Early Oil Change and Related Issues - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Early Oil Change and Related Issues

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #151
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnite10 View Post
i took the test at the mobil1 site and they recommended
10-30W..
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...leChooser.aspx

has anyone heard what harm may will result to oil seal s when used over a long period of time?
If someone has lead you to believe that seal damage may come from synthetics, that is not the case. All synthetics that I know of are using an additive package that actually helps seals stay "soft" or plyable, helping them seal better. The oil seal leak thing is a old wives tail, decades ago the early attempts at Synthetics did have some issues but they have long since been resolved. I know this to be a fact with Amsoil's products.

Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #152
acadian
2008 MK Patriot 

I have always changed the oil in my vehicles. 5-6 quarts of oil, a filter, socket wrench and a beer... always thought that was a nice combination on a Sunday afternoon. But I actually have this plan with my Jeep dealer that says if I let them do all my oil changes and tune-ups, they will buy me a brand new set of tires after 30k miles. I did the math and figured that the money I'd be spending on changing the oil myself (minus the beer), spark plugs, etc... I'm basically getting a free set of tires when I need them.
acadian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 08:58 AM   #153
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Just last night I switched my wife's Hyundai over to the full synthetic Amsoil with the recommended AEO filter after running the engine flush through it for 20 minutes as instructed. I noticed immediately after the change that the car idled much smoother and quieter then it was. I was using Valvoline MaxLife and it was just changed last month, the car is a 99 with just a hair under 140K miles and the engine hasnt sounded this smooth in a while and it seemed to have more pep or perhaps I should say not as sluggish and the only thing that was changed is the oil.

I'm planning on switching my Compass over before the heat of the summer, but as someone previously mentioned, I dont see an AEO filter for the Compass in the online product application guide, just a WIX filter listed. If the pure synthetic is used but no AEO filter, would you just change out the WIX filter every 3000 miles and then the full oil at 25000 (or most likely 24000 to make it easy) make the difference? If amsoil doesnt have the breakdown problems of the other oils usually used, how often should a normal filter need to be replaced? Every 3000? 5K or even 7K?

Just curious as I see this as being the only issue currently with switching the Compass over.
Zappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #154
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Ditto, I've got the same question. I was going to use the NAPA Gold (same as WIX) until they start making the AEO, but how often should it be changed?

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #155
deepnite10

thank s Ridin..the dealer said the same thing yesterday..

as i said i would..i did talk to the service manager out here..they do use and recommend
the 5-20W..addtionally if you use ur Patriot s on off road condition s you should
change the oil every 3k..otherwise change the oil every 6k..

at one point they recommended changing oil every 3k or 3mos. whatever come s first..
now it s 6k/6mos..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2008, 08:46 AM   #156
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I found this on the Amsoil site about WIX Filters.

The highlight of this in what we've been talking about on non- EA filters is WIX filters are supplemental to AMSOIL Ea filters, but now AMSOIL will offer WIX filtration products that cross to an Ea filter. With the exception of WIX lube filters, all WIX filters should be changed in accordance with original equipment manufacturer’s (OEM) recommendations. WIX lube filter change intervals are extended OEM recommendations to match the drain intervals of AMSOIL XL Motor oil. To find the correct filter for your application, consult the Online Product Application Guide.

Ridin' Around's site with links to AMSOIL Online Store and some good reading material.

Unread 05-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #157
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

So the WIX filters would be used at a 7500 mile drainage interval as if being used with the XL oil. So if the full sythentic was being used with the 1 yr /25K mile drainage interval, the filter should be changed roughly every 7.5K miles during the year and retop off the oil then from what is lost from the filter change?
Unread 05-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #158
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

7000 views on this thread, Awesome. Thanks for your support Patriot and Compass owners! Gramps Kudos!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:43 AM   #159
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
So the WIX filters would be used at a 7500 mile drainage interval as if being used with the XL oil. So if the full sythentic was being used with the 1 yr /25K mile drainage interval, the filter should be changed roughly every 7.5K miles during the year and retop off the oil then from what is lost from the filter change?
That's what I'm planing on doing until the EA filter is available. The tiny filter that we have can't hold anymore than 1/2 a qt at the most.

I'll be getting the ASL 5W30 to cover the 3 rigs that I'll be doing. All of my oil changes will be a once a year thing (not in the Winter) at (about) $50 a shot. Less $$ and less labor. Sounds good to me.

Unread 05-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #160
Zappy
2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
That's what I'm planing on doing until the EA filter is available. The tiny filter that we have can't hold anymore than 1/2 a qt at the most.

I'll be getting the ASL 5W30 to cover the 3 rigs that I'll be doing. All of my oil changes will be a once a year thing (not in the Winter) at (about) $50 a shot. Less $$ and less labor. Sounds good to me.
I asked the dealer that I got the oil for the the Hyundai through and he basically confirmed what you say Gramps.

Quote:
"Hi Joe, thank you for the detailed update. Your business is much appreciated and that is great you noticed a difference with the 10W-30. Since we do not have an EAO filter for your Jeep, what I recommend is to run the ATM and change the Wix filter at Wix recommendations, generally 6 months/7500 miles. The filter is easy to change and then you just do a top off of the oil. I am sure that there will be an EAO at some point."
So at least we'll all be on the same page as far as filter change/maintenance schedules going at 6 months/7500 miles with the WIX filters. I see another order going in on payday this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.