Dealer Reflashed our PCM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Dealer Reflashed our PCM

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-24-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
hvac5777
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dealer Reflashed our PCM

Hi there, I am new here so I am not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I did look around and didn't see it. On 02/07/07 our check engine light came on and there was a lot of what I describe as valve noise coming from the top end. We took it the dealer immediately and the next day they called and said the PCM needed to be flashed. They did the work and I asked for a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin. Here it is...

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-020-06 REV. A
GROUP: VEHICLE PERFORMANCE
DATE: SEPTEMBER 16, 2006

SUBJECT:
FLASH: Warm Weather Spark Knock and/or DTC P2173 **and/or P0452**

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) ** and if necessary, the Transmission Control Module (TCM)** with new software and performing a memory reset to clear the adaptive memory of the PCM.

MODELS:
2007 (PM) Caliber
**2007 (MK49) Compass**

Note: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 2.0l or 2.4l gasoline engine and CVT transmission (sales code ECN or ED3 with DAV) built on or after May 11, 2006 (MDH 0511XX) through and including August 16, 2006 (MDH 0816XX)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some cutomers may experience Spark Knock in warm ambient conditions (16 C (60 F) or higher).

The technician may find one or more of the following DTC's

P2173 - High Airflow/Vacuum Leak Detected (Slow Accumualtion) may be found in the PCM. This DTC may occur when a vehicle is driven from a higher altitude to a lower altitude (1372 meter (4500 foot) change).

**P0452 - Evap Pressure Switch Stuck Closed**

It goes on to describe the repair procedure.

Anyway, they flashed the PCM and told me that essentially the engines timing was off. This may be why experienced only 18 - 20 MPG. However, that may be due to my extremely heavy right foot.

Hope this helps someone.

hvac5777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Interesting! I'm watching for a recurrence of the engine light coming on with mine. Certainly NOT a warm temperature issue though. They have gotten the parts in at the dealership to replace the intake manifold, actuator and wiring harness but I am avoiding the "major surgery" because the problem appears to have gone away and I have yet to get a confirmation that this was definitely the issue or just suspected to be the issue.

Thanks for the post!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
hvac5777
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, ours didn't seem to be a warm weather issue either.... I don't know. My wife just came home and said come drive the car it's making a noise. I drove it, I think its the brakes, severe shuddering and a grinding noise. I am going to re- read the brake recall post and go to the dealer monday morning.
Unread 02-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Before the Compass was released, there were many Calibers with PCM problems and they had to replaced them not just flash them. It appeared that was all over and done with by the time the Compass came out. Good luck!!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
hvac5777
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm thanks for the info, I just checked the Jeep recall site and I too found none waiting to be done. I forgot to mention I am waiting on a rear brake kit to come in. It has been on back order for months now. At first they whined in reverse on cold days. Now they are grinding and shuddering through the whole vehicle. I will post as soon as I learn something new.
Unread 02-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
hvac5777
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Upon further inspection I noticed that there was some sheet metal hanging down from the undercarriage. This turned out to be some sort of heat shield/ noise dampener that is located directly over the rear u joint. I think a couple of weeks ago when we went off roading, we may have caught an edge of this shield and tweaked it slightly. Then a couple of days ago we hit a large pool of water, which we always like to do when it rains and it bent it further. It was actually making contact with the u joint and drive shaft. I bent back for now and I plan to remove it all together in the near future. We are still waiting for our rear brake kit from the dealer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.