Dent Fixed But Will I Get Rust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Dent Fixed But Will I Get Rust?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
ARONO 129

Dent Fixed But Will I Get Rust?

I found a small circular dent in the pillar that the rear passanger window slides up into.

The dealership has been great. They offered to fix it for free since our Jeep is new. I said it's too high up for a vehicle door to have hit and must have come that way.

The dealership said they will send someone that they use to try to fix the dent. If he couldn't then the dealership would do bodyshop work.

The guy that fixed the dent is mobile. He says a lot of dealerships use him. He partially took off the rubber seal from the door frame, drilled a small hole in the pillar and fixed the dent by (I think) hammering it out. You can not tell there was ever a dent there. It looks perfect.

He said he applied rustproofing to the hole he drilled, plugged it with a rubber plug, put more rustproofing on and then placed the rubber seal back on the door frame.

He said it won't rust due to all the steps he took and if it ever does to contact him. Nobody will ever know that there is a small sealed hole in the frame but me and my wife.

The guy said that he doesn't want to knock bodyshops but this was a better option than repainting which he says over time can look slightly different.

I parked far away iin a shopping mall one day and some idiot parked right beside me in a truck. I think the guy may have hit my car on purpose. I mean the whole area of the lot where I parked was empty but we all know how mean people can be when you have a new car.

I'm a worrywart. Does anyone here that has expertise with rust think that area will eventually rust?

ARONO 129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I think that you'll be safe from rust. All of the new stuff (since '88 or so) has to be zinc coated on body parts to prevent rust. With what sounds like a tiny hole and then sealer applied you should be fine. I know what you mean about parking lots and jealous idiots too, so does my daughter. All I can say to that is WHY????

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
ARONO 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I think that you'll be safe from rust. All of the new stuff (since '88 or so) has to be zinc coated on body parts to prevent rust. With what sounds like a tiny hole and then sealer applied you should be fine. I know what you mean about parking lots and jealous idiots too, so does my daughter. All I can say to that is WHY????
Thanks for the reply. You always reply right away with knowlegable replies. I wonder if that will void my rust warranty? Well at least it's fixed. Probably won't rust there.

I just remember thinking and saying to my wife "Why did that guy park so close to us when we are so far away?" There was just me and him in that section. I guess working in a jail for the last 17 years, I know that people can be very mean. Far worse things can happen in life than a dent. I know two people that bought new vehicles and within one month they were "keyed".
ARONO 129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

haven't you watched those commercials...its just how people are...when I had my old car and a fresh paint job..I took up 2 parking spots in the back of a lot PURPOSELY cuz I knew people would try and park beside me...I don't get why people have to do it...
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.