Early Oil Change and Related Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Early Oil Change and Related Issues

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 10-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
90XJ02TJ

Oil Filters, Oil Changes, Blended oil

I bought a black jeep compass limited a couple of months ago and she now needs an oil change. Does anyone know what size oil filter to get? Walmart wasn't any help, the dealership was closed when I drove by, and I can't find any info on the internet. Any help is much appreciated...

I have the CVT with autostick... love that autostick

90XJ02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Congrats on your purchace!

DC part number: 4884900AB

WIX part number 57073 (Wix makes everything). NAPA filters are Wix but the online interchange is wrong. Maybe the in store catalog is more up to date.

AutoZone shows a Fram PH10125 but the Fram site shows Not Available.

Here's the specs. It does take a full 5 qts of 5W20. Easy to get at, front center of engine.
filter-part-number.jpg  
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Kev M
2012 WK 

DON'T USE FRAM.

They will NEVER regain my trust.

Actually, I just use OE, safest bet.

K
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

What Kev You don't like to watch the o'ring blow out at 80 psi Add some excitement to your life!
The number was just for reference, I won't use them either but Wix and NAPA gold are great in my book. I sold them for many years.

Just got these numbers off of the Caliber forum:
STP S10060 (made by Fram)
Purolator L12222

Just spoke with my NAPA store and they called WIX: not available until the end of January in either WIX or Napa. NAPA #7073.

I would definitely go with the dealer for now. Most are open Saturday AM.

Last edited by Gramps; 10-11-2006 at 11:23 AM..
Unread 10-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
90XJ02TJ

Thanks for all the valuable feedback...

Keep on Jeepin'...
90XJ02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's one more link and I'll let it go at that. This is one persons evaluation of the Ford oil filters (same as earlier Mopar 340/440 stuff). I can't imagine any different techniques between applications but that's just my opinion . I don't recommend the low end Wix or the NAPA Silver (same filter). I'll also be posting this over at the Caliber forum.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/D.../oilfilst.html

And here's a link to the Caliber forum on the same subject.

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2459

Last edited by Gramps; 10-16-2006 at 04:40 AM..
Unread 10-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #7
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

If you look at the OEM filter its a Hyundai filter, and should still have their part number on it. I would stick with the OEM filter, you know that it is right and has the best filtering.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #8
snikr

Oil Filters, Oil Changes, Blended oil

The wife and I just got a Compass 4 X 4 and after the two free oil changes I want to use a synthetic blend oil in it (a 5W-20 oil). I've heard you should wait a few miles before you switch. What mileage is it good to do this? I know this may have been covered before here but the search feature is down so I figured I'd ask anyway. TIA

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #9
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

You don't need to wait. Its not like it was in the 'good ol days'. Engines are so machined so precise that they are as broken in as they are going to get shortly after they are first run. You could run full synthetic in it as soon as you brought it home from the dealer. 5W-20 is almost synthetic anyways.
Unread 11-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #10
snikr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncrone
You don't need to wait. Its not like it was in the 'good ol days'. Engines are so machined so precise that they are as broken in as they are going to get shortly after they are first run. You could run full synthetic in it as soon as you brought it home from the dealer. 5W-20 is almost synthetic anyways.
Brandon,

You the man! As soon as I get my two FREE oil changes done I'm going to switch. I've had good luck with synthetic blend on the old Liberty and my Dodge Dakota 4.7.

Tom

So many roads.......So little vacation time
snikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
mdsaif

Hey,....what is the difference between the synthetic oil and the "normal" or non synethtic oil?....am getting my compass soon and i want to knoe how to treat it well..
mdsaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #12
KCoastie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if this is accurate or not, but a buddy of mine swore by Mobil 1 and said that synthetic oil's molecules are all the same size or close to the same size, while conventional oil's molecules vary greatly in size. I guess having smaller, similarly sized molecules makes synthetic oil protect better than conventional oil.
KCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The advantages of Synthetic oil from Wikipedia:

The benefits for synthetic motor oils include:

Better low temperature viscosity performance.
Better high temperature viscosity performance.
Decreased evaporative loss
Reduced friction
Reduced engine wear
Improved fuel efficiency
Chemical stability
Resistance to oil sludge problems
Some synthetic motor oil producers offer extended drain intervals
Unread 11-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #14
Kev M
2012 WK 

You can read about oils and debates regarding them all day long.

One pretty good website is

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I've used pretty much nothing buy synthetics (there are some exceptions, like on 23 y/o BMW motorcycles that tend not to be to oil tight) for the past decade or two.

Largely my decision to mostly use M1 was because of an experience I had with it while crewing for an SCCA pro-rallye team who tore the oil pan off their BMW M3 and ran it still bumping off the rev-limiter for another mile or two to get off the stage road, and seeing there was NO CRANKSHAFT or PISTON damage what-so-ever. Could that have happened with another oil, probably, but who cares, that was proof enough for me.

When it comes to Synths there is a LOT of misinformation out there.

And there is still some controversy whether you can change to it too soon or not.

As a matter of fact, I recently saw a letter from Subaru NA advising against changing to synth before AT LEAST the 1k mile break-in period. So I'm going to make the change on my new Baja at the 3k break-in oil change.

In the past on my Jeeps I made the switch at the first oil change as well, though YEARS ago I do recall waiting 10k miles on another vehicle.

It is true that many manufacturers even ship their vehicles with synth already in the crankcase, but since we don't know for sure what measures they take at the factory to prepare the motor for break-in (what type of machining methods are used, is it test/dyno run and how much etc) there is no way for us to make a blanket statement like:

Quote:
You don't need to wait. Its not like it was in the 'good ol days'. Engines are so machined so precise that they are as broken in as they are going to get shortly after they are first run. You could run full synthetic in it as soon as you brought it home from the dealer.
That said, if Brandon has some specific info on the engine plant in question that may be true.

I'd also look at what Jeep says for the Compass maintenance schedule. If there is no first short term oil change, then perhaps he is absolutely correct and you can switch immediately.

Me, I guess I'm a little bit old school enough to wait for the first oil change.

Then again, it's PROBABLY much ado about nothing.

Kev

Last edited by Kev M; 11-24-2006 at 07:05 AM..
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Not to start an oil debate, oil is still oil. Mobil one is a highly refined dyno oil mixed with a synthetic additive package. All synthetics are like that, they are called synthetic because of the additives. Im just mentioning it so everyone knows, not because I don't like it, its the only thing that I use.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.