Differences between Caliber AWD unit and Patriot/Compass 5 spd Freedom Drive 1? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Differences between Caliber AWD unit and Patriot/Compass 5 spd Freedom Drive 1?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Differences between Caliber AWD unit and Patriot/Compass 5 spd Freedom Drive 1?

Okay guys, I'm wanting to change my Caliber FWD out to AWD whenever my warranty expires. However, I am not wanting the caliber's CVT AWD unit, I am wanting the Jeep 5 speed AWD/4x4 unit. Does anybody know the differences between the Jeep 5 speed AWD unit and Caliber AWD unit? Any help will be much appreciated. I am cross posting this with a Caliber site to hopefully get some info on this matter.

Unread 07-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
belezeeubub
2007 MK Patriot 

I did a 2wd to 4wd conversion on a dodge truck I don't want to rain on your bbq but I would suggest AGAINST IT, it would be IMHO far cheaper to eat the loss on your car and trade it in on a AWD unit then to even try that conversion.
belezeeubub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

ha, thanks, I need the rain. Anyway, my main problem is, I like the Caliber styling the best of the bunch, but the Caliber AWD units are CVT and I would prefer a stickshift unit which only the Jeep versions get.
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'll resurrect this so we don't hijack Jeff's Patriot Off road thread.

The only feasible way that I can see doing this is wait until someone totals a 5 speed MK. I cringe at the thought, hope that it won't be one of our group, but it's going to happen. The Compass Body Repair Manual (CD) tells you EVERYTHING about splicing one back together. So the totalled job + your Cali could be possible. About like dropping a Model A down on '34 rails and putting in a 392 Hemi with a Ford top shifter. Piece of cake!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

I was joking and not meaning to hijack his thread. Honestly!!! There's plenty of MKs running around here, (more of them than calibers from what I see) so I figure it wont take too much, 'specially the way some of the people drive 'em!
Unread 08-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I know you weren't hijacking. You had some nice comments back there. I just wanted to get back to your Cali for my own selfish reasons and I can have a tendency to stray off topic just like anybody else. I would love to see a one off, unique, Cali 4X4, 5 speed, turbo running around. Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.