Engine Stumble on Acceleration TSB 18-031-07 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Engine Stumble on Acceleration TSB 18-031-07

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #61
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks!

Thanks for this information guys, I spent an afternoon on google searching for "jeep compass jerk, jerking, lag" and didn't find anything. Glad I took the time to wade through old posts!

davep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #62
Jeepster55

had this TSB done on mine Wednesday. yesterday AM, no problems! ran much better.........if only they hadn't parked my Compass into a high concrete curb and scraped up my front fascia......
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #63
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster55 View Post
had this TSB done on mine Wednesday. yesterday AM, no problems! ran much better.........if only they hadn't parked my Compass into a high concrete curb and scraped up my front fascia......
Should of got the lift kit!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM   #64
jbjeepguy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Should of got the lift kit!
Then they would hit the roof on a tree limb

07 Compass, FDI, CVT
jbjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #65
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Does anyone know if this TSB changes the way the car stumbles on slowing down?

Here's an example of what I'm experiencing. I let off the gas to begin to slow down, but I've not yet applied any breaks. The engine RPM slowly drops, and at about 1500 RPM, the engine drops sharply to about 1000 rpm and the car stumbles. Then, if I give it a little gas, the RPM jumps to 1500 and the car stumbles again.

I'm assuming stumble is the correct way to describe a general interruption in acceleration/deceleration. It is similar to how a gear shift feels in a normal auto, but I thought these CVT's didn't have gears? Also, I don't remember feeling downshifts on a standard auto....
Unread 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #66
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Dave, A quick explanation is that it has to do with engine braking and some of it can be over come by keeping a light foot on the gas pedal and "train" the transmission to eliminate this and some say it's the trans breaking in. Whatever the real reason is I don't know but it does go away.

Here's some links that may help to explain it.

CVT2 Operation – Lurching

Compass Transmission Question

CVT question. Coasting not allowed?

Unread 04-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #67
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Hmm.. Maybe the creative addition of a rubber spacer on the gas pedal can trick the computer into letting me decide who's in charge of turning the engine on and off.
Unread 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #68
davep
2007 MK Compass 

So, I called my local Jeep dealer to do this TSB on my car, and he spent about 5 minutes telling me that they don't do these unless they can reproduce the issue, and they don't do reprogramming unless it's absolutely required because of potential side effects, bla bla bla.

I could tell this wasn't going to go very well, so I just said 'Oh, by the way my dad works there at your dealership' ... Immediately his tune changed! He went from treating me like a 'know-nothing customer' to a guest at his house... telling me stories of TSB's gone bad and how he's always afraid that doing one will cause something else to get screwed up. Needless to say he scheduled an appointment for the TSB moments later without question.

It's a shame I have to be related to an employee at the dealership to be taken seriously. Anyhoo, this is the major reason I hate working with car dealers... I'm sure if they had a choice they'd only sell the cars and let someone else deal with the aftermath.
Unread 04-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #69
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Hmmmm I think I'm going to check with the dealer when I take it back for my first oil change later this month. I assume that they should just be able to read the level of code on the PCM to see if its been already flashed? (I bought my Compass with 25K miles on it already and it's been on the road for about 2 years) I've noticed that there have been times where there isnt a smooth or uniform feel to the acceleration even though I am applying what I believe to be a steady, constant pressure to the gas pedal.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #70
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
Hmmmm I think I'm going to check with the dealer when I take it back for my first oil change later this month. I assume that they should just be able to read the level of code on the PCM to see if its been already flashed? (I bought my Compass with 25K miles on it already and it's been on the road for about 2 years) I've noticed that there have been times where there isnt a smooth or uniform feel to the acceleration even though I am applying what I believe to be a steady, constant pressure to the gas pedal.
Suggestion: Print out the TSB, take it in and TELL them you have the hesitation, ping or anything reasonable and ask them to check it out. The previous owner may not have know about it and just accepted it. It may even be why they traded it it. That's good news for you if that's what happened!

Unread 04-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #71
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Suggestion: Print out the TSB, take it in and TELL them you have the hesitation, ping or anything reasonable and ask them to check it out. The previous owner may not have know about it and just accepted it. It may even be why they traded it it. That's good news for you if that's what happened!
Thanks Gramps,

I've already got it printed out and was exactly planning on doing that.

Is there a forum on here where the known TSB's are collected where we can look through to see if something might match up with any issues we may experience? I've seen one or two referenced in individual posts, but nothing centralized to contain a list of them that can be added to or updated. just an idea......
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #72
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They're in the "sticky's" MK's Off-Road, Parts Books and quick links

Unread 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #73
Jeepster55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjeepguy View Post
Then they would hit the roof on a tree limb
come on, you can tell me......you've been to my dealer, haven't you?
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #74
Jeepster55

Quote:
Suggestion: Print out the TSB, take it in and TELL them you have the hesitation, ping or anything reasonable and ask them to check it out.

even though i'm the original owner, i had to do this too.....our service dept had that 'deer in the headlights look' when i mentioned this TSB. so when i dropped it off, i had a copy of the TSB in the night drop envelope for the service advisor.

it's been MUCH better since then......
Unread 04-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #75
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
The TSB says the dealer is required by law to add a sticker with the indicated service next to the VECI label. If your build date is before April 21, 2007 and you don't have the sticker, it can be assumed you don't have this TSB.

My build date is on the inside of the driver's door, and my VECI label is on the inside lip of the hood... I'm assuming they stick 'em in the same spots on all compasses.

- Dave

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.