early compass/patriot help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > early compass/patriot help?

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 04-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #1
Jebby
2002 WJ 

early compass/patriot help?

Hey all. I am a Jeep guy. Loved my TJ still love my WJ. Never really been into the smaller not so off road focused Jeeps (I absolutely hate that the Wranglers are the only Jeep left with a solid front axle) Time to upgrade my wife's Buick Century and I would love to welcome another Jeep to the family (even thought its not going to be the Jeep I know and love). Her requirements are 4 doors, 4x4 (or at least AWD) automatic (BOOOO) and shorter than my WJ (182" in length). We would prefer something not bad on gas since My WJ gets about 10MPG lmao. Ideally we would be getting a wrangler unlimited or at least a liberty but they are expensive and people think they are made of gold around here. There are a few good deals on an early model compass or patriot. (07,08,09) around. Most have around 150000km (94000 mi) Whats everyone's thoughts on these. How reliable are they. Are they even a little bit offroad worthy. How do they do in the snow? How much life is left in the little 4banger at 100000mi. Any info or things to look out for. Educate me!

Jebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

We have an '08 Compass 4x4 w/2.4L and CVT auto. Bought it new in late '07. It's wife's DD, and has only about 30k miles. It's been great, with only front lower control arm replacement at about 20k, which was common for this model. Fantastic in the snow without even putting it in 4x4. Would buy again, can't even get the wife to look at a new car. As to higher mileage reliability, someone with more miles will probably chime in. I would, however, avoid the '07, as anecdotal evidence has them more problem prone.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
Jebby
2002 WJ 

thanks for the heads up. just bugs in the 07 or was there a design change? the one im looking at is an 07 so any ideas what kind of things?
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well, 07 was the first year they were made, and you never buy a car the first year they were made!

the big thing is the ball joints, which is a typical chrysler issue. and maintenance. you said automatic, so the cvt in the patriot/compass is very reliable, but it does have to be maintained. (fluid changes)

I always recommend getting any vehicle checked out by an independent shop before purchase, as you can buy two of the exact same cars of the exact same year but owned by two different people, and have two completely different levels of reliability. in this case I would think about going to a shop that looks at nissans that use the exact same cvt so they know what they are looking at.

Edit: as far as off road capability, check out my youtube channel, link in sig
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
Jebby
2002 WJ 

great post. that helps a lot. going to look at about 7 million this weekend. hopefully I can find a good one on a lot that will take my buick as a trade.
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
cuemark8
2007 MK Compass 

Ball joints, tie-rod ends, and lower control arms were all common problems on the early yrs. of the Compass.
Expect mid 20's for fuel mileage at best for the 4x4 CVT.
Chrysler seemed to have fixed the ball joint issues with the Compass.
I had too replace both ball joints a lower control arms twice but I put more miles on it than anyone I know of.
Mine was not and I will not buy a 4x4 so I can't comment on true offroad worthiness. Mine went good and took me anywhere in the FWD version in the snow.
As for the four-banger any engine will pretty much last forever if oil is changed often.
I traded mine about 3 months ago 258, 000mi.
cuemark8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

good luck. I suggest trying to sell the buick privately? I wanted to trade in my olds alero, trade offered me $150, sold it privately for $3500...
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Jebby
2002 WJ 

its for sale privet but its a flooded market. there are several similar for sale around here. the dealers around here are usually pretty willing to work a trade to move a car on lot. if I don't trade it in I wont buy from a dealer. if I manage to sell privet I will buy privet too
Unread 04-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
TeHpWNaG3
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
How reliable are they. Are they even a little bit offroad worthy. How do they do in the snow? How much life is left in the little 4banger at 100000mi. Any info or things to look out for. Educate me!
Mine has over 76k on it, mostly city driving. Besides doing the front ball joints, f/r brakes, and routine maintenance, it has been a good runner. The rear wheel bearing(s) show signs of needing replacement. That will be my next project. So, out of my sample of one, reliability is pretty good. Stay on top of the gear lube for the CVT and rear diff.

The Patriot 4x4 is okay for light off-road use. My friend had an old CJ that could take a beating that would otherwise destroy the MK, in my opinion.

I've pulled 1,500lbs on 6-hour drives several times, no problem. I haven't noticed any power decrease thus far at 76k.

I can't speak for others, but I've had nothing but joy in the Wisconsin/Minnesota snow. Good tires made for those conditions make it even better.
TeHpWNaG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
steel5blue
2007 MK Compass 

My 2007 factory-ordered 5spd Compass has had no control arms etc. issues (or any others) despite moderate off road use. I'm only at 80000 miles, however.

Rav-who? CR-what? Arizona-where?
2007 Compass Sport Steel-5speed-Blue 4X4
steel5blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
somers
2010 MK Patriot 

2010 jeep patriot

I may be out of order here in the wrong department please guide me thank you.

Please can any one tell me whu my vehicle is blowing abs and traction sensors ?
Are the sensors faulty from inception ?

How b does an owner abuse sensors ? not likely !
somers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Personally, I would avoid the 5-speed 4x4 Compass from 07-08. My 07 factory ordered Compass suffered greatly (as I did) in its first 20,000mi due to the faulty hydraulic actuators that plagued stick MKs in the beginning. A number of issues both related and otherwise kept mine on the dealer's rack for FIVE WEEKS in 2008-09. The actuators failed while on a mechanic test drive for another issue. They took out both the clutch and transmission! Between late 2008 and mid-2011, I've replaced the clutch, transaxle, starter, both rear wheel speed sensors, and one rear axle and hub. The other needs replacing soon. Surprisingly, I never had the one greatest factory defect of the early MKs; faulty tie rods and ball joints. The last few years of the Compass and Patriot are the best quality wise. I would recommend either 2009 or 10. Still, I've managed to run my 4x4 in Florida swamp water and mud and south Texas desert and rack up 95,000 miles.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.