JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   EBC brake pads Yellowstuff anyone? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ebc-brake-pads-yellowstuff-anyone-1469154/)

Beware 01-25-2013 10:30 PM

EBC brake pads Yellowstuff anyone?

EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads or perhaps the Greenstuff?

Are these any good for replacement? :tea:

Beware 01-27-2013 10:53 AM

Or any recommendations for replacing the brake pads?:)

Gramps 01-28-2013 04:33 AM

I was going to comment on this yesterday. I'm not familiar with the ones that you have mentioned. I drive pretty mundane compared to some but have no problems with the NAPA Safety Stop Premium pads that are Ceramic enhanced, Semi-metallic and non asbestos. I've used others that have been equivalent to these in the past from different manufacturers.

Beware 01-28-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks Bob, I'm checking that out...
I guess not many here change their own pads ;)

NHPATRIOT 01-29-2013 04:08 PM

EBC makes excellent brake products. Very reasonably priced as well.

If you go with the Greenstuff line stick with the 6000 or 7000 series brake pads vs the 2000 series. The 2000 series is just "ok". Pretty much OE equivelant. The 6000 series pads are very good and are an upgrade over the OE brakes but for longest life and least dust the 7000 is the ticket in the Greenstuff line.

If you go with the Yellowstuff brake pads they are much more of a heavy duty option and are good if you off road a lot, tow, or run big tires. They are not a low dust pad though as I recall. I think they have a couple different lines in Yellowstuff too.

They have other lines too( Red, Orange, Blue, etc... ). Not sure anything but Green and Yellow would be offered for the Patriot however?

For a Patriot I think the Green or Yellow lines are good choices assuming they are offered? If it is just a daily driver then the Greenstuff line. If you off road or tow with it regularly I would upgrade to the Yellowstuff line.

Hope it helps. :tea:

FourPointZero 01-30-2013 04:28 AM

You will not be disappointed. I have used the EBC, rotors and green stuff pads on all of my MK3 VWs. I was very happy with the performance.

cuemark8 01-30-2013 07:42 AM

How long are brake pads lasting? I drive highway miles and have a manual transmission. I have 213k mi. on my Jeep Compass. I have replaced the brakes one time since I owned it. I just used factory pads and put new rotors onit. Actually priced some different brands the factory one were pretty reasonable priced.
Brakes last me a long time. It's mostly highway miles.

tjkj2002 01-31-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuemark8 (Post 14878204)
How long are brake pads lasting? I drive highway miles and have a manual transmission. I have 213k mi. on my Jeep Compass. I have replaced the brakes one time since I owned it. I just used factory pads and put new rotors onit. Actually priced some different brands the factory one were pretty reasonable priced.
Brakes last me a long time. It's mostly highway miles.

I tried a set of Yellow stuff pads,at 1000 miles they had 2mm of pad lining left(started at 10mm new) and totally trashed a set of cyro frozen rotors.No offroading,no racing just normal street driving.

Worst $120 I ever spent on brakes.

NHPATRIOT 01-31-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 14884398)
I tried a set of Yellow stuff pads,at 1000 miles they had 2mm of pad lining left(started at 10mm new) and totally trashed a set of cyro frozen rotors.No offroading,no racing just normal street driving.

Worst $120 I ever spent on brakes.

For them to wear that fast there HAD to be some kind of mechanical problem like stuck calipers OR there was a mfg'ing defect. Did you talk to EBC about it? Their brakes are some of the best out there and that kind of wear is not common even for the worst OEM pads ever made.

Something out of the norm took place for sure.

tjkj2002 01-31-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT (Post 14885327)
For them to wear that fast there HAD to be some kind of mechanical problem like stuck calipers OR there was a mfg'ing defect. Did you talk to EBC about it? Their brakes are some of the best out there and that kind of wear is not common even for the worst OEM pads ever made.

Something out of the norm took place for sure.

Nope no stuck calipers,still using the same calipers to this day.Never bothered contacting EBC as I just switched to Black Magic brakes and never looked back as they are cheaper and have 10 times the braking then EBC's by far.

NHPATRIOT 02-01-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 14885551)
Nope no stuck calipers,still using the same calipers to this day.Never bothered contacting EBC as I just switched to Black Magic brakes and never looked back as they are cheaper and have 10 times the braking then EBC's by far.

Well, obviously something was wrong with the pads themselves then. Had you contacted EBC I am sure they would have been replaced. Seems odd you wouldn't try and recoup that $120 or give the mfg a chance to make it right?

You can't really have a fair comparison of their braking ability vs other brands if they wore out by 1000 miles. Clearly something bad went on during mfg'ing and if they wore out that fast they wouldn't have any stopping power.

Not saying you are lieing nor am I being argumentative. Just pointing out you didn't really give them a fair shake. You clearly had a defective product but you didn't give the mfg a chance to make it right and now you are trying to sway people away from the brand. Any company can have a problem from time to time.

tjkj2002 02-05-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT (Post 14889160)
Well, obviously something was wrong with the pads themselves then. Had you contacted EBC I am sure they would have been replaced. Seems odd you wouldn't try and recoup that $120 or give the mfg a chance to make it right?

You can't really have a fair comparison of their braking ability vs other brands if they wore out by 1000 miles. Clearly something bad went on during mfg'ing and if they wore out that fast they wouldn't have any stopping power.

Not saying you are lieing nor am I being argumentative. Just pointing out you didn't really give them a fair shake. You clearly had a defective product but you didn't give the mfg a chance to make it right and now you are trying to sway people away from the brand. Any company can have a problem from time to time.

Why bother to have the same result and another $300 worth of rotors ruined.Plus no warranty eitherway you look at it since they pretty much state they will wear faster anyways.Proof of mileage is required also which means a shop must install them for the warranty to have paper proof.

Quote:

The EBC Brakes warranty covers defects in materials or workmanship only. Warranty is for replacement of similar product or refund of purchase value only excluding all labour and ancillary charges such as vehicle towing, fitting, inconvenience, purchasing of other manufacturers products and is good for a period of twelve months from date of purchase or 10,000 miles of highway use. Proof of mileage will be required. Warranty is invalid if product is used for taxi/hire car, racing, rally, drifting, trackday experience driving, or any other form of competition. There is absolutely no warranty on any EBC product for race use. Warranty does not cover brake noise or normal wear and tear. Some brake pad systems cause pads to wear faster than others. Drivers/users must assess the performance and durability of EBC Brakes products themselves if any EBC product is to be used in racing.

Beware 02-05-2013 10:39 AM

Oh **** I didn't check my mail till now... and I've them ordered and shipped :(
Now I gotta keep my fingers cross and hope they do have some stopping power.
I'll post my findings if I survive.

NHPATRIOT 02-05-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beware (Post 14911552)
Oh **** I didn't check my mail till now... and I've them ordered and shipped :(
Now I gotta keep my fingers cross and hope they do have some stopping power.
I'll post my findings if I survive.

Don't sweat it you will be fine. Which ones did you actually get?

Beware 02-05-2013 04:09 PM

I've ordered the EBC Yellowstuff
DP41563R for Rear,
DP41614R for Front.

I'll try to post some pics when they arrive.
:)

The time now is 06:21 PM.