ERROR CODE P0700 help if you can - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > ERROR CODE P0700 help if you can

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
ericgormley713

ERROR CODE P0700 help if you can

Driving home from work, my 2007 jeep compass began to redline and wouldn't shift out of 1st gear (automatic transmission). The check engine light came on and I had to drive it home in limp mode. I'm hoping it's something simple, so please help if you have experienced this or know what is going on. The error code i received from autozone is "transaxle control system fault." Let me know what you think and thanks for your help

ericgormley713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately that's just a generic code you'll need to have a garage with a proper scanner read the fault codes from the transmission control module.
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
RHartfiel

My wife's 2007 Compass did pretty much the same thing this past weekend. She was able to override the "limp home" mode by turning off the engine and restarting it but it would eventually do it again. I thought it was a CVT+4 fluid issue as we had not serviced the CVT Transmission yet, so I topped it up with a couple of litres last night but that didn't help. It will not exceed 40kms per hour but it seems to run smoothly with no noises or clunking at all. She has around 122000 Kms on it to date. Any assistance would be appreciated.
RHartfiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
RHartfiel

Turned out to be a wiring issue. The wiring harness that runs along the drivers side fender was rubbing at one of the cut outs and wore though the sheathing of three wires. One to a point of a single strand of wire (this was the main communication wire between the CVT and the Computer that caused the Communications error and the engine light to come on and engaged the Limp Home mode). Replaced the wires and communication was restored and the error cleared. Had the Fluids and Filter changed while it was being serviced as well $600.00 later, it runs like a charm again with no more issues.
RHartfiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
musichog
2010 MK Compass 

I also had the P0700 code and further inspection received translates to code P161b
My problem had a simple fix.
The negative battery cable was loose. I guess after the recall they didn't tighten cable back. No more problem in 9 months
musichog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.