Engine Stumble on Acceleration TSB 18-031-07 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Engine Stumble on Acceleration TSB 18-031-07

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
lynnk

Engine Stumble on Acceleration TSB 18-031-07

I've notice a stumble on acceleration recently on my Compass. It seems to be worse when the engine is cold. When it is cold and you press the pedal part way down for a normal acceleration, the engine almost stalls and then catches and launches you forward. After is warms up, there is still a stumble there with a partial pedal but not as bad.... you can feel the car surging as it picks up speed .. it's not a nice smooth acceleration. If you give it a lot of pedal, you don't seem to notice the problem. I've got an appointment for the shop on Monday but just wandering if anybody else has experience the same problem or have any ideas on what the problem might be.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
CVT2 Autostick
Remote Start
RAQ Radio w/ Sirius
lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Had my compass at the dealer for this problem also. Dealer checked the computer for error codes and found nothing, they also of course could not replicate the problem so they did nothing. As the weather here warmed up the problem has diminished. I'm planning to try to get them to install the TSB 18-031-07 "Launch Performance/Driveability enhancements" since my compass falls into the manufacture date range for that update. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll have it back at the dealer in the fall when the weather cools off.

Good luck.... If you get a resolution please post it for the rest of us....
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
eighteenwheeler

wow... that happens to my girl when she drives it. It's her car, but she's only put about 50 miles on it... I've put 400, and never been able to replicate the problem. It's happened to her 4 or 5 times when I've been in the car. Therefore I've come to the conclusion through this research that if you gain 200 lbs and grow 6" taller, and accellerate with the engine like your a man, The problem is solved.

haha- if you find a real solution or what causes it, tell me. I'll go mess around with it in a little bit.
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 6 cyl auto
eighteenwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Therefore I've come to the conclusion through this research that if you gain 200 lbs and grow 6" taller, and accellerate with the engine like your a man, The problem is solved.

Well that is a theory.... However if I gain 200 lbs I wouldn't want to try to get into my compass....
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I notice it on some mornings, I'm not really sure what it is. What was your build date? Mine was something like September 06.
Unread 06-14-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Well that is a theory.... However if I gain 200 lbs I wouldn't want to try to get into my compass.....
I think I'd have to drive from the back seat.

I did report some on this on mine way back in mid winter but I does sound like this is a different problem. I'm talking near zero degrees or below and only when I didn't give it a chance at all to warm up and it certainly didn't continue to stumble after the first time. I'd back out of the drive way, put it in drive and I'd get a hesitation, drive 30 -40 feet to the stop sign , take off from there and no problem. It was that minor. It happened maybe half a dozen times until I figured out enough to let it warm up just for a bit. Like i said, this doesn't sound like the same problem.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoriolisSTORM
I notice it on some mornings, I'm not really sure what it is. What was your build date? Mine was something like September 06.
Mine has a 10-06 build date, so I'm not far off from yours.

I have noticed that the stumble occurs on mine when the engine is cold, if you run it up the street it goes away quickly and then takes 3-4 hours of cooling prior to to re-occuring. My thought was a cylinder head temp sensor that is out of spec, since it heats up quickly but takes quite some time to cool back down. I have not gotten around to finding out the specs for that however and testing it.... ( It is just a guess anyway) Once the weather gets cold again I'll probably get around to it.

Cars just never seem to mis-behave when at the dealer....
Unread 06-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Mistyfate

Mine does the same as well...sometimes when it is really cold....less than ten degrees..and other times when it is warmer...around 40-50. Certain instances seem more severe than others...and generally it occurs when I am switching from reverse into drive (as I back outta my drive way). It has not done that recently...

although I have noticed that sometimes when I turn my key all the way the engine does not start right away and there is a delay...and sometimes it does not start at all (or even try to start)...and I have to remove my key and try again. For the most part it always eventually starts and this occurs in hot and cold weather.

I got my Compass in July 06...so it was one of the first ones made...
Mistyfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
jetjane

I get that same stumble when it is cold or even just cool out. Mine has even stalled a couple of times. It does start right up after though.

I also sometimes get a hesitation when I am trying to accelerate quickly..like when I'm trying to cross a busy highway or after turning onto a highway and want to get up to speed quickly because there is traffic coming. In these instances, I am almost flooring it and my compass very slowly accelerates so I floor it and it still doesn't go. I then let off the gas completely and try again...then it seems to accelerate quickly like I wanted. Does anyone else notice this or does my car just not like me and wants me dead?
jetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Most of these complaints sound like they would fall under this TSB relating to

Launch Performance / Driveability Enhancements

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_1803107.pdf

Also covered in these threads.

Compass performance

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/compass-performance-421942/

Patriot Engine noise.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/patriot-engine-noise-425446/

Unread 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
jetjane

Thanks Gramps. That does sound like what my Compass needs.
jetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
snikr

I've had much the same thing on our Compass when it's cold. If you back out to our road and hit the gas to back out into the road it'll hesitate a little. Once you run it down the road a bit...no problem. Or if you let it run for a minute no problem. I'll have to have the dealer check this out if it keeps up. Good info.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
lynnk

Well ... took it to the dealer this morning and gave him a copy of many of the comments on this forum and a copy of the TSB for Launch Performance and Drivability. Just got a call .. they finished .... said the TSB was only for Manual Transmission vehicles when they pulled it up on their computer. (The TSB has CVT written all over it.) They cleaned the Throttle Body and said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I've picked it up and will drive it some and see if it is any different ... but my guess is that nothing has changed. If it occurs again, they want me to bring it in and let it there overnight so they can see the problem when it is first started. Frustrated.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
CVT2 Autostick
Remote Start
RAQ Radio w/ Sirius
lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

I had my Compass in for an oil change and asked the dealer about the TSB 18-031-07 "Launch Performance/Driveability enhancements". He flashed the ECU and TCM units while he had the car in his shop. It has made a major improvement in my Compass. The engine tach's up much faster off the line, I actually had to get used to the car all over again. Overall the engine and CVT seem to interact in a much smoother manner than before. So far it looks as though I have picked up about 1.5-2 mpg since the mod, but I really need to go through a couple of more tanks of gas to get a good average to compare.

However I have had some trouble not squealing the tires when I pull out.
Unread 08-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

OK, THAT's on my "list of things to do" Thx!

I bought a cheapie stop watch off of eBay and have done a few trials to get a baseline. Pretty consistent at 0 - 60 in 12 seconds flat. I was doing that so when I got around to the K&N I had something to go by. I think I'll get this done first and maybe establish a new baseline.

Squealing the tires with a CVT, I can only do that on corners.

Has anybody else had this TSB performed?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.