Early Oil Change and Related Issues - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Early Oil Change and Related Issues

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #121
hinaber

Service Maintenance

I bought my Compass in Jan. '07, did the 1st oil change at 3000k - just hitting 6200k now. Is anyone doing the 6000k service maintenance? or is it just a waste of money? It seems like everyone is just doing the oil change. I need some advice.

hinaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #122
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinaber
I bought my Compass in Jan. '07, did the 1st oil change at 3000k - just hitting 6200k now. Is anyone doing the 6000k service maintenance? or is it just a waste of money? It seems like everyone is just doing the oil change. I need some advice.
After getting picked on by Ridin' Around , I'm seriously considering changing to Amsoil in the Spring, I like the way that they will cover the warranty and cover you if the dealer tries to refuse. I don't know if the other synthetic oil companies do that or not. I'm due to change my oil right now (24K) but the dealer is going to get to do it with the "meets requirements" stuff because I don't feel like laying out in the snow to do it myself. I still think that if your not going with some kind of synthetic, $25 is cheap insurance.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #123
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
After getting picked on by Ridin' Around , I'm seriously considering changing to Amsoil in the Spring, I like the way that they will cover the warranty and cover you if the dealer tries to refuse. I don't know if the other synthetic oil companies do that or not. I'm due to change my oil right now (24K) but the dealer is going to get to do it with the "meets requirements" stuff because I don't feel like laying out in the snow to do it myself. I still think that if your not going with some kind of synthetic, $25 is cheap insurance.
Gramps, really glad to hear that "sleepin' on it" did you some good! I really didn't hurt you too bad, did I? Keep me in mind come springtime! Anyone with Amsoil questions please ask them. There are alot of untruths and misconceptions floating around. I like to give facts and let you decide for yourself. No pushy sales tactics or pressure,- just facts. Ask Gramps he'll let you know if I give straight answers or the Bull-oni!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM   #124
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Around
Gramps, really glad to hear that "sleepin' on it" did you some good! I really didn't hurt you too bad, did I? Keep me in mind come springtime! Anyone with Amsoil questions please ask them. There are alot of untruths and misconceptions floating around. I like to give facts and let you decide for yourself. No pushy sales tactics or pressure,- just facts. Ask Gramps he'll let you know if I give straight answers or the Bull-oni!
Gabe, it has to do with the honest information that you've provided. It's good info and I'm an information whore!

What it boiled down to was this:

An API (American Petroleum Institute) license indicates that a specific motor oil formulation has passed the minimum performance standards as defined by a series of laboratory bench, physical, chemical and engine tests. The API committee is comprised of representatives from automobile, oil and additive companies.

In other words, Big Oil and Friends are telling you that API approved oil is recommended because they are the ones making the money by you using it. Since API approved oil is petroleum based it introduces those nasty HYDROCARBONS into you lubricating system that CAUSES the acids, sludge, and other impurities that HAS to be changed more frequently than with FULL SYNTHETIC oils, even partial synthetics contain some hydrocarbons but/because they are API approved.

Amsoil has their own warranty policy and backs it up. Fewer oil changes = less labor, less pollution, less dependence on foreign oil and is cheaper in the long run. I will be contacting you when it gets warmer I'll be shooting for a once a year, warm weather oil change for all of the family stuff.

Unread 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #125
snikr

Gramps I use Amsoil in my motorcycle and it works GREAT! With all that heat that can build up inside the fairing of my FJR it's cheap insurance.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #126
Gav'spurplez

i have 3 filters avail for a 2.4 L compass / patriot.

they are mopar filters...... i thought they were great, but i bought 4 filters for my g/f's jeep but i guess you could say she's no longer the g/f

so, i have no use for them,

check out my thread

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527458
1999 Wrangler Sport - SOLD
2009 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X
Gav'spurplez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #127
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

bump to the top, It's springtime Gramps!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #128
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Yup, still have your emails. Tax refund coming soon.

Unread 04-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #129
davep
2007 MK Compass 

Oil Change Frequency

I must say, I'm enticed by Amsoil's idea of only changing my oil once a year (I put less than 15K on my car per year). But I'm very nervous about the impact of my lifetime bumper-to-bumper/drivetrain... which was the main reason for buying my Compass. The fine print on amsoil's website was very vague on the specifics of OEM warranty claims; and it sounded like a giant hassle if it turns into a finger pointing situation. I wonder if there is some way for the dealer to inspect at the 3K intervals and sign off that it doesn't need an oil/filter change. Amsoil doesn't look like they have an EAO filter for the Compass; so either way it looks like I'll be stuck with a 3K filter change.

Last edited by davep; 04-02-2008 at 01:43 PM..
davep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #130
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Early Oil Change and Related Issues

In the "old days" we use to change the oil on any new vehicle between 500 and 1000 miles, in case of metal filings and other coming off of a new engine. My neighbor is a young mechanic and when I told him that, he had never heard of that. For you experienced mechanics, do you still recommend the "new engine" oil change (obviuosly, it cannot hurt). I am at 1,000 miles as we speak.

About three years ago, consumer report analyzed oil from vehicle under variuos driving conditions and determine that most drivers should be changing oil every 7,500 miles (in other words, the oil pulled out of cars after 7500 miles had essentially the same properties as new oil)..exception...gravel road. If you drive on dirt roads, changes every 3-5 thousand miles was beneficial. City vs Higway made little difference...
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM   #131
snood
2007 MK Compass 

I would say there is no needs since engines are now prebroken in from the factory.
Unread 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #132
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

In the "old days" most new cars were delivered from the factory with non-detergent oil that needed to be change asap after 500 miles. That's been quite a while back but the practice carried on with no benefit.

Save your money, save your time and save the planet buy not changing your oil until you need too.

Also, the 5W20 oil that the factory uses is partially synthetic, as is (I believe) all 5W20 oil is.

Unread 05-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #133
Elihawk
2008 MK Compass 

Do you guys think fully synthetic is better, or blends? Again, the same neighbor tells me that he thinks blends are the best (and cheaper than fully synthetic)
Elihawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #134
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The reasons to change your oil:
Contaminants (acid, sludge, other impurities) caused by none other than (primarily) hydrocarbons. Where do those come from? Primarily Dino oil. The less Dino oil, the better. I'm switching this summer to full synthetic. Also fewer oil changes, less cost over the long run, less pollution from used oil and more time to have fun.

Unread 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #135
UTAH

As a general rule and under normal conditions, I don't think a full-synthetic oil is necessary - but I do think there are positive attributes.

I use only Mobil 1 in all my vehicles. The reason is I have several vehicles and only put about 3,000 miles per year on any of 'em. As a result, I change the oil once a year and need an oil that's stable for that long. And, I do think synthetics improve MPG as well as cold start-up friction reduction.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.