Early Oil Change and Related Issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Early Oil Change and Related Issues

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
D_Dude2000
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I don't want to start a debate either, but i wouldn't recommend using the synithic blend. yes it is cheaper, but you don't gain much, compaired to getting the fully synthetic. just my two cents.

D_Dude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
snikr

Funny....I used the "blend" in my old Liberty and still use it in my Dakota and have had good luck with it. Maybe not as good as the full synthetic but much better than "regular" oil. IMHO YMMV

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:40 PM   #18
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

To all of you who use synthetic: exactly WHAT did you gain? Time between oil changes, better mileage, better compression, what??? I've never compared the differences side by side. Honestly, inquiring minds want to know and I want to know YOUR opinions! It's not all propaganda? If we believed everything we read, we'd all be driving shivies or toys!

Gramps
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #19
TimeTraveler
2014 JK Wrangler 

25 years, and 260K miles on Mobil 1 with BMW 320I. I'm convinced, but the guy with the GMC, or Chevy truck who changed is oil every 3000 miles, and got over a Million Miles with regular oil, that convinced me too. So not sure what is better, just keep changing that oil.

GEO

PS: I plan to use Mobil 1 in the Caliber.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
mdsaif

if the pice difference is not that much...then i guess i will keep it synethtic...
mdsaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #21
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
To all of you who use synthetic: exactly WHAT did you gain? Time between oil changes, better mileage, better compression, what??? I've never compared the differences side by side. Honestly, inquiring minds want to know and I want to know YOUR opinions! It's not all propaganda? If we believed everything we read, we'd all be driving shivies or toys!

Gramps
You mean other than a race-ready M3 motor that wasn't cooked by loosing the oil pan?

I have also gone to extended mileage intervals.

I change oil at:

5k or annually (whichever comes first) in the bikes (hey they are air cooled and live a harder life)
10k (or annually) in the Jeep and now I will in the Subaru
15-18k in the Mini Cooper (which works out to more often than annually) - interval varies with use and the oil life percentage monitor (a logarythmic function performed by the computer that uses temperatures and operating cycles and rpms as inputs to help determine oil life).

But I've seen oil analysis from domestic V6 motors that ran M1 for more than 17k miles and test results showed it was still good. So I'm probably STILL being ultra conservative.

I can't say about mileage because I change over to Snyths too early to be certain the increases have been from oil and not just plain old break in.

So what do I get from Synth.

1. CHEAP insurance.

2. FEWER oil changes

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:52 AM   #22
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Thanks Kev!

That's what I was looking for . Anybody want to add to that?

Gramps
Unread 12-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #23
compassjeep

check this out

the same filter is used on a 2006 corvette according to the k&n website also many other gm cars & jeeps!!
http://www.knfilters.com/search/appl...x?Prod=HP-1017

the dealer has been hounding me with letters and phone calls to service my compass, called to find out when i could bring it in, 5 day waiting list plus a appointment needed! well my wife brings it in on the appointment date, 2 hours later i call her where are you? the dealer does not have a oil filter in stock! waiting to get from another local dealer! another hour later finally done, nice thing was the dealer did not charge us,
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 08:26 AM   #24
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassjeep
the same filter is used on a 2006 corvette according to the k&n website also many other gm cars & jeeps!!
http://www.knfilters.com/search/appl...x?Prod=HP-1017

the dealer has been hounding me with letters and phone calls to service my compass, called to find out when i could bring it in, 5 day waiting list plus a appointment needed! well my wife brings it in on the appointment date, 2 hours later i call her where are you? the dealer does not have a oil filter in stock! waiting to get from another local dealer! another hour later finally done, nice thing was the dealer did not charge us,
I was concerned about availability on my trip, bought a spare before I left and it's still in the boot.

I've set up 2 of my oil changes in the Jeep.com website and once just took it in bright and early on a Saturday morning and I've been able to get right through except for the window fix.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Unread 12-27-2006, 12:39 PM   #25
snikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M
DON'T USE FRAM.

They will NEVER regain my trust.

Actually, I just use OE, safest bet.

K
From what I've seen lately on the Net Fram is not a good filter to use on anything. I wonder why. I though they used to be one of the better filters to use. I'll have to remember when the time comes, I'll make SURE my dealer has oil filters in stock for the Compass (I have two free changes due me).

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Oil Filters, Dealers and Oil Changes

I took my Compass in for a 30 day "checkup" at my dealer this past weekend. When I was checking out with the service department they wanted to let me know that when I bring my compass in for it's 3000 mile oil change what it woudl cost. I was quite surprised when they told me that an oil change would be $60 due to the "extra special 5w20 oil that the engine uses". I just went along with it and picked up my car, but for the life of me I can't see why an oil change would be that much.
I have seen that there is a fellow who frequents this forum who is a DC technician. I hope he can shed some light on this, is there a real reason or am I just getting a snow job.
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #27
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

WOW! Almost everything is going 5W20 on later cars, it's nothing special! My first oil change was in Albuquerque with 5W20 for $30 and the two other times since I've been home same price. They gotta be feedin' you a line! I'd either talk to the Service Manager or find a different dealer.

Unread 01-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #28
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Thanks for the input Gramps.... That's pretty much what I figured. I'm planning to give the service manager a call this week to hear his explanation for the high price tag.

It must be some pretty special oil!
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #29
James04TJ

Chances are that the dealer does not stock 5w-20 in their bulk tank since the majority of vehicles they service require 10W-30. They pass the added cost for the non-bluk purchace on to you. Any API SM 5W-20 will do you fine. Why not spend $20.00 or less and do it youself?
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 04:30 AM   #30
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Not sure how big your Dealer is but even the little oil change place (not part of a National chain) in my little town of about 5000 has the 5W20 in bulk.

If you do decide to DIY I'd stick with the factory filter. See this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326109

I just checked and the WIX/NAPA are still not available.

Also, I was skimming threw the owners manual again and see that all of the Compass' with A/C have the air filtration system (optional on Caliber) and that filter is supposed to be changed at the 12K oil change. That one is coming up on mine in about a month and I don't feel that I've run the A/C enough to change it yet. It goes through the A/C only and not the heater. Any opinions on that?

Last edited by Gramps; 01-17-2007 at 04:41 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.