EBC brake pads Yellowstuff anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > EBC brake pads Yellowstuff anyone?

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 01-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #1
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

EBC brake pads Yellowstuff anyone?

EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads or perhaps the Greenstuff?

Are these any good for replacement?

Beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Or any recommendations for replacing the brake pads?
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I was going to comment on this yesterday. I'm not familiar with the ones that you have mentioned. I drive pretty mundane compared to some but have no problems with the NAPA Safety Stop Premium pads that are Ceramic enhanced, Semi-metallic and non asbestos. I've used others that have been equivalent to these in the past from different manufacturers.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Bob, I'm checking that out...
I guess not many here change their own pads
Unread 01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

EBC makes excellent brake products. Very reasonably priced as well.

If you go with the Greenstuff line stick with the 6000 or 7000 series brake pads vs the 2000 series. The 2000 series is just "ok". Pretty much OE equivelant. The 6000 series pads are very good and are an upgrade over the OE brakes but for longest life and least dust the 7000 is the ticket in the Greenstuff line.

If you go with the Yellowstuff brake pads they are much more of a heavy duty option and are good if you off road a lot, tow, or run big tires. They are not a low dust pad though as I recall. I think they have a couple different lines in Yellowstuff too.

They have other lines too( Red, Orange, Blue, etc... ). Not sure anything but Green and Yellow would be offered for the Patriot however?

For a Patriot I think the Green or Yellow lines are good choices assuming they are offered? If it is just a daily driver then the Greenstuff line. If you off road or tow with it regularly I would upgrade to the Yellowstuff line.

Hope it helps.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
FourPointZero
2013 MK Patriot 

You will not be disappointed. I have used the EBC, rotors and green stuff pads on all of my MK3 VWs. I was very happy with the performance.
FourPointZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

How long are brake pads lasting? I drive highway miles and have a manual transmission. I have 213k mi. on my Jeep Compass. I have replaced the brakes one time since I owned it. I just used factory pads and put new rotors onit. Actually priced some different brands the factory one were pretty reasonable priced.
Brakes last me a long time. It's mostly highway miles.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuemark8 View Post
How long are brake pads lasting? I drive highway miles and have a manual transmission. I have 213k mi. on my Jeep Compass. I have replaced the brakes one time since I owned it. I just used factory pads and put new rotors onit. Actually priced some different brands the factory one were pretty reasonable priced.
Brakes last me a long time. It's mostly highway miles.
I tried a set of Yellow stuff pads,at 1000 miles they had 2mm of pad lining left(started at 10mm new) and totally trashed a set of cyro frozen rotors.No offroading,no racing just normal street driving.

Worst $120 I ever spent on brakes.
Unread 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I tried a set of Yellow stuff pads,at 1000 miles they had 2mm of pad lining left(started at 10mm new) and totally trashed a set of cyro frozen rotors.No offroading,no racing just normal street driving.

Worst $120 I ever spent on brakes.
For them to wear that fast there HAD to be some kind of mechanical problem like stuck calipers OR there was a mfg'ing defect. Did you talk to EBC about it? Their brakes are some of the best out there and that kind of wear is not common even for the worst OEM pads ever made.

Something out of the norm took place for sure.
Active Drive I
Unread 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
For them to wear that fast there HAD to be some kind of mechanical problem like stuck calipers OR there was a mfg'ing defect. Did you talk to EBC about it? Their brakes are some of the best out there and that kind of wear is not common even for the worst OEM pads ever made.

Something out of the norm took place for sure.
Nope no stuck calipers,still using the same calipers to this day.Never bothered contacting EBC as I just switched to Black Magic brakes and never looked back as they are cheaper and have 10 times the braking then EBC's by far.
Unread 02-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Nope no stuck calipers,still using the same calipers to this day.Never bothered contacting EBC as I just switched to Black Magic brakes and never looked back as they are cheaper and have 10 times the braking then EBC's by far.
Well, obviously something was wrong with the pads themselves then. Had you contacted EBC I am sure they would have been replaced. Seems odd you wouldn't try and recoup that $120 or give the mfg a chance to make it right?

You can't really have a fair comparison of their braking ability vs other brands if they wore out by 1000 miles. Clearly something bad went on during mfg'ing and if they wore out that fast they wouldn't have any stopping power.

Not saying you are lieing nor am I being argumentative. Just pointing out you didn't really give them a fair shake. You clearly had a defective product but you didn't give the mfg a chance to make it right and now you are trying to sway people away from the brand. Any company can have a problem from time to time.
Active Drive I
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Well, obviously something was wrong with the pads themselves then. Had you contacted EBC I am sure they would have been replaced. Seems odd you wouldn't try and recoup that $120 or give the mfg a chance to make it right?

You can't really have a fair comparison of their braking ability vs other brands if they wore out by 1000 miles. Clearly something bad went on during mfg'ing and if they wore out that fast they wouldn't have any stopping power.

Not saying you are lieing nor am I being argumentative. Just pointing out you didn't really give them a fair shake. You clearly had a defective product but you didn't give the mfg a chance to make it right and now you are trying to sway people away from the brand. Any company can have a problem from time to time.
Why bother to have the same result and another $300 worth of rotors ruined.Plus no warranty eitherway you look at it since they pretty much state they will wear faster anyways.Proof of mileage is required also which means a shop must install them for the warranty to have paper proof.

Quote:
The EBC Brakes warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship only. Warranty is for replacement of similar product or refund of purchase value only excluding all labour and ancillary charges such as vehicle towing, fitting, inconvenience, purchasing of other manufacturers products and is good for a period of twelve months from date of purchase or 10,000 miles of highway use. Proof of mileage will be required. Warranty is invalid if product is used for taxi/hire car, racing, rally, drifting, trackday experience driving, or any other form of competition. There is absolutely no warranty on any EBC product for race use. Warranty does not cover brake noise or normal wear and tear. Some brake pad systems cause pads to wear faster than others. Drivers/users must assess the performance and durability of EBC Brakes products themselves if any EBC product is to be used in racing.
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

Oh **** I didn't check my mail till now... and I've them ordered and shipped
Now I gotta keep my fingers cross and hope they do have some stopping power.
I'll post my findings if I survive.
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #14
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
Oh **** I didn't check my mail till now... and I've them ordered and shipped
Now I gotta keep my fingers cross and hope they do have some stopping power.
I'll post my findings if I survive.
Don't sweat it you will be fine. Which ones did you actually get?
Active Drive I
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Beware
2007 MK Compass 

I've ordered the EBC Yellowstuff
DP41563R for Rear,
DP41614R for Front.

I'll try to post some pics when they arrive.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.