Difference between 2.0 & 2.4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Difference between 2.0 & 2.4

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
SCouch
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Difference between 2.0 & 2.4

Any opinions on the difference in power between the 2.0 & 2.4. I've only driven the 2.0, it was a little sluggish but was ok. I've read that the 2.4 gets a mile or two less mpg, but I'm also interested in the difference in power. I have a 10' utility trailer that I'll be pulling a 4-wheeler on, just wondering if the 2.0 can handle that without straining.

Any noticeable difference in take off power?

SCouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Towing with the 2.0 is 1000 lbs max, the 2.4 can be up to 2000 if you get a package with oil cooler. Its a big bump in power, with very little hit to cost of purchase and fuel economy. I would not buy the 2.0 at all.
aroundincircles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
Towing with the 2.0 is 1000 lbs max, the 2.4 can be up to 2000 if you get a package with oil cooler. Its a big bump in power, with very little hit to cost of purchase and fuel economy. I would not buy the 2.0 at all.
Agree 100% ^^^^

As said by aroundincircles, max towing for the 2.0L is 1000lbs period. Nothing you can do to increase it. For the 2.4L you need the oil cooler to achieve max towing. If you get one with it as part of a package, or add it after, max towing is increased to 2000lbs. Otherwise it is 1000lbs like the 2.0L.

FYI - 2000lbs is a legit max capacity for these vehicles. Don't try to tow more. Some will talk of the max capacity outside the USA that is like 3000 or 3500lbs but they fail to mention that is with the 2.0L diesel. I have towed up to the max capacity a couple times and it is as much as you want to be hauling with one of these 2.4L vehicles.

IMO it is a no brainer when deciding between a 2.0L and 2.4L = get the 2.4L. More useful, MPG is not much lower and you can even beat guys with 2.0L's if you take it easy, and resale down the road will be much higher with the bigger engine.

Also, I have the 2.4L and even have 4WD(FDI )and I can break 30 MPG highway with it despite only being rated to 26 MPG. Best MPG to date was 35.8 MPG all highway.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

^^
That makes me cry a little.... Best MPG's I've gotten with my FDII is 25, but I average a solid 20.5... Being lifted and my heavy tires don't help one bit either.

Good thing its not my DD, and gets driven 2-3 times a week...
Unread 10-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundincircles View Post
^^
That makes me cry a little.... Best MPG's I've gotten with my FDII is 25, but I average a solid 20.5... Being lifted and my heavy tires don't help one bit either.

Good thing its not my DD, and gets driven 2-3 times a week...
FDII really hurts people's MPG. It is why I tell people not to get it unless you really need it and will use it. I see a lot of people who get it for the macho factor. Look at me "I have a trailrated Jeep even though I will never go off road and use it"... "I am a real tough guy"( note this is NOT directed at you aroundincircles!! ).

If the owner won't go off road FDII just isn't needed. Now, if they don't care about the MPG hit then it isn't a big deal and they certainly should get it if they want. If someone is concerned about MPG like me however then it definitely needs to be factored in. FDII just made no sense for me even though I needed 4WD. FDI does everything I need and my MPG does not suffer. Win win.

I actually get upset when I see 27-28 MPG highway because "usually" I am 30+. 25 MPG highway from an FDII, especially lifted with oversized aggressive meats, is actually not bad for an FDII.
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I am actually thinking of downsizing my treads when the time comes... We're doing a lot less highway driving and a lot more city driving, so my tires are just killing my mpg... Bigger tires on the highway = fewer rpms per mph. but on the city streets with a lot more stop and go... you feel the difference.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
FDII really hurts people's MPG. It is why I tell people not to get it unless you really need it and will use it. I see a lot of people who get it for the macho factor. Look at me "I have a trailrated Jeep even though I will never go off road and use it"... "I am a real tough guy"( note this is NOT directed at you aroundincircles!! ).

If the owner won't go off road FDII just isn't needed. Now, if they don't care about the MPG hit then it isn't a big deal and they certainly should get it if they want. If someone is concerned about MPG like me however then it definitely needs to be factored in. FDII just made no sense for me even though I needed 4WD. FDI does everything I need and my MPG does not suffer. Win win.

I actually get upset when I see 27-28 MPG highway because "usually" I am 30+. 25 MPG highway from an FDII, especially lifted with oversized aggressive meats, is actually not bad for an FDII.
What exactly IS the difference between the FDI and FDII? Apparently more than just skid plates?

OP get the 2.4!
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
What exactly IS the difference between the FDI and FDII? Apparently more than just skid plates?

OP get the 2.4!
Mechanically? there is only one difference. A lower final drive, which gears down the CVT. so the typical cvt is equivalent to say... a 6 speed auto as far as the top and bottom gear ratios (with an infinite # of ratios inbetween) on the FDII those ratios are geared down with the lower final drive, so instead of having a first through 6th, its more like 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4th gears. That's why you take such a huge hit on MPG on the FDII, you effectively get rid of your OD gears. My other car has a 4 speed auto, and it runs at very similar RPM's at similar speeds. A few less, but close.

Electronically there are some big differences. You get the Hill decent control, you get the brake lock differentials, which is part of traction control, but not the same thing. you also give up the stick shifting for just a L "off road" mode. This keeps the CVT in the lower range of its gearing, even when the Engine climbs in RPMs to give you more torque. its a lot like putting a normal 4x4 in 4L.

so if you plan on doing what I do with my patriot(check out my links in my sig), the FDII is the way to go, but if you just need something to get you through adverse conditions, and maybe a dirt road or two, FDI is perfect, and you don't take the penalties.
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the explanation! I certainly enjoy taking my WJ off road but still 99% of my driving is pavement. I've never even been in 4 lo, never needed it. I might actually be better off with FD1 then.

I like to come here from time to time as a Patriot or Compass will likely be my next Jeep so I appreciate the help.
Unread 10-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Hey aroundincircles I just watched your video on the FDII excellent explanation you couldn't have done it any better!

I will probably have to go back to my original FDII plan as I like be able to go just about anywhere I want to even though I don't do it all that often I like the capability.
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
carlsonr

nice explanation but totally wrong and you have no clue what your trying to describe mechanically. apparently you haven't seen the insides of a Jatco CVT trans. there is no gear ratio's,
carlsonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonr View Post
nice explanation but totally wrong and you have no clue what your trying to describe mechanically. apparently you haven't seen the insides of a Jatco CVT trans. there is no gear ratio's,
There is still a final drive gear, if you re read my post, that is the only difference between the FDI and FDII transmission. Everything else was to help somebody else who's never had a cvt understand better what I was trying to describe. and yes there are gear ratios, but there are no gears in cvt. Please re-read my post, and you will see that your comment is asinine.

"Mechanically? there is only one difference. A lower final drive, which gears down the CVT. so the typical cvt is equivalent to say... a 6 speed auto as far as the top and bottom gear ratios (with an infinite # of ratios inbetween) on the FDII those ratios are geared down with the lower final drive, so instead of having a first through 6th, its more like 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4th gears. That's why you take such a huge hit on MPG on the FDII, you effectively get rid of your OD gears. My other car has a 4 speed auto, and it runs at very similar RPM's at similar speeds. A few less, but close."
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
HRC
2014 MK Patriot 

I bought a 2014 Patriot with the 2.0 / 6 speed last month and have no complaints with power. I took the first road trip in it over the weekend and got 31 MPG driving 65-70 MPH. The Jeep only had 600 miles on it when I left so I assume the gas mileage will get a little better when I get some more miles on it. This is the first vehicle I ever bought that gets better gas mileage than the sticker said.
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #14
carlsonr

hope your not getting that figure from your instrument cluster, that's an optimistic marketing gimic. use pen an paper over a couple thousand miles of driving mileage and gas purchases to get an accurate mpg figure.
carlsonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
HRC
2014 MK Patriot 

No I don't have that on my Patriot. I figured it out by doing the math. I've since taken another 200 mile trip all hiway and got 31 MPG again.
HRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.