Exhaust system from scratch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Exhaust system from scratch

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Exhaust system from scratch

Instead of buying an $800 exhaust system, could someone handy with welding make their own from tubing? and where would be a good place to get the tubing, can you buy it at NAPA or some place similar?

Unread 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

mine wasnt $800 it was $400 (off of ebay) ... you could... someone a while back basically bought his own muffler and had it swapped it out for the stock muffler... you figure muffler ~$100-$150 + materials + labor.... get some prices and take a look at some universal mufflers... i almost did a custom exhaust on mine.
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The OEM exhaust and most aftermarket cat-back systems are mandrel bent and that pipe bought at parts stores is not.Big difference in flow rate between mandrel bends and non-mandrel bends,reduction can be as much as 25% for non-mandrel bent pipe.Plus the aftermarket systems are designed to still work with your engine to keep the exhaust pulses the same or improve them(free's up some HP,not much though).
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

Cant i use the same pipe? and just replace that huge mother F**ker of a pillow we have as muffler? or is there no gain in HP/MPG from that?
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
Cant i use the same pipe? and just replace that huge mother F**ker of a pillow we have as muffler? or is there no gain in HP/MPG from that?
Sure you can just replace the muffler.You will not gain any HP from it,just more noise depending on muffler used.You may "feel" more power but it is just the noise and the PCM will "learn" back to prior performance shortly anyways unless you reprogram the PCM to the increased flow.Then you got to free up the incoming air and internal working to get any lasting and measurable effect.
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

ahh so useless unless i want to sound like a civic. which i don't. Basically i will have to get a "CAI" and have a shop work on custom headers and a have to buy a magnaflow cat back system and then have the computer updated if i want to see any difference?
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystrong68w View Post
ahh so useless unless i want to sound like a civic. which i don't. Basically i will have to get a "CAI" and have a shop work on custom headers and a have to buy a magnaflow cat back system and then have the computer updated if i want to see any difference?
Yep and then you have to add some different grind cam(s) and head work(porting and such),may get 25-50hp and loose most of the low end power as the gain will all be at the high rpm range.
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
armystrong68w
2008 MK Patriot 

stupid POS car... they should have used a more efficient I6 instead of the I4
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #9
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Agreed. Or perhaps an automatic.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You get what you pay for: a new computerized vehicle that meets the standards imposed by the g'ment that has VERY limited modification capability so that it maintains those standards. That's the way it is these days. You knew what you were buying and if you wanted an I6 then that's what you should have bought. It is what it is but I don't consider it a POS just because you can't turn it in to something else.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #11
lidhead
2009 MK Compass 

So... how do you reprogram the PCM after the exhaust and intake has been replaced? Do you have to take it to the dealer? Or does AutoZone have one of those programmers you can rent? Just curious.

I am thinking of replacing my exhaust with pipe and an aftermarket muffler from autozone, and I just want to be prepared. There's no way in hell I'm paying $400 for something I can do myself.
Unread 10-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
w4rh4wk
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidhead View Post
So... how do you reprogram the PCM after the exhaust and intake has been replaced? Do you have to take it to the dealer? Or does AutoZone have one of those programmers you can rent? Just curious.

I am thinking of replacing my exhaust with pipe and an aftermarket muffler from autozone, and I just want to be prepared. There's no way in hell I'm paying $400 for something I can do myself.
autozone isnt going to know how to performance tune your PCM. you need to find a dyno tuner in your area that does mopar. FYI dyno tuning can cost up too $400 because they might require you to buy PCM programer. Why do you need a dyno tune when doing PCM performance upgrade? Because you DO NOT want your car running too rich or too lean. This is why i never liked cookie cutter programming kits for any car's computer.... every car is different!
Pioneer AVIC-X910BT Radio + Jensen JCAM1 Rearview Backup Cam, K&N 63-1567 Performance Intake , Magnaflow Exhaust Part #16777 (Yes it will fit on a 4x4 2011 Compass), Mopar Chrome Fuel Door, Cargo Area Security Cover, Husky floor mats, Mopar Front & Rear Molded Splash Guards
w4rh4wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lidhead View Post

You send your PCM to a place like in the link below.....

http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/

And yes expect to pay about $400 for the tune and kiss any warranty good bye.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.