Extra key ... It can be done for less - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Extra key ... It can be done for less

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #16
PirateKatz

Well, I took the advice of others on the forum and ordered a key off of eBay. I took it to our hardware store and had them cut it for me. After they cut it, I verified it worked by opening the driver's door.

For the heck of it, I tried it in the ignition too. Since it was unprogrammed, I put it in the ignition cylinder to see if it would rotate it. Oddly enough, it did rotate the cylinder and the car fired right up.

Does anyone know what this means? I have an '08 Compass Sport w/out EVIC. Does this mean there is something wrong with the passive anti-theft system in my car? It just occurred to me, is it possible having the factory key in my pocket allowed the unprogrammed one to work? Does it give off a signal that strong? Is it all just a big coincidence?

PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yes, it will run for 10 - 20 seconds (maybe a little more) and then shut off. Don't try and drive it with out an unprogrammed key, you won't get very far.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #18
PirateKatz

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the anti-theft stuff was on a delay. We had a key "go bad" on one of our Fords and the car wouldn't start at all. Live and learn :-)
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I just went out and tried to start mine with the totally plain Jain no chip key that I carry in my wallet. It turned over but wouldn't run the first time. Then it wouldn't even do that. I have this key so that if I lock my others inside at least I can unlock the door (security alarm blasting away and all) and retrieve my keys and turn it all off. I think with a chip key you can start it, it looks for the code and then quits if it's not the right one. With my plain Jane there is nothing to try and read at all so it just quits. If that's not how it works then it's at least a darn good lie!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
monjon
2004 WJ 

when I bought my WJ the salesperson made the booboo of promising me an extra key (only had 1 fob/key). So when I brought it back in for some other work to be done, they had to bite the bullet and give up the new key. They programmed one extra key and fob just fine, but for some reason there was another spare key on the ring. It was cut, just not programmed. I went out and did the program steps and it worked like a charm.

Just a hint though, if you've got an over-excited salesperson you may be able to get an extra key and fob out of the deal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.