FD I and FDII Brake-Lock Differential - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > FD I and FDII Brake-Lock Differential

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
wojtek_f

FD I and FDII Brake-Lock Differential

Hello,
I am thinking of buying a used 4wd patriot. Most cars out there seem to be FD I vehicles. This is most likely fine for what I want the vehicle for. I will use it mostly for access to British Columbia's back country - driving on mountain logging roads, possibly muddy and snowy conditions to get to (and back from) the trailheads.
I have a quick questions on FD I ESP/ traction control system - does it come with the Brake-Lock differential function?
Is brake-lock differential standard on FD I vehicles or do I need to look for a car with a specific option?
Can the ESP be turned 'partially-off' and 'off' disabling the engine power reduction on FD I car?
Same on the 5-speed manual car?
Does any of these things change by model year?
Thank you!
w

wojtek_f is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

FD I has the brake-lock differential system.

Most vehicles now-a-days don't allow you to turn ESP completely off, just partially. There is a button to do so, below the temperature controls (at least, there is on the 2011 and up models, assuming the earlier models are similar or the same).
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
KLRJEEPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwe
FD I has the brake-lock differential system.

Most vehicles now-a-days don't allow you to turn ESP completely off, just partially. There is a button to do so, below the temperature controls (at least, there is on the 2011 and up models, assuming the earlier models are similar or the same).
My pat was a 2010 and fdII. It had the switch down there too. If you can find an fdII, get it. The extras that package provides is worth hunting one down for back country use.
KLRJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
vinniej

My wife's compass (2011) you can disable the esp completely by holding the esp button for 10 sec or so. It is FDII, but I don't think that has any bearing on it.
vinniej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
vinniej

Wow, didn't realize I was back that far time wise...... ooops
vinniej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

4x4's you can turn TC off all the way, FWD you cannot.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

Out of curiosity, when would one need the TC? If I've just got the automatic 4x4 on in a snowstorm the TC would be on. Why would you want to turn it off? Just wondering.
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I turn it off all the time, especially when I'm running through a wash. Lots of wheel spin, and the TC kills your power by hitting the brakes. same with climbing hills that have a very lose/rocky surface.

TC is for unexpected slip, or brief slip that could cause you to get into an accident. I know that some people who live in snowy climates can do better starting on ice, without TC, but some do better with it...

so it really depends on the situation. if you never do much off roading, you'll never have a reason to turn it off. If you do a lot of off roading, you will.
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniej View Post
My wife's compass (2011) you can disable the esp completely by holding the esp button for 10 sec or so. It is FDII, but I don't think that has any bearing on it.
I know that when you just press the button once to turn it "partially" off, it shows an icon by the gauges with the feature off.

Do you see something different when you HOLD the button to turn it completely off? Or is it the same icon and you just have to trust that it's completely off?
BumpShaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
I know that when you just press the button once to turn it "partially" off, it shows an icon by the gauges with the feature off.

Do you see something different when you HOLD the button to turn it completely off? Or is it the same icon and you just have to trust that it's completely off?
you can only turn it all the way off if you have FDI, or FDII, if you have FWD you cannot turn it all the way off.

when you push and hold it, it chimes a 2nd time, and where it shows your odometer, it will say TSC OFF as well as the light lit up.
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
you can only turn it all the way off if you have FDI, or FDII, if you have FWD you cannot turn it all the way off.

when you push and hold it, it chimes a 2nd time, and where it shows your odometer, it will say TSC OFF as well as the light lit up.
Awesome, this is really good to know. I have FDI so this will come in handy.

I saw comments about when it is useful to turn if completely off. But I wonder when it would be necessary to have it partially off (by just pressing the button once)? If you could turn it off completely or have it on completely... how would partial functionality work and be any benefit?
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpShaman View Post
Awesome, this is really good to know. I have FDI so this will come in handy.

I saw comments about when it is useful to turn if completely off. But I wonder when it would be necessary to have it partially off (by just pressing the button once)? If you could turn it off completely or have it on completely... how would partial functionality work and be any benefit?
It all depends on how much slip you want. I know when I lock my 4wd, and put it into low, it automatically partially disables the tc, as you expect wheel spin when off road. and only when I get to really lose stuff do I turn it off all the way.
Unread 10-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #13
BumpShaman
2014 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
It all depends on how much slip you want. I know when I lock my 4wd, and put it into low, it automatically partially disables the tc, as you expect wheel spin when off road. and only when I get to really lose stuff do I turn it off all the way.
Awesome, thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be fully disabling it when I hit the drive-on beach and inevitable snow.
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of tires do you have? do you air down when you go? I highly recommend airing down when off road, especially in sand. I have one of these air pumps and it does an awesome job:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=780445_0_0_

I air down to 15psi, but I have larger than stock tires. Stocks I would air down to 20ish, maybe 25. Gives you a much bigger foot print and better traction.

Unread 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
BostonStrong
2013 MK Patriot 

I turned it all the way off today to see and it said ESP OFF. Is that correct?
I'm hoping to see how the Patriot performs in the first big snowstorm up here with the Firestones before I look into winter tires.
Though it's still in the 70's
BostonStrong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.