JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Factory Trailer Wiring Harness Installation (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/factory-trailer-wiring-harness-installation-553129/)

coachwillb 05-01-2008 10:56 AM

Factory Trailer Wiring Harness Installation

install a trailer tow wiring kit to a jeep compass? I would like to add a hitch and kit. When I called the dealer they gave me a quote of all but $400for a class I hitch, and kit installed. I found a after marked class III hitch for $107, and wire kit for $48. I know the hitch is only 4 bolts. How hard is it to install the kit and will it effect my warranty. Thanks for the help

Gramps 05-01-2008 12:48 PM

Here are the "How to's":

Hitch Installation

Engine Oil Cooler and Trailer Wiring Harness

The harness installation is a little incomplete because we don't have pictures of an actual installation but it should give you some ideas. You also may not need the Engine Oil Cooler, depending on what you want to tow.

Is it difficult? A geezer can do it, right?

Laloggia 05-01-2008 03:14 PM

Make sure you get the wire harness kit specifically for the Compass. The one for the Patriot will not work. I know this by experience. There are two different part numbers. Also, do not use a universal wire harness that you splice into the taillights. This will not work properly....trust me...i tried taking the cheap way out and the computer doesn't like it. The mopar kit designed for the Compass has relays built into the harness that it needs to work correctly. Easy install with the correct parts.

coachwillb 05-04-2008 06:38 AM

Gramps

Do I need a oil cooler if i have a manual transmission? Sorry for my ignorance,:confused: but I never needed one for me wrangler. I also wanted to know what is the top weight you would tow with your compass. The dealer told me no more than 1000lbs. Thanks again Will

Gramps 05-04-2008 07:12 AM

1000 lbs without the cooler, 1500 with. Most vehicles take a trans oil cooler on the Automatic (the CVT already has one of those) but this is an engine oil cooler that taps off of the radiator hoses and goes between the block and oil filter.

coachwillb 05-05-2008 08:32 AM

Gramps

Thanks again for your help. When I went to order the engine oil cooler for my compass, the dealer told me my car already has one and I don't have to order one. Do they all have one and I have to upgrade to a better one, is he wrong, or am I just lucky? He did take my VIN# to confirm.

Gramps 05-05-2008 09:04 AM

If you ordered it with the Trailer Tow Package it will alredy have the engine oil cooler. There is only one. Do you already have yours or is it coming from another dealer?

coachwillb 05-05-2008 09:39 AM

I don't have a tow package. My jeep dealer told me i could not order a engine oil cooler b/c my car came with one. I am not sure... I guess I should take it in and have him check it / have him show me it. :confused::confused::confused:

Gramps 05-05-2008 10:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Look under the front end at the Oil Filter. The first pic is without the cooler the second pic is with the Oil Cooler.

TAS121 07-02-2008 08:05 AM

I just got my harness last week. Going to be a bit of a pain since you have to run a wire from the back up to the battery. I thought it would just plug into the back.

OnRoad 07-02-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAS121 (Post 5404583)
I just got my harness last week. Going to be a bit of a pain since you have to run a wire from the back up to the battery. I thought it would just plug into the back.

The Mopar one? That does not make any sense. I would suggest that you verify the part number just in case.....

TAS121 07-02-2008 01:12 PM

Yes, it's from the dealer. I will double check the part #. It said on the bag for Compass.

Gentleman 07-02-2008 03:44 PM

The one all the way to the front is the one I installed, if you installed the hitch before the harness you may have to drop the hitch or have some very tiny fingers, you need to drill a 1/2" hole in the metal plug under the tire and run the entire harness minus the relays through the hole

Bob

TAS121 07-02-2008 04:34 PM

I checked the part #, its right. The part that sucks is I paid around $125(cdn). The aftermarket one is only $55. I wen't with the OEM one because I thought it just pluged in at the back like someone showed in a pic. No big deal, will just be a bit longer to install than I thought.

Gramps 07-02-2008 04:46 PM

Be careful on the aftermarket ones. If you get the correct one, depending if you have 2 ('08) or 3 ('07) bulbs in your tail light housing you'll be fine (so I hear). The wrong one screws with your computer.

Still lazy, haven't bought my harness yet let alone install it.

The time now is 05:43 AM.