Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
the mad hatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Electronic Throttle Control (ETC)

After doing a 6 hour drive, the ETC light as well as the ESP light came on a few seconds after I pulled into the garage and was about the shut the patriot off.

The next day I drove it and there was no light and no noticeable difference in performance. Drove it again this morning and again no light.

Has anyone else ran into this?

I'm wondering if I should still have it checked out even though the light hasn't come back?

My rig: 2007 Patriot Limited, Auto, 4x4, FDI, CVTII, 13k miles.

Unread 04-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Are you able to pull any codes? That's the first thing that the dealer will look for.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
the mad hatter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't tried to check that yet. But there is no check engine light or anything. The ETC light only came on that one time at the end of our trip and I haven't seen it again. Just for good measure yesterday I did the relearn procedure for the accelerator.

It may just be a fluke. We'd driven 6 hours, mostley on cruise control in high winds so my RPMs were abnormally high most of the trip to compensate. And when we got home I was about 30 miles from an empty tank.
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Rculv

Electronic throttle control

This is exactly what just happened to me for the second time after a four hour drive in my 2007 Compass. Ever figure out what it is?
Rculv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

We would need the "P" code to really break it down and trouble shoot it. Unfortunately the key on/off method doesn't appear to work on the MK's so a trip to a parts store or dealer to run the codes wound be necessary.

HOWEVER! We have found that, for whatever reason, the sensor are lost in trying to find the minimum and maximum positions. In several cases this has been do to the TPS freezing up during an extended trip in very cold weather.

This is written concerning the CVT operation but is also used to reset the TPS in some cases. It's worth a try if it continues to act up. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/i...sponse-564386/

Unread 04-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
dommy92

I had this problem last Sat night. I just took my Patriot in just this morning. I am hoping that it isn't going to be anything too big. From the sounds of everyones comments, no one had a major issue. Fingers crossed Mad hatter....I have the same exact car as you.
dommy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If people would leave some feedback ... I haven't heard of a solution except I do remember reports of the TPS freezing up on long trips in the winter but you're in San Diego, I just don't think that's your problem.

Unread 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #8
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Mine has frozen up on a long trip. Stuck the throttle body open. Dealer replaced the throttle body, even though I don't think it was actually defective. However, this hasn't happened since, and this was years ago.
Nabis is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.