Evidence of negative review bias. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Evidence of negative review bias.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 02-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
GMC2MK
2014 MK Compass 

Evidence of negative review bias.

There seems to be a bias against the Compass by a lot of reviewers that at this point should be more or less mute. The 2014 model year fixed most of the common complaints with upgraded things like the much maligned CVT was replaced with whatís considered a good working 6 speed automatic transmission and the windshield now helps quieting some of the road noise.

To a large degree it comes down to itís a Jeep but itís not a Rubicon or even a Wrangler. I believe buyers are aware of that going in but to automobile writers all Jeeps are Rubiconís or theyíre not Jeeps. I noticed in more than one review of small SUVs the Compass was rated on itís off road capabilities and it was not even addressed for the others being reviewed.

There is a bunch of stuff I havenít driven even on a test drive that were on my possible list: any Subaru, Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX-5, Ford Escape, and several other small SUVs that are made in AWD. So other that reading a lot of reviews this was not an informed decision before buying.

The barrier I had to cross was the wife, she had to like the vehicle inside and out plus go along with the purchase. She went and at least sat in a few of the possibilities and other than the Subaruís didnít really want any. The next barrier other than the Subaru about all the others available locally at the time were in FWD not AWD, I wanted an AWD vehicle.

From where we live there are no import dealers within 50 miles but there is a Jeep dealer within about 10 miles. That played a factor in the decision too. So in spite of the reviews Iíd read we went and took the Compass on a test drive and the wife loved it. It is the AWD Sport model with the 6 speed automatic. I paid a little more than I wanted to because of some options on the vehicle that I wouldnít have ordered but with taxes, tags, title, and their nearly thousand dollar delivery fee I got it out the door for a hair over 25K.

Anyway I donít know if before 2014 there were any real issues with a Compass but it s ďexpertĒ reviews are in my mind questionable. In a lot of cases they rated the 2014 but it was based on prior reviews and predicted reliability because they had not driven a 2014 Compass yet. This coupled with some of the owner reviews on Compassís seem a little shady makes me believe there are forces at work that donít make reading all the reviews posted worth the time it takes. So to me now it seem like you might as well do a seat of the pants review and save your eyesight.

Anyone else seen evidence of this?

GMC2MK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Hell, we have an '08 Compass we bought in late '07, and except for front ball joints wearing prematurely, and replacing the battery after 4 years, it's been perfect. It's my wife's DD, and I can't get her to even look at another vehicle. Screw all the "expert" reviews. Test drive the vehicles you're interested in, and buy the one you like best.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Redpine
2014 MK Patriot 

It sounds like you have a bit of buyer's remorse. My purchase of our Patriot was unnerving, as I didn't like ANYTHING currently on the market and the Pat was the closest I could find to meet my needs, but not exactly a vehicle that "called out to me". We looked at and test drove everything and my wife also liked the Pat best out of the bunch. We considered a CRV, but couldn't get price down nearly enough.

Yes, the rags tend to hate the Patriot and Compass. These vehicles are old school and fall behind the "new kid on the block" mentality that everything must follow the fad. Get used to it. It takes some integrity and character to own something other than the fashion show newbies.

If it makes you feel any better, here is a recent relatively positive review of the Patriot (most can be applied to the Compass): http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...ithout-the-cvt

And, here is a relatively negative review of the 2014 Forester: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...touring-page-2 Check out the Forester forum and you will learn of numerous disgruntled owners dealing with high oil consumption issues. Several engine re-designs have occurred since 2011.

Also what I find ironic is that while the magazine and web sites tend to give mediocre reviews of the Compass and Patriot, actual owner reviews tend to be quite high. Do some deep digging and some sites give these Jeep products as good as, or better reliability ratings also. It just depends on which information you choose to believe.

Last edited by Redpine; 02-03-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Redpine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #4
Tyler-98-W68
2012 MK Compass 

I drove a 2008 FDII Patriot for 4 years, then upgraded to a 2012 FDII Compass, these vehicles for the most part have gotten **** reviews from the start. So after having been in one for 6 years, I don't think its a bad vehicle at all, yes they are a bit slow and the cvt takes some time to get used to but I drive mostly around town and don't need lots of speed. Fuel economy is great, and in the FDII trim I surprise a lot of people when it comes to going offroad. The local 4x4 club laughed at me the first time I showed up, they no longer laugh.

For what they are, they are a great vehicle, only other jeep I would consider is the new 2014 Cherokee, but since I just bought my Compass 2 years ago it's too soon to upgrade.
Tyler-98-W68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #5
GMC2MK
2014 MK Compass 

No remorse on the purchase at all, in fact everyday I'm a little happier. I was just surprised a how badly they are treated by some reviewers. As I said I haven't driven any of the others in this class that are suppose to be so much better but if the Compass is suppose to be among the worst of the small SUVs the others must be absolutely freaky fabulous.
I have bought mostly used cars over the years this is the 1st new one since 1986. One of the things I look at is if the engine design is stable, give me an older time tested design every time over 1st model year new technology under the hood (some times there be dragons). The World engines used in these platforms have a good track record.
On this note I read in one owner review to avoid the V6 in the new Compass and that's one of the things where I started to suspect all reviews are not done on the level. I also decided to steer clear of the rotary engines and inline 8 Compass models too.
Mamas happy so I'm thrilled with her new Compass while that type review lacks scientific and comparison data it's the one that counts at my house.
GMC2MK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #6
srq2002
2010 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC2MK
No remorse on the purchase at all, in fact everyday I'm a little happier. I was just surprised a how badly they are treated by some reviewers. As I said I haven't driven any of the others in this class that are suppose to be so much better but if the Compass is suppose to be among the worst of the small SUVs the others must be absolutely freaky fabulous.
I have bought mostly used cars over the years this is the 1st new one since 1986. One of the things I look at is if the engine design is stable, give me an older time tested design every time over 1st model year new technology under the hood (some times there be dragons). The World engines used in these platforms have a good track record.
On this note I read in one owner review to avoid the V6 in the new Compass and that's one of the things where I started to suspect all reviews are not done on the level. I also decided to steer clear of the rotary engines and inline 8 Compass models too.
Mamas happy so I'm thrilled with her new Compass while that type review lacks scientific and comparison data it's the one that counts at my house.
I tend to think the original poster is correct, although lately the reviews aren't quite as negative. Personally, I'm starting year four with a 2010 Compass 5 speed, and think it's a great little SUV. Don't laugh, but I enjoy driving it more than my Mercedes E320.

In part, I think it's a question of what one likes. I grew up in little sports cars and sports sedans (Triumph, Jensen Healey, Opel, etc.), and the Jeep reminds me of these; very 'tossable', snappy steering response, a bit of vibration, very direct feel, etc. Quirky but with persinality.

These days, a large percentage of the public wants what I term 'commuting appliances', bland but smooth vehicles. Think Toyota. The Compass isn't the best fit for these folks. And, of course, otters won't like the Compass because it's not a Wrangler.

My favorite review complaint is supposedly poor visibility because of the wide D posts, yet I see a Toyota model with a similar feature and no review complaints. Heck, I can't even see that pillar - the rear seat headrests are in the way!

Drive what you like, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks!
srq2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.