Early Oil Change and Related Issues - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Early Oil Change and Related Issues

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-17-2007, 06:17 AM   #31
BuzzDog

As for the cost of oil changes, I'd recommend reading your "Jeep Welcome Kit" - mailed to you directly from DCX - VERY carefully. This is mailed out a month or so after your purchase, and includes a catalog of Jeep-branded merchandise such as shirts and ballcaps.

Got mine in the mail yesterday and almost pitched it, until I realized that the welcome letter included a coupon for a FREE oil and filter change.

BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #32
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
As for the cost of oil changes, I'd recommend reading your "Jeep Welcome Kit" - mailed to you directly from DCX - VERY carefully. This is mailed out a month or so after your purchase, and includes a catalog of Jeep-branded merchandise such as shirts and ballcaps.

Got mine in the mail yesterday and almost pitched it, until I realized that the welcome letter included a coupon for a FREE oil and filter change.

Thanks for the heads-up on that one BuzzDog, I received that welcome kit but I don't remember a coupon.... I better check that again!
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #33
phil8400

Wow, I'm glad this was posted. I am due for an oil change, and I doubt my dealership would know to use 5w-20. ...How would they know anyway?
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #34
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
Wow, I'm glad this was posted. I am due for an oil change, and I doubt my dealership would know to use 5w-20. ...How would they know anyway?
Outside of it being in the Owners Manual I'm sure that the Dealers get tech info on this stuff. Mine was the first oil change that they did on a Compass in Albuquerque and they knew. They were Jeep and Chrysler only, not Dodge. The dealer that I go to now is Jeep, Chrysler and Dodge and it's the same as the Caliber that been out almost a year now.

The little local place that I mentioned earlier, my wife goes to. The last time she was in there they put in 5W20 in her '96 GC and we had to go back and they changed it to 10W40 because of low oil pressure. Their comment was that they do all of the newer stuff with 5W20 because all of the newer cars take it. We had to remind them that hers is 10 years old.

I do need to check out that mailing from DC on the freebie, good thing I never throw anything out. Thanks for the heads up

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:20 PM   #35
stevej1j8

This is a comment about the Air Filtration System. According to my Owner's Manual, the Air Filtration System comes with the Security Group Option and is not tied to A/C System. That sounds a bit strange to me, so I'll talk to the dealer on my first oil change.

The one thing I did note was that when the Climate controls are set to Mix or Defrost, the A/C compressor is running in order to dry the air and defog the windshields. In effect, the A/C may be running even if you haven't hit the A/C button.
stevej1j8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #36
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej1j8
This is a comment about the Air Filtration System. According to my Owner's Manual, the Air Filtration System comes with the Security Group Option and is not tied to A/C System. That sounds a bit strange to me, so I'll talk to the dealer on my first oil change.

The one thing I did note was that when the Climate controls are set to Mix or Defrost, the A/C compressor is running in order to dry the air and defog the windshields. In effect, the A/C may be running even if you haven't hit the A/C button.

Fascinating! The air filtration tied to the Security Group would put it being like the Caliber. Makes sense from that stand point.

The info about the Climate Control settings using the A/C is good to know, I didn't realize that. I've certainly been running the defrost so maybe I will need to change it. Sure hope that the Service Manual gets here soon so that I can figure out where it is!!

THANKS MUCH for the info!!

Unread 01-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #37
decimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej1j8
That has been the norm for many years. I'd be surprised to hear of a vehicle without that feature.
decimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #38
mashnost

$60!!!! Wow, that is a rediculous amount for an oil change. We just got our frist oil change last month at the dealer and it was only $26...i would have gone and got it for free at the original dealership but it's 45 miles away...you should really check with the service manager or better yet, call over the phone and ask how much an oil change for a compass would cost...ask for their name and that way you walk in with facts.
mashnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #39
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decimon
That has been the norm for many years. I'd be surprised to hear of a vehicle without that feature.
Thanks. My last new car with A/C was in '74. Guess I need to get up to speed.

Unread 01-17-2007, 04:58 PM   #40
phil8400

I haven't notice my AC light come on when set to defrost. I'll check tomorrow. I know my 2004 Tiburon did it.
Unread 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #41
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

We've started stocking 5W-20 in bulk now, and carry 10W-30 in bottles. Just about everything takes 5W-20 now. The new world engines as they are called all take 5W-20 due to the variable valve timing and that there is a filter in the block that screens the oil down to 3 microns before it goes to the cylinder head. So regular oil changes are crucial to the engines' survival. That screen is not serviceable without removing the head. $60 is insane, for pete's sake Ford and Honda have been using 5-20 longer than DCX has.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:01 PM   #42
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncrone
We've started stocking 5W-20 in bulk now, and carry 10W-30 in bottles. Just about everything takes 5W-20 now. The new world engines as they are called all take 5W-20 due to the variable valve timing and that there is a filter in the block that screens the oil down to 3 microns before it goes to the cylinder head. So regular oil changes are crucial to the engines' survival. That screen is not serviceable without removing the head. $60 is insane, for pete's sake Ford and Honda have been using 5-20 longer than DCX has.
Thank you for your input, I felt that $60 was nuts but when they started talking about the screen in the engine I became unsure. Realizing that technology has changed since my previous (1991) truck was made, I didn't want to damage anything being "cheap".

I think I'll either use a more reasonable dealer or just pick up some OEM filters and some quality oil. Do you have any thoughts on Mobil1 or a similar synthetic for the compass engine. I would assume that it would be acceptable.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:03 PM   #43
BuzzDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
I haven't notice my AC light come on when set to defrost.
The light won't come on, but the compressor WILL run while in defrost mode.

The reason mentioned earlier - to dry the cabin air - is one reason, but it's also my understanding that this is done so that manufacturers have some assurance that the compressor will be run at some point during the winter.

Years ago, many compressors failed when owners turned on the a/c for the first time in the spring, since the compressor would sit for the entire cold weather season without having refrigerant run through it - and more importantly, the lubricating oil contained within the refrigerant. So the decision was made to have systems engage the compressor in defrost mode.

May just be an old mechanics tale, but it sure seems to make sense...
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #44
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
Thank you for your input, I felt that $60 was nuts but when they started talking about the screen in the engine I became unsure. Realizing that technology has changed since my previous (1991) truck was made, I didn't want to damage anything being "cheap".

I think I'll either use a more reasonable dealer or just pick up some OEM filters and some quality oil. Do you have any thoughts on Mobil1 or a similar synthetic for the compass engine. I would assume that it would be acceptable.
unibus,

There was a previous discussion on oils. Check here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=340838

And BuzzDog

I remember that from my auto parts days. We'd really get the A/C parts hitting heavy after winter because nobody circulated the oil in the compressor all winter long.

Unread 01-18-2007, 08:29 AM   #45
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
The light won't come on, but the compressor WILL run while in defrost mode.

The reason mentioned earlier - to dry the cabin air - is one reason, but it's also my understanding that this is done so that manufacturers have some assurance that the compressor will be run at some point during the winter.

Years ago, many compressors failed when owners turned on the a/c for the first time in the spring, since the compressor would sit for the entire cold weather season without having refrigerant run through it - and more importantly, the lubricating oil contained within the refrigerant. So the decision was made to have systems engage the compressor in defrost mode.

May just be an old mechanics tale, but it sure seems to make sense...
So the light doesn't come on for anyone else either? I checked this morning and mine definately does not.

My Tiburon light came on though. I think my girlfriend's Mazda3 does too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.