19:1 crawl ratio, the FDII has been geared down. So say the CVT was an actual transmission with gears 1-6. The final drive makes it more like gears .25-4 compared to a FDI. (I know the CVT has no gears, I don't need that lecture again. I'm just trying to give an example) So while the top gears in the transmission are basically the same, (between the 6 speed auto and the cvt) the FDII has that one difference in the final drive.

In my old FDII patriot, at 65mph, I would run at about 2800-3000 rpm, in a FDI you would probably bet at close to 2000 rpm. That's a huge difference in fuel savings.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
India_Actual

Oh, okay. It seems obvious now that you mention it. Thanks.
India_Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
IRSmart
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Final drive ratio.

to get the 19:1 crawl ratio, the FDII has been geared down. So say the CVT was an actual transmission with gears 1-6. The final drive makes it more like gears .25-4 compared to a FDI. (I know the CVT has no gears, I don't need that lecture again. I'm just trying to give an example) So while the top gears in the transmission are basically the same, (between the 6 speed auto and the cvt) the FDII has that one difference in the final drive.

In my old FDII patriot, at 65mph, I would run at about 2800-3000 rpm, in a FDI you would probably bet at close to 2000 rpm. That's a huge difference in fuel savings.
it's even more so noticeable now that the FD-I comes with the 6 speed automatic, raising the fuel economy over the old CVT.
IRSmart is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.