Dashlights and tail lights wont come on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Dashlights and tail lights wont come on

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
redoglady

Dashlights and tail lights wont come on

Had a problem with my interior dash lights flickering when I would turn on the headlight switch. The other day they flickered and turned off completely along with my running taillights. Tried checking all the fuses - they look good, then changed any burnt light bulbs and changed the headlight switch. Still no good - any suggestions?

redoglady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since you checked the fuses, try the connections on the Totally Integrated Power Module.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
redoglady

Yup, tried that too. hmmm. Thanks though
Unread 01-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
If has pick up a short as in a bulb blown it will shut off the power to it and flag a fault code until fault is cleared. Have you tried a battery rest (disconnect leave for 5 minutes and reconnect)
Unread 01-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
redoglady

Tried that too.....finally had to give up and take to Jeep dealership. Gonna cost 1100 to fix a blown module. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Unread 01-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

........$1100?!
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoglady View Post
Tried that too.....finally had to give up and take to Jeep dealership. Gonna cost 1100 to fix a blown module. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Ouch! Did they say which module?

That reminds me of my big screen TV. 14 months old and the "Digital Main Board" goes out @$515.

Unread 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
fortuneer

2007 MK Compass 

Huh???

Your Jeep can't be more than two years old. Why wasn't this covered in your bumper to bumper warranty??? Mine was for my 07 Compass. The dealer replaced my power module for nothing.

Black '07 Compass Sport 5-speed 4X4 ("Fortuneer"), K&N filter, cat-back exhaust; RR lift, sunroof, trailer tow group, Boston Acoustic audio, sport bars, rear taillight guards, more to come... Finally got it back from the wife so I can let my Neon R/T rest for a rebuild.
fortuneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #9
MsIrisMG

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoglady View Post
I have to say, this does not engender confidence in the brand...
MsIrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The MK's have really had very few issues. Even the beloved Toyota's have had recalls. I'm waiting to hear about the warranty coverage on this. If it was because of improperly installed trailer wiring then we have cautioned on that issue. The electrical systems are rather picky as to what you can and can't do.

Unread 01-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
MsIrisMG

Mine never did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
The MK's have really had very few issues. Even the beloved Toyota's have had recalls. I'm waiting to hear about the warranty coverage on this. If it was because of improperly installed trailer wiring then we have cautioned on that issue. The electrical systems are rather picky as to what you can and can't do.
Well, this is true, some of the newer Corollas that have been built in the United States the last few years are turning in some disappointing recall stats. Though they're still very reliable, it makes me dubious, even though that's all I've driven since 1988. And I must say my 11-year-old Corolla, the one I will soon trade, has never had a recall. So, you see I'm kind of spoiled.

But that's a little OT, besides I've always admired the Chrysler products from a distance. In fact, I LOVE the Pacifica but am quite sure that one would eat me out of house and home. Besides, it is a little larger than I need, and quite by accident discovered the cute-ute Compass. (And, I do like the looks of Compass, especially compared to it's ugly, shorter cousin the Caliber, which I would not buy on a dare.)

But back to the Jeep, what exactly do you mean by trailer wiring, also what model years does this affect? The OP didn't mention what year he/she had.

And, it's good to know that the Jeeps, Compass specifically, have been generally trouble-free. Places like the Edmunds forums really don't talk about them much, so it's hard to glean information, other than the fact that some call them loud and lethargic, that is, and of course "fan-boy" comments are always to be taken with a grain or two of salt. Somewhere in the middle is the truth! LOL

Here's hoping relatively few of these have had electrical issues. That's one of the things a CARFAX won't reveal, is what if anything went wrong mechanically with a car.
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All of the Jeep MK's (Patriot/Compass) and the Dodge PM's (Caliber R/T in particular) are based on the same chassis and electrical system. The Totally Integrated Power Module is pretty much the final link between several CAN BUSES (computer interface devices) and if the volts/amps/whatever sends a bad signal you will have problems with modules that shut down or are damaged.

There have been several issues on installing HID headlights and Trailer Wiring Harnesses that are not specific to these models. The readings sent to the computers tell it that the "load" is wrong for the circuit that's involved and that's where the problems usually begin.

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
MsIrisMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
All of the Jeep MK's (Patriot/Compass) and the Dodge PM's (Caliber R/T in particular) are based on the same chassis and electrical system. The Totally Integrated Power Module is pretty much the final link between several CAN BUSES (computer interface devices) and if the volts/amps/whatever sends a bad signal you will have problems with modules that shut down or are damaged.

There have been several issues on installing HID headlights and Trailer Wiring Harnesses that are not specific to these models. The readings sent to the computers tell it that the "load" is wrong for the circuit that's involved and that's where the problems usually begin.
I see. So the issue is really a bad voltage regulator that fries the module?
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It's a bad reading or a fault as read by the computer. For instance: if you connect additional lights for trailers by just adding them into the circuit (incorrectly) the computer will read it as an overload and shut down the circuit to prevent further damage. This usually saves the modules from being damaged so I'm not sure what the specific failure was in redoglady case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.