JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Compass & Patriot Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/)
-   -   Dealership not honoring lifetime powertrain warranty? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/dealership-not-honoring-lifetime-powertrain-warranty-1301925/)

Cheesyii 12-15-2011 04:47 PM

Dealership not honoring lifetime powertrain warranty?

Hi everyone, new member here. My 2008 jeep patriot has the limited lifetime powertrain warranty. It developed a check engine light. I ran the code and it was for the "Intake manifold runner stuck open". I took it to a local dealership and they said the problem was with the intake manifold runner actuator (part number 488454ad) and that this part would not be covered under the powertrain warranty.

Does this seem correct? They want to charge me $350 to replace it. Isn't the intake manifold runner actuator a supporting part of the intake manifold? According to the warranty verbage, it should be covered right?

I looked at the warranty information and this is what it says:

B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

E. Parts Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by Chrysler Motors LLC:
Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

tjkj2002 12-15-2011 09:36 PM

Not covered as that acuator is not part of the intake manifold itself but controls parts inside.No coverage on actuators/sensors.

FujativeOCR 12-15-2011 10:19 PM

At least the turbo is covered.

IRSmart 12-16-2011 09:07 AM

"Powertrain" is defined as any part that directly results in propulsion of the vehicle. that part does not, it is not considered powertrain. they are correct that it is not covered, sorry.

Cheesyii 12-16-2011 10:56 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being taken by the dealership. Thanks!

philthy66 04-11-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRSmart (Post 12688616)
"Powertrain" is defined as any part that directly results in propulsion of the vehicle. that part does not, it is not considered powertrain. they are correct that it is not covered, sorry.

The first time we took our Patriot in for the 5 year powertrain inspection they would not pass it because the catalytic converter was out. When we took it to another dealer (closer to my work) a few weeks later to have the cc replaced I mentioned that we needed to have the inspection performed again. I was told that the cc being out had no effect on passing/failing the inspection because it was not part of the powertrain. So it seems that the definition of what is/isn't part of the powertrain is not very well defined... at least at the dealer level

JGCGEORGE 05-18-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philthy66 (Post 15280055)
The first time we took our Patriot in for the 5 year powertrain inspection they would not pass it because the catalytic converter was out. When we took it to another dealer (closer to my work) a few weeks later to have the cc replaced I mentioned that we needed to have the inspection performed again. I was told that the cc being out had no effect on passing/failing the inspection because it was not part of the powertrain. So it seems that the definition of what is/isn't part of the powertrain is not very well defined... at least at the dealer level

If your inspection is like ours in PA then if you are missing or have a problem with an emissions component they won't do the inspection until it is repaired.

MrB 06-14-2013 01:42 PM

I don't know how a Catilitic converter could be out and not showing a check engine light. Sounds to me like some dealer B.S.

AJeepZJ 06-16-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 15561567)
I don't know how a Catilitic converter could be out and not showing a check engine light. Sounds to me like some dealer B.S.

Lol, that is a good point now that I think on it.

Chriztofor 06-21-2013 12:48 PM

Just as a fyi, I had my PTU seal and engine pan seal fixed under the lifetime warranty.

vinniej 06-28-2013 12:17 AM

Dealers do a lot of interpreting. You can got to 5 different dealers and get 5 different answers. They need to work on uniformity when it comes to that kind of thing.

carlsonr 10-13-2013 10:21 AM

the actuator was 95 dollars at moparpartsonline.com and took me less than 45min to replace. I wouldn't let the dealr get away with charging you 350 bucks.

IRSmart 10-16-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlsonr (Post 16798137)
the actuator was 95 dollars at moparpartsonline.com and took me less than 45min to replace. I wouldn't let the dealr get away with charging you 350 bucks.

45 minutes sounds like two book hours. at $95 for the part, with shop materials, $350 sounds about right.

tedbou13 11-05-2014 06:12 PM

I was in the dealership three months before my five year anniversary. The heater core was bad and of course even with 40000 miles on my 2009 they would not repair it I had to eat 750.00??? Thats a discrace!! Then the tranny imploded a month after my five years...THEY REFUSED TO PAY FOR THE TRANNY EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LIFETIME DRIVETRAIN WARRANTY!!!!! I DID NOT ASK SPECiFICALLY FOR THE WARRANTY INSPECTION!!! This warranty is a complete scam the very reason that tipped the scales for me choosing this car....I remember the little warraty advertisment on the desk...and they did not deliver on their promise.... This is my third jeep I have purchased from this dealer...and I was just going to get my son a wrangler to take to college....I have since done some research and the dealer (sevice dept) here on Long Island has a horrible reputation...from service reps taking bribes to make things happen in your favor regarding warranty to outright flagrant lies about fake needed repairs and their cost....you know my wife pays Mercedes in advance for routine maitenance because she knows they always have her back they remind her of all required maitenance to keep the warranty intact. They, like many other auto brands are true professionals. I nor any of my family members will ever buy another Chrysler/Jeep product and will untill my dying day voice my utter contempt for this company...Id rather ride a bicycle.....PS the corporate Jeep person I spoke to was more rude and nasty than the dealership!!!
Ted B. Huntington NY

The time now is 02:10 PM.