JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   FD2 questions (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/fd2-questions-1479824/)

dirtdad 02-16-2013 11:09 AM

FD2 questions

When you have FD2, does the engine run at higher rpm's at all road speeds, is it geared differently overall, not just when in low range?
What causes the much lower gas mileage with the FD2?

aroundincircles 02-16-2013 11:44 AM

The final drive is geared lower, the CVT is exactly the same. so it runs in higher rpms at first acceleration and at highway speeds. almost like a 4 speed auto or an auto with no over drive. in fact at highway speeds, my 04 alero with a 4speed auto has about the same rpms as my patriot. when you put it into low, it just forces the cvt to stay in the lowest gear range under 30 mph, if you go over that, it will bump it up (so you don't over rev the engine), but will still keep the cvt in a lower gear ratio than it would normally at that speed.

FujativeOCR 02-16-2013 12:14 PM

Im surprised about the Alero with the 4 speed. My 99 Grand Am with a 4 speed ran at way lower rpms at highway speeds.

Anyway for the OP, they run about 2800 rpm at 65, 3200 at 75.

Also if you go to low range with 4wd on you are limited to about 10 mph.

aroundincircles 02-16-2013 12:35 PM

the 99 had a 2.4l 4cyl (if you had the 4 cyl) and the 2004 has a 2.2 that has less horse power, but got better fuel economy (barely, I usually get 27 or 28mpg in the alero and 25mpg in the jeep on the same commute)

FujativeOCR 02-16-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
the 99 had a 2.4l 4cyl (if you had the 4 cyl) and the 2004 has a 2.2 that has less horse power, but got better fuel economy (barely, I usually get 27 or 28mpg in the alero and 25mpg in the jeep on the same commute)

Oh true. I forgot they switched. I got up to 29 in the GA on some road trips. That was still the best car ive owned. I seem to recall the GA being under 2,000 rpm at 60 though.

aroundincircles 02-16-2013 03:40 PM

Mine I bought a year ago for 2500 bucks. I've squeezed 33mpg out of it on road trips averaging 65mph, part of my commute is a 10 mile stretch of 75mph highway, and its right at 3k on the tack, patriot is at 3100 with my bigger tires. And it drops my mpg in a big way going that fast.

Kenny-g 02-19-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 14979374)
The final drive is geared lower, the CVT is exactly the same. so it runs in higher rpms at first acceleration and at highway speeds. almost like a 4 speed auto or an auto with no over drive. in fact at highway speeds, my 04 alero with a 4speed auto has about the same rpms as my patriot. when you put it into low, it just forces the cvt to stay in the lowest gear range under 30 mph, if you go over that, it will bump it up (so you don't over rev the engine), but will still keep the cvt in a lower gear ratio than it would normally at that speed.

OP, this pretty much covers it. My FDII Pat gets about 25-27 MPG's highway in the texas hill country and close to 24 City if I stay away from the loop/highway (quick accelerating/decelerating kills my city MPG's).

FujativeOCR 02-19-2013 10:11 AM

Jeep should really emphasize the point more that individual results may vary. There is absolutely no way I could get 24 city 26-27 highway out of my fd2. I got 26 once driving a steady 45 mph. At 60 it will not get the same result.

Kenny-g 02-19-2013 10:59 AM

Yea it sucks but that goes for every vehicle. Even Prius' dont get like 40MPG's all the time (blownin smoke out of my arse I dont know their rated mpgs and what they actually get).

dirtdad 02-21-2013 07:10 AM

so if you had a FD2, and installed tires tall enough to change the final drive to the same ratio as the FD1, would you get the same mileage as the FD1? What are the respective final drive ratios of the FD1 and FD2?

FujativeOCR 02-21-2013 08:16 AM

That might work on the freeway. I think bigger tires would add rotating mass and hurt mileage in town.

FujativeOCR 02-21-2013 08:18 AM

And the FD2 is 8.135:1. Fd1 is 6.12:1.

aroundincircles 02-21-2013 08:49 AM

The biggest tires you could fit would be a 29.5" tire (mine measuere 30" with a tape measure) its not enough to get FDI milage. I have VERY heavy ATS tires, and Yes around town it hurts mileage, on the highway it helps. I get anywhere from 20-25mpg with my FDII, street driving, depending how I drive. if I've been off road, I've gotten as little as 15mpg. 25 is when I'm able to set the cruise to 55mph for extended periods of time, it seems to really like that speed.

Of course I've shot that all to hell with my lift... Not sure what the exact impact to mileage it will be, but I'm sure not good.

The big difference between FDI and FDII are the off road extras that you can't install on a FDI:
Low range
Hill decent control
Break lock differential
the extra water sealing around the cab
etc.

I bought mine specifically to take off road. That's what I wanted to do with it so I knew if I got one with FDI, i would regret it, and wish I had FDII. if you know you are NOT going to go off road, or if you are, it won't be much more than a dirt trail or a little snow/sand/mud... get the FDI. However if you're like me and want to challenge yourself off road... get the FDII, that's what its meant for. MPG's be damned. (of course when I was out with a group of wrangler owners on monday, and the highest any of them got was about 17mpg, and my low is 20 in typical driving... It was hard to try to not be too smug about it)

How it looks with bigger tires/lift:

http://notthemomma.com/wp-content/up...130220_002.jpg

Kenny-g 02-21-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 15009221)
I bought mine specifically to take off road. That's what I wanted to do with it so I knew if I got one with FDI, i would regret it, and wish I had FDII. if you know you are NOT going to go off road, or if you are, it won't be much more than a dirt trail or a little snow/sand/mud... get the FDI. However if you're like me and want to challenge yourself off road... get the FDII, that's what its meant for. MPG's be damned. (of course when I was out with a group of wrangler owners on monday, and the highest any of them got was about 17mpg, and my low is 20 in typical driving... It was hard to try to not be too smug about it)

Bingo. Exactly my logic when I was shopping for my Pat and this is what I highly suggest to anyone going back and forth between FDI and FDII. Personally, I think Jeep shouldn't even offer FDI Pat's...they should just have a FWD model and a Freedom Drive 4x4 model that's the same as a FDII. No FDI. Because, really, you dont save much by going FDI on the Sport model. A FDI Sport would've been like $19,500 or so MSRP when i bought mine in October of last year but my FDII Sport was sbout $20,750 MSRP. So an extra $1,250 on a Sport model isn't bad at all.....

aroundincircles 02-21-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny-g (Post 15009299)
Bingo. Exactly my logic when I was shopping for my Pat and this is what I highly suggest to anyone going back and forth between FDI and FDII. Personally, I think Jeep shouldn't even offer FDI Pat's...they should just have a FWD model and a Freedom Drive 4x4 model that's the same as a FDII. No FDI. Because, really, you dont save much by going FDI on the Sport model. A FDI Sport would've been like $19,500 or so MSRP when i bought mine in October of last year but my FDII Sport was sbout $20,750 MSRP. So an extra $1,250 on a Sport model isn't bad at all.....

Oh I totally understand a FDI model, for like my father in law, he lives up in the mountains of utah, he's not going to go off road, but he does have to deal with a lot of snow. so awd for him would be important, and it gets 28 mpg with the 2.4l, vs the FDII's 23 mpg, which is only a drop of 2 mpg from a fwd with a 2.0l.

If MPG is your reason to buy or not buy... then I don't think its for you though. I mean I wanted good mpg, but the truth of the matter is a wrangler (at least with the options I wanted) was out of my price range. I wanted the most capable off road vehicle I could get that was within my budget, and that could fit my family. Patriot was on a very short list (the other car was a suzuki grand vitara). I bought the jeep for several reasons over the grand vitara, and I'm extremely happy with it.

If you want good mpg's and need a awd vehicle to deal with minor snow/ice/ mud/etc the FDI is a great choice, if your goal is to go off road, I think you'll end up with some buyers remorse.

The time now is 07:56 PM.