JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   FD I and FDII Brake-Lock Differential (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/fd-i-fdii-brake-lock-differential-1425612/)

wojtek_f 10-09-2012 01:02 AM

FD I and FDII Brake-Lock Differential

Hello,
I am thinking of buying a used 4wd patriot. Most cars out there seem to be FD I vehicles. This is most likely fine for what I want the vehicle for. I will use it mostly for access to British Columbia's back country - driving on mountain logging roads, possibly muddy and snowy conditions to get to (and back from) the trailheads.
I have a quick questions on FD I ESP/ traction control system - does it come with the Brake-Lock differential function?
Is brake-lock differential standard on FD I vehicles or do I need to look for a car with a specific option?
Can the ESP be turned 'partially-off' and 'off' disabling the engine power reduction on FD I car?
Same on the 5-speed manual car?
Does any of these things change by model year?
Thank you!
w

jasonwe 10-09-2012 08:39 AM

FD I has the brake-lock differential system.

Most vehicles now-a-days don't allow you to turn ESP completely off, just partially. There is a button to do so, below the temperature controls (at least, there is on the 2011 and up models, assuming the earlier models are similar or the same).

KLRJEEPER 10-20-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonwe
FD I has the brake-lock differential system.

Most vehicles now-a-days don't allow you to turn ESP completely off, just partially. There is a button to do so, below the temperature controls (at least, there is on the 2011 and up models, assuming the earlier models are similar or the same).

My pat was a 2010 and fdII. It had the switch down there too. If you can find an fdII, get it. The extras that package provides is worth hunting one down for back country use.

vinniej 06-27-2013 09:13 PM

My wife's compass (2011) you can disable the esp completely by holding the esp button for 10 sec or so. It is FDII, but I don't think that has any bearing on it.

vinniej 06-27-2013 09:14 PM

Wow, didn't realize I was back that far time wise...... ooops

aroundincircles 06-28-2013 09:01 PM

4x4's you can turn TC off all the way, FWD you cannot.

BostonStrong 10-04-2013 12:25 AM

Out of curiosity, when would one need the TC? If I've just got the automatic 4x4 on in a snowstorm the TC would be on. Why would you want to turn it off? Just wondering.

aroundincircles 10-04-2013 07:43 AM

I turn it off all the time, especially when I'm running through a wash. Lots of wheel spin, and the TC kills your power by hitting the brakes. same with climbing hills that have a very lose/rocky surface.

TC is for unexpected slip, or brief slip that could cause you to get into an accident. I know that some people who live in snowy climates can do better starting on ice, without TC, but some do better with it...

so it really depends on the situation. if you never do much off roading, you'll never have a reason to turn it off. If you do a lot of off roading, you will.

BumpShaman 10-04-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniej (Post 15616109)
My wife's compass (2011) you can disable the esp completely by holding the esp button for 10 sec or so. It is FDII, but I don't think that has any bearing on it.

I know that when you just press the button once to turn it "partially" off, it shows an icon by the gauges with the feature off.

Do you see something different when you HOLD the button to turn it completely off? Or is it the same icon and you just have to trust that it's completely off?

aroundincircles 10-04-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpShaman (Post 16562377)
I know that when you just press the button once to turn it "partially" off, it shows an icon by the gauges with the feature off.

Do you see something different when you HOLD the button to turn it completely off? Or is it the same icon and you just have to trust that it's completely off?

you can only turn it all the way off if you have FDI, or FDII, if you have FWD you cannot turn it all the way off.

when you push and hold it, it chimes a 2nd time, and where it shows your odometer, it will say TSC OFF as well as the light lit up.

BumpShaman 10-04-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 16567777)
you can only turn it all the way off if you have FDI, or FDII, if you have FWD you cannot turn it all the way off.

when you push and hold it, it chimes a 2nd time, and where it shows your odometer, it will say TSC OFF as well as the light lit up.

Awesome, this is really good to know. I have FDI so this will come in handy.

I saw comments about when it is useful to turn if completely off. But I wonder when it would be necessary to have it partially off (by just pressing the button once)? If you could turn it off completely or have it on completely... how would partial functionality work and be any benefit?

aroundincircles 10-04-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumpShaman (Post 16568673)
Awesome, this is really good to know. I have FDI so this will come in handy.

I saw comments about when it is useful to turn if completely off. But I wonder when it would be necessary to have it partially off (by just pressing the button once)? If you could turn it off completely or have it on completely... how would partial functionality work and be any benefit?

It all depends on how much slip you want. I know when I lock my 4wd, and put it into low, it automatically partially disables the tc, as you expect wheel spin when off road. and only when I get to really lose stuff do I turn it off all the way.

BumpShaman 10-04-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aroundincircles (Post 16569721)
It all depends on how much slip you want. I know when I lock my 4wd, and put it into low, it automatically partially disables the tc, as you expect wheel spin when off road. and only when I get to really lose stuff do I turn it off all the way.

Awesome, thanks for the tips. Looks like I'll be fully disabling it when I hit the drive-on beach and inevitable snow.

aroundincircles 10-05-2013 12:21 AM

What kind of tires do you have? do you air down when you go? I highly recommend airing down when off road, especially in sand. I have one of these air pumps and it does an awesome job:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=780445_0_0_

I air down to 15psi, but I have larger than stock tires. Stocks I would air down to 20ish, maybe 25. Gives you a much bigger foot print and better traction.

http://notthemomma.com/wp-content/up...4/IMG_0076.jpg

BostonStrong 10-05-2013 06:57 AM

I turned it all the way off today to see and it said ESP OFF. Is that correct?
I'm hoping to see how the Patriot performs in the first big snowstorm up here with the Firestones before I look into winter tires.
Though it's still in the 70's :)

The time now is 02:48 AM.