DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
impulseballer

DIY Short Ram Intake for under $40

well i posted this over at the other compass forums so I decided to share and bring it here too.

Ok first off I want to say in no way do I dislike the compass for being a ride you can customize etc. One thing I do think rediculous is the fact that people are paying over $200 etc. for a simple short ram intake. These cars are not high horsepower cars nor are they tuners like the CRT4 etc. With that said. I believe you guys should put your money elsewhere like tints etc. The only thing restrictive at all in the compass intake system is the airbox itself. The stock intake piping to the airbox is almost 2.5" which is plenty and the bends are done the correct way so no restriction is caused. If you follow my how to, you will be able to install a short ram intake that will perform exactly the same as the K&N or secret weapon intakes. I love to help people out and save people money so I hope you enjoy. Oh also it didn't throw any CEL's and I haven't checked fuel economy yet but I'm sure it's going to increase. With that being said here we go:

Tools Needed

1/4" & 5/16" sockets
scissors
cuttoff wheel or dremel
die grinder with sanding pad (optional)

Other items needed

3" Intake Filter (ebay is the absolute cheapest. got mine for $13 shipped)
Universal Air Breather (ebay again..paid $10 shipped.)

2.5" OD to 3" OD pipe (mineke made it for me got it for $10-should be aobut 5-6" long )

1/2" barb -1/2"barb coupler

extra pipe clamp(homedepot)
5 minute epoxy (homedepot)

impulseballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
impulseballer

Instructions

First off you want to remove that air scoop thing near the hood latch. Just twist those two tabs and then pull the unit out.

Next you want to pull off the engine cover. It just yanks right off. It's attached nicely with little ball and socket like pieces.

Next you want to pull off the black hose that goes from the valve cover to the stock airbox. Disconnect it at the airbox only for now.

Now use that 5/16" socket to loose the clamp from the intake pipe to the airbox. The detach the pipe.

Pull up on the airbox and take it out. Same type of connectors as the engine cover are used for the air box.

First we'll deal with the breather filter. First thing I would put the 1/2" barb into the breather filter but don't tighten the clamp. Take the engine cover and just place it on top of the connectors but don't snap it down. Hold the breather fiter etc. over the tube and make a mental line where you want to cut the tube to insert the other part of the barb. I wanted the breather to stock out a certain distance as it compliments the large intake filter colors (both silver).

Next cut the tubing where you made that mental line and insert the barb into the hose and clamp.

Done with that part of the install.
Unread 06-27-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
impulseballer

Ok now the more involve part. Attach the 2.5" to 3" pipe to the intake filter (obviously the 3" part is what the filter is clamped to).
Put this aside. Now take your filter out of the airbox. Take a cutoff wheel etc. and cut off the piece that the stock intake pipe was connected to originally.

Next, take the pipe with the air filter on it and put it on top of the hole that is cutout. Take a sharpie and trace around the 2.5" part to make a circle to cut or sand out. I used my dremel with the rotary sander on it.

Now draw a line around the half of the intake box that doesn't have the hole near the bottom but still keeping the bottom portion of the airbox. THis is because we want to utilize the stock mounting parts etc.

Now seperate the airbox and cut along that line with the cuttoff wheel.

Next cut out a section on the side with the hole like I did.

After I did the above i put the sections back together where they interlocked on the bottom and used the 5 minute epoxy to permanently attach the two pieces at the joint. It should look like a 90 degree angle. We are doing all this not only for making mounting eaasy but it acts just like the K&N heat shield from the heat coming off the exhaust header.
Unread 06-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
impulseballer

For added support I added a few screws at the end of the joints. Just to make sure it will hold up through everything.

Now you're almost done!!!! Just put back the modified "heat shield" aka hacked up airbox into the mounting connectors. Now slide the air intake filter with pipe assembly through the hole that you made and into the stock airpipe. Tighten the clamp, reinstall the engine cover and take a step back and admire the awesomeness of the install you just did yourseld!!! And you saved a **** load of cash. Woohoo!!! If you've found this how to helpful as I'm sure you have, feel free to send a donation to my paypal. flyfrey2004@yahoo.com ENJOY

Check out how tiny the K&N intake filter is compared to the one i put in.

Unread 06-27-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
impulseballer

Unread 06-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Welcome to the group! I hope that people don't think that just because something isn't expensive that it won't work. Don't forget that one of our old tricks was to put dry ice in the air cleaner to run a richer mixture at the drags.

I've seen your posts in the other forum and in the spirit of the old fashioned hot rodder that I am, it looks like a good inexpensive mod that can be done by those who want to take a more frugal approach to increasing performance. Thanks for posting.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

thats a great idea. reminds me of some of the HM CAI on DT.
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

This is an excellent write up - nice and detailed. I will be doing this....definitely!

BTW, you have nice thumbs
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #9
impulseballer

haha thanks for the compliments guys. yeah i figured i love helping people out. i just couldn't get the pics to show up for the life of me lol. so much easier in the other forums im belong too lol. install is easy and will save you alot of money. works great and sounds even better. have fun!!!
Unread 07-31-2008, 11:36 PM   #10
impulseballer

this should definitely be stickied!!!!!
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:21 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I hesitate to do too many stickies, they often get ignored especially when when the whole first page is nothing but stickies. I have added this to the MK's Off-Road, Parts Books and quick links sticky. I hope that'll do for now.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
impulseballer

sounds good to me
Unread 08-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #13
roland365
2008 MK Patriot 

any noticeable differences in performance, mpg?
roland365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #14
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

just did this today...cost me roughly $65 cuz I bought a bit more expensive filter....played around a little, not too much...i'll have to get to the track to see if its changed performance...and how much...(to be more positive rather than saying it feels like this...and could just be in the head)....but thanks for the tips/info! great way to save money...very easy, and doesn't take much time at all!
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.