Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Early Oil Change and Related Issues

14K views 159 replies 42 participants last post by  Zappy 
#1 ·
Oil Filters, Oil Changes, Blended oil

I bought a black jeep compass limited a couple of months ago and she now needs an oil change. Does anyone know what size oil filter to get? Walmart wasn't any help, the dealership was closed when I drove by, and I can't find any info on the internet. Any help is much appreciated...

I have the CVT with autostick... love that autostick :thumbsup:

#77 ·
the only DC dealer on the island is closing, so no oil changes or warrenty work for me right now. from them atleast

#81 ·
Gramps said:
That's pretty sad. If you can't find any just give me a weeks notice and I'll get some for you.
sweet. next one will be in april. i will let u know when it gets closer. btw, who ever said this world has no nice people left was wrong. :2thumbsup:

#84 · (Edited)
madrabbitt said:
That's more like it! "Grumpy" was already taken by Bill Jenkins (Chevy Drag racer) so I had to do something. :laugh:

#86 ·
#87 ·
TimeTraveler said:
25 years, and 260K miles on Mobil 1 with BMW 320I. I'm convinced, but the guy with the GMC, or Chevy truck who changed is oil every 3000 miles, and got over a Million Miles with regular oil, that convinced me too. So not sure what is better, just keep changing that oil.

GEO

PS: I plan to use Mobil 1 in the Caliber.
Heck the old 528 we owned had 280K on it with Castrol 10/40, thats a result of a quality vehicle not oil.

#89 ·
What schedule are you using? I use the 6k one, never ran any of that in mine yet (only changed the oil once though!) I used Mobil 1 5W-20 Synthetic (Group IV Synthetic) and an AC Delco filter (couldn't find a Mopar one that fit.)

#92 ·
I think next time I'll try to find the official Mopar one, haven't gotten to 12k yet on mine.

#95 ·
The NAPA filters are available now, 7073, same as WIX 57073. I had the local store get one for me from the warehouse, next day service. Chrysler still uses the recommended oil change s as stated in the maintenance schedules, regardless of what oil you are using.

#96 ·
Oil change.....................

So my g/f has the 2.4L Patriot sport and I'm planning on an oil change. how many quarts does the engine take "WITH" changing the filter ???

i asked her to check her manual, but i'm not too sure she'll look in the right place. I want to buy the oil and filter ahead of time.

thanks

#98 ·
An interesting thread. I never knew an oil change could be so complicated. I have used the 5000 mile oil change interval on all of my vehicles regardless of brand and engine for the past 45 years. I have never had an engine problem with any of them including those that ended up with over a 100K miles on them when I traded them off. I have always used a good quality oil and oil filter in all my vehicles and I guess that really works.

#99 ·
replying to a post found on page 3-5 :confused:

i change my oil every 3K miles or 3 months, even when my camaro sits over winter. it gets started and possibly driven here and there. so even with a mobil 1 oil change, if it is 3 months later and it has 200 miles on it,
it is getting changed :thumbsup:

changing the oil in my g/f's patriot tonight,
her filter is like a mini wrangler filter :cheers2:

#100 ·
that manufacturer installed filter was a MF'er :nono:

but the 1st oil change went well. 5w-20 mobil 1 and a mopar filter.

manual states 4.5 qts with a filter change,
but this thread states 5 :confused:

not to mention is seemed like only 3-4 came out. no leaks, weird ??

#101 ·
I haven't changed my own oil yet. My first oil change was in Albuquerque and when asked they said that it took a full 5 qts.

Gav'spurplez said:
not to mention is seemed like only 3-4 came out. no leaks, weird ??
That is strange. Did you check to see if was low before the drain? I only added the oil cooler recently and it could add a cup or too also. It may be best to add 4.5 qts and check it before adding the rest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.