Deer Hit at 100 kmph...ouch over $6000.00 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Deer Hit at 100 kmph...ouch over $6000.00

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
LOWRD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Deer Hit at 100 kmph...ouch over $6000.00

Well I must say that this little Baby Jeep of mine the Compass sure stood up to that deer that tried to cross the highway...LOL. Just over $6300.00 CDN dollars damage to the passenger side starting at the front bumper, fender, complete passenger door, door skin of back passenger door but luckly NO blowout on the front tire and NO airbag deployment!

Scared the bejesus out of my wife though...I saw it at the last second and gripped the wheel with both hands. That's the first animal I ever hit on the road before in 30 years of driving!

Will see if I can put some pics up or at least a link to some.

S

LOWRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow i would **** my pants if that happend to me! im glad everybody is allright, as well as most of your jeep!

Last edited by Virmagicus; 07-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Let the censor do it's job.
RockMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like its time to build that MK....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
bs1946
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I used to live outside Pittsburgh, PA and the place was loaded with very very big deer. I had one land on the front of the Subaru I was driving while I was stopped at an intersection. He demolished the entire front of the car. That was over 20 years ago and I still freak out every time I see one even near the road. From the pics, I think you were dammed lucky. If you hit that deer square on at 100 mph, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
bs1946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I'm glad that you and the wife came out OK!!!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
PecosRiver
2013 JK Wrangler 

Glad you came out ok. Hit a deer myself at around 80 m.p.h. with my Ford. Because I had a heavy duty bumper and a grill guard, the damage was just under $2000. Need to beef up the front end of my Jeep now.

What does 100 kph mean in American?
PecosRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

62 mph

Here's a handy site Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
LOWRD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey thanks everyone...she's going into the body shop tomorrow morning and they'll have it for 11 days!! Yes I was asking my buddy California if there is a bag system they might have for this Compass, he's checking and will come up with something...his Toyota Tundra is 14" higher than stock!!! Can't wait to do some "Uplifting" to the Baby
Will put some more pics up when she's out from her repairs...
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Hitting deers suck. I clipped one once within city limits about 12 years ago. It buckled my hood and completely demolished my headlight. Meanwhile, the deer just ran off. This was at the speed of 50-60kms/hr (not MPH).

You actually got off lucky if that was while you were going 100kms/hr. Glad no one was hurt. (Aside from the stupid deer.)
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
LOWRD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well the Deer sure was DEAD...broke it's neck and both the back legs...I have been very close before when I had my 2 door Honda Civic too...I'm not sure but maybe I have to switch up the colours on my vehicles, white seems to be attracting them LOL.

Well the Compass is in the body shop now for the next 11 business days and I'm driving on of the new Liberty's that are the scaled down Commanders...I'm liking it just might trade in the Compass lol ya right the wife would have the jewels after just owning this one for a couple of months now
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If I hit a deer, I would have this for dinner.
Cuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
LOWRD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes we did think of doing that just throwing it up on the racks and hauling it away...hey I hit why not, don't want to leave it for the coyotes!! But dam it around here they call it Poaching around these parts...go figure it's a $6000 Deer and nothing enjoyed from the experience
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
miketmx
2008 MK Patriot 

I have the deer whistles on both the Patriot and the Cherokee. I'm absolutely convinced that whistles work to alert the deer but they are not 100% effective.
miketmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
bs1946
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My ex father-in-law used to buy the things from AAA for every car he had. However, AAA stopped selling them after testing revealed that they didn't work.
bs1946 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
LOWRD
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes I explained it to my wife I was just going to put them on to keep her peace of mind...my thoughts on those are if the animal is spooked you just don't know what they are going to do at that moment...they are untamed animals...

Tags
accident , collision damage , compass , damage , deer , patriot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.