Extra key ... It can be done for less - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Extra key ... It can be done for less

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
rob_rector
2007 MK Compass 

Extra key ... It can be done for less

My dealership wanted like $80 for another key for my Compass. I found a blank on the bay, had it cut at a local locksmith (who did it for free). I followed the instructions that came with the blank. Now I have a third key for under $20.

'07 Compass Limited 4X4: K&N Air charger, Borla cat back exhaust, Rocky Road Lift kit, Firestone Destination A/T 245/65/17's, Red painted brake calipers, Pioneer AVIC Z2, Sirius, iPod interface, Polk Audio 6X9s (all 4 doors), Polk Audio Tweeters (dash), Polk Audio 6.5s (rear hatch), 2 Kicker CVR 10" Sub woofers in custom enclosure (hidden), Eclipse XA4000 4 channel & XA1000 1 channel amplifiers.

Peep my ride: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031696
rob_rector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

agree 100%, this goes for almost all JDC vehicles.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
DixiesCJ3B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea i did the same thing here is a site that helps you program the keys, just ignore that it says WJ, it works for any SKIS key
http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

1954 CJ3B Willys
Hurricane 4, 3-spd with Warn Overdrive, Snow-plow

NGJC# 15
Low Output 4 cylinder Jeep Club Member #166
Build Thread
Are You An Offroad Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
This "Jeep thing" is like dating a really really hot chick, who is crazy! Its alot of fun, you spend too much money, your up all night ending up sweaty & greasy from it, your friends are jealous, you get admission into some sort of weird club... but it gets mad at your for no reason, throws fits seemingly randomly, has unexplained issues which it somehow solves on its own only after you try a bunch of different things (and spend a bunch of money) to solve it... and yet you can't resist getting in it every chance you can.
DixiesCJ3B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

This is true for most transponder keys- if you have one or two already programmed keys you can program more keys.

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is what I've done for keys. I bought 1 plain Jane, flat, no chip key from ACE hardware for a couple of bucks that I can keep in my wallet. I have 1 extra Sentry Security Key with the remote door locks and panic button hidden in the Jeep. If I ever lock my keys inside or lose them I can use the one in my wallet to unlock and grab the real key to turn off the alarm and I'm all set.

Ebay probably is the best place to get blank keys. The wife has the set up pictured in DixiesCJ3B's post and MK's have either of the 2 pictured below. My panic/Alarm Key goes for about $120 at the dealer and I picked one up on eBay for $60. The less fancy Sentry Keys can be had for much less on eBay as noted above.
keys.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
patriotowner

Key racket

When I got my Patriot (used rental) for my daughter, the dealer (not Jeep) had only one key. I asked how much a key would cost and I got answers ranging from $1.50 to $12 to $50. Not knowing much about these keys with transponders (I drive a 2000 Dodge Ram, simple keys) I accepted the answer - mistake! A new key cost $190!!!! from a Jeep dealer. What a racket!!

But now that I have two keys I can get the inexpensive blanks with transponders, have them cut and program them in the ignition. Or so I hope. Will find out in a couple of weeks when the keys get here. I ordered them off of eBay.
patriotowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Page 17 of the ’08 Owners manual Note: "ON" means "RUN" position not "ACCESORY". Just don't crank it.

Customer Key Programming
If you have two valid sentry keys, you can program new sentry keys to the system by performing the following procedure:
1. Cut the additional Sentry Key Transponder blank(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder key code.
2. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for at least 3 seconds, but no longer than 15-seconds. Then, turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and remove the first key.
3. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position within 15 seconds. After ten seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position and remove the second key.
4. Insert a blank Sentry Key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the indicator light will turn on again for 3 seconds and then turn off. The new Sentry Key is programmed.
The Keyless Entry Transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure. Repeat this procedure to program up to 8 keys. If you do not have a programmed sentry key, contact your dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the systems
memory. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. The remaining keys must then be reprogrammed. All vehicle keys must be taken to the dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed.

It does work.

Unread 04-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
patriotowner

Got my keys from eBay and had Ace Hardware cut them. To my surprise they did it for free! Got to the car and my first attempt at programming didn't work, but I had the door closed. I then tried it with the door open and it worked. I don't know why but the door had to be open.

Saved me a bunch of money....and I didn't have to switch my car insurance...........
Unread 04-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Links to Online Manuals available in this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/quick-links-mks-off-road-tsbs-parts-books-much-more-519045/

Unread 06-06-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Key Question

Took delivery of my new 08 Compass on Monday. Asked the dealer about another key, parts department said $135 for the key + $40 for the shop to match it = $175, a bit much, anybody know if it`s available aftermarket ?
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Diehard

2004 WJ 

Pm sent.
2004 GC Spec. Edit. V8 4x4 Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat, 4" lift, RE shocks, adj. JKS CAs all around, 265/75/16, 10 ply., Maxxis Bighorns, ProtoFab winch bumper, Vortex 10,000 lb. winch, dual OME steering stabilizer, Rockyroad rockrails, skids, JKS Discos. Addco front & rear sway bar, & Aussie locker. Next year? : Rear bumper with tire carrier.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #12
patriotowner

Autocar,

If you don't already have a second remote/key combo then you may have to shell out the big bucks at first. The dealer will have to program the remote portion of the key. Once you have two working remote/key combos you can buy the aftermarket keys and program them yourself. I got mine on eBay for $30 and programmed them in the ingnition.
Unread 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
PirateKatz

I already have two keys for my Compass but would really like a third to keep as a backup. Will any hardware store be able to cut a blank from eBay? Did you guys get a funny look for bringing your own in?
PirateKatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

No funny looks, most shops realize that the Security keys are something special that they just can't get. My ACE Hardware cut it for free because I had my own key. Some of the "hi-tech" key machines like at Home Depot can't cut them because they don't fit in the holders.

Unread 06-18-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
Autocar
2011 KJ Liberty 

Want to thank you for the advice on getting the transponder key off of Transponder Island via E-Bay. Got the blank for $59 [with tax & shipping], took it to a local locksmith $6 to cut it, 2 minutes to program it & for $65 the same key dealer wanted $175.
Autocar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.