CVT2 Operation - Lurching - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CVT2 Operation - Lurching

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
lynnk

CVT2 Operation - Lurching

My Compass has the CVT2 Autostick. I've noticed that if you take your foot off the accelerator that the car slows down really fast ... almost like you have started putting the brakes on lightly. I find it annoying in traffic where you are speeding up a little and then foot off the accelerator because traffic slows down. When you start for feed accelerator again there is almost a jump to start picking up speed again... not a smooth transition. Is this normal operation for the CVT2? I had driven a Caliber before getting the Compass and I noticed it seemed to do that to.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
CVT2 Autostick
Remote Start
RAQ Radio w/ Sirius
lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I had read that the CVT had those characteristic in many of the Caliber Road Tests. Going from memory, it has to do with the CVT shutting off the fuel more completely than a conventional automatic and that helps with engine braking and is part of the reason for improved gas mileage. By stepping back on the gas quickly the CVT will have a jerk to it getting to the right ratio. It was never said to be a mechanical problem, merely a quirk.

I have noticed this on the very few occasions during bumper to bumper traffic, too, but most of my driving is back roads with curves, turns and stops which are all anticipated. I do use it to my advantage but I drive it more like you would a go-kart, snow mobile or run a variable speed drill. The only time that I take my foot completely off the gas is when I intend to completely stop; otherwise I feather the throttle to give me the speed that I want.

Since you have the Auto Stick you may want to experiment with just putting it in the right “gear” during heavy traffic that will let you run between 2 – 3K rpm and see if that helps. That way you may not have the jerk when starting back up. I’d be interest to hear if it helps or not.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
lynnk

Thanks for the feedback. I will try the Autostick suggestion. I assumed that this was just a quark of the CVT. I've also figured out that not taking your foot totally out of the throttle does help the problem... I assume with time I will learn to drive around the quarks. thanks again.

2007 Jeep Compass Limited
CVT2 Autostick
Remote Start
RAQ Radio w/ Sirius
lynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
PolloLoco
need more lemon pledge

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you ever driven a bus before? Just think of it as acting as a transmission retarder

I wish I had a vehicle with a CVT. I might be buying a compass for my commuter vehicle when I graduate and comission in December.
Unread 10-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

do all cvt2 have a "L" range?
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07compasssport
do all cvt2 have a "L" range?
No they don't. These are "D" & "L" only:

CVT2 - Caliber SE, SXT and Compass Sport (Drive only)

CVT2L - Available on Patriot. Low range 4X4.

No "L". "D" and 1-6

CVT2 w/Auto Stick - Caliber R/T and Compass Limited, optional on Compass Sport? (6 manually selectable electronic gear "ratios"). Lockable 4X4 High range on Jeep 4WD models.

Last edited by Gramps; 03-03-2007 at 07:15 AM..
Unread 09-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #7
NoNamesLeft

Lurching when coasting...

I have an 08 Jeep Compass Sport 4x2 with the 2.4 L engine. When going between 25 MPH and 45 MPH, there is a slight but highly noticable lurching when I let up off of the accelerator.

What will happen is I will let my foot off the accelerator, it will coast for about 1 second and it will feel like the engine is downshifting. This only happens between the 25 and 45 MPH ranges. Is this normal?

BTW, this forum is great! I'm glad to see other people and reading everyones experiences with this vehicle!
NoNamesLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #8
zxjockey
2007 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNamesLeft
I have an 08 Jeep Compass Sport 4x2 with the 2.4 L engine. When going between 25 MPH and 45 MPH, there is a slight but highly noticable lurching when I let up off of the accelerator.

What will happen is I will let my foot off the accelerator, it will coast for about 1 second and it will feel like the engine is downshifting. This only happens between the 25 and 45 MPH ranges. Is this normal?

BTW, this forum is great! I'm glad to see other people and reading everyones experiences with this vehicle!
My Patriot does this just North of 25mph, and it drives me nuts. The dealership has no answer for me yet.
zxjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I merged your thread with a real old one. This has been a concern but not a problem. I don't really know if it maybe has something to do with the CVT braking in or changing the way that you drive it. I believe that part of the trick is to not fully let up on the gas. It's second nature after a while and mine hasn't done it for a long time now. Maybe I finally learned how to drive.

Another bit here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...12&postcount=1

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Unread 09-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
NoNamesLeft

Thanks Jockey and Gramps!

I appriciate the info. I might bring it up with my dealer and see what they say but other then that, I wont worry about it.
NoNamesLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Laloggia
2010 JK Wrangler 

My wife had a 1999 Civic that had a CVT transmission....it also tended to lurch from time to time. We had nothing but problems with the tranny. It was in the shop 3 times in less than a year....it had a belt that would slide from gear to gear to make the shifting transaction "smooth"....what a piece of junk. The belt broke twice. I'm no mechanic....so i'm only telling you what they told me. The wife eventually crashed it up and we had to get a new car anyway(she wasn't hurt).

I was very reluctant to get a new car with a CVT when I was looking at the compass. So far so good...but i only have 2500 miles on it. The lurching is normal. You will get used to it. Anyone have any issues with the CVT yet? I haven't done a search yet but will now.

And i do agree....this Forum is awesome!
2007 Honda Civic Coupe
Laloggia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just shy of my 21K oil change. No issues except what we've talked about here. I'm also in the Caliber forums a lot. There hasn't been anything that's gotten my attention.

Search may still be down, they are working on installing 2 new servers.

Unread 09-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #13
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I havent noticed any lurching with our 07 patriot with CVT2L but I did notice it tends to slow down quick when my foots off the gas, sorta like compression braking in a lower gear. guess Im just used to old school V8s and trannys that seemed to coast for miles when your foot was off the gas. Ill have to try leaving my foot in the gas slightly instead of off it and see how it goes.

I wonder if my tranny has slightly different programming being a patriot and the CVT2L. it has an aug 07 build date. maybe it tried to anticipate and "shifts" to a higher ratio so its ready for the gas again?

wish there was a way to find out what software revisions we we all running.
Unread 09-27-2007, 08:34 AM   #14
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharBroiled
I havent noticed any lurching with our 07 patriot with CVT2L but I did notice it tends to slow down quick when my foots off the gas, sorta like compression braking in a lower gear. guess Im just used to old school V8s and trannys that seemed to coast for miles when your foot was off the gas. Ill have to try leaving my foot in the gas slightly instead of off it and see how it goes.

I wonder if my tranny has slightly different programming being a patriot and the CVT2L. it has an aug 07 build date. maybe it tried to anticipate and "shifts" to a higher ratio so its ready for the gas again?

wish there was a way to find out what software revisions we all running.
I didn’t have much driving time on the Patriot with the Off-Road package so the lurching wasn’t something that I noticed. With a Transaxle ratio of 8.15:1 vs 6.12 for the standard CVT2 that is going to make it feel different.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/ratios-cvt2-vs-5-speed-395153/

CVT2L includes, among other things: - Hill-Descent Control, Off-Road Brake Traction Control (vs. standard Brake Traction Control), and calibration enhancements to meet off-road driving requirements.

Both the engine and the transmission programming would need to be different and the CVT2L programming may include the standards but, it will have more to it for the off-road features. The engine programming should be different because at some points the engine speed increases for some conditions. Therefore, I don’t think that the versions would be comparable between the transmissions.

Unread 09-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #15
hunter44102

I personally -love- the down-shift slow down of the CVT2.

When I am driving in stop-n-go traffic and see sudden brake lights, I just let off the Gas to slow down and so I completely avoid hitting the brakes.

So I save wear/tear on the brakes.

I don't care as much what happens to the CVT because its part of the life-time warranty.
hunter44102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.