CVT transmission oil overheat light comes on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CVT transmission oil overheat light comes on

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
THC
2007 MK Patriot 

CVT transmission oil overheat light comes on

I bought the '07 Patriot after my recovery from a bad tour in Iraq. I have had it out to the Racetrack Playa in DV for New Years '08. No problems but it was cold. I can't drive from San Berdoo to San Diego w/out the trans overheat light coming on in the summer months. I went to Vegas for a wedding (not mine) and it overheated 10 times going (in the wee early morning hours) and 16 times coming back late at night. Other than a paragraph in the owners manual telling you to pull over and let it cool down; has Jeep addressed this engineering problem to FIX it?

THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Since you don't have the special dip stick need to check the fluid you'll need to go to the dealer. You can remove the dip stick cap but with no dip stick you may have a hard time telling if the fluid is burnt or not (it probably is). It also takes a special procedure (relating to temperature) to fill them correctly.

Over heating and burnt fluid is associated with the following causes:

EFFECTS OF INCORRECT FLUID LEVEL

A low fluid level allows the pump to take in air along with the fluid. Air in the fluid will cause fluid pressures to be low and develop slower than normal. If the transmission is overfilled, the gears churn the fluid into foam. This aerates the fluid and causing the same conditions occurring with a low level. In either case, air bubbles cause fluid overheating, oxidation, and varnish buildup which interferes with valve and clutch operation. Foaming also causes fluid expansion which can result in fluid overflow from the transmission vent or fill tube. Fluid overflow can easily be mistaken for a leak if inspection is not careful.

CAUSES OF BURNT FLUID

Burnt, discolored fluid is a result of overheating which has three primary causes.
  • Internal clutch slippage, usually caused by low line pressure, inadequate clutch apply pressure, or clutch seal failure.
  • A result of restricted fluid flow through the main and/or auxiliary cooler. This condition is usually the result of a faulty or damaged oil cooler, or severe restrictions in the coolers and lines caused by debris or kinked lines.
  • Heavy duty operation with a vehicle not properly equipped for this type of operation. Trailer towing or similar high load operation will overheat the transmission fluid if the vehicle is improperly equipped. Such vehicles should have an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler, a heavy duty cooling system, and the engine/axle ratio combination needed to handle heavy loads.
The following is included only so that you know what the dealer will be doing. I hope that you are still under warranty, if not you may want to just have them change your fluid. Good luck and THANKS for serving OUR COUNTRY!!!

CHECK OIL LEVEL

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
2. Remove the dipstick tube cap.
WARNING: There is a risk of accident from vehicle starting off by itself when engine is running. There is a risk of injury from contusions and burns if you insert your hands into the engine when it is started or when it is running. Secure vehicle to prevent it from moving off by itself. Wear properly fastened and close-fitting work clothes. Do not touch hot or rotating parts.

3. Actuate the service brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position "P".
4. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling.
5. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Oil Dipstick 9336 into transmission fill tube until the dipstick tip contacts the oil pan and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.
NOTE: The dipstick will protrude from the fill tube when installed.

6. Check transmission oil temperature using the appropriate scan tool.
7. The transmission Oil Dipstick 9336 has indicator marks every 10 mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
8. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
9. Once the oil level is correct, install the dipstick tube cap.

CVT TRANSMISSION FILL GRAPH
trans-chart.jpg  

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
deepnite10

usually after reading one of Gramps suggestions..i get the idea i should get into the dealer..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnite10 View Post
usually after reading one of Gramps suggestions..i get the idea i should get into the dealer..
Are you having a problem that needs to be looked at? I try to give as much info as possible so that people know what's going on, not to scare them. Information is knowledge.

I really am old school "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Yes I do 'cost effective" preventative maintenance but I don't get carried away with it. I'm well aware of signs of things not being right and look at things on an individual basis. On the CVT I was told by the head mechanic, that I had a rapport with at a dealership, that said the 60K trans fluid change was a waste of money. He was told in the factory training that the CVT was designed to last a life time and that preventative maintenance on it was futile.

If you take it racing or put it threw some abnormal usage then you may develop some issues that need to be looked at and a fluid change could help. If you drive it as a grocery getter then it should just about last forever.

Unread 09-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
deepnite10

i really hope your taking my comment the wrong way Gramps..

Oil changes, plugs tire rotations ie, general maint. i can usually handle..but, after reading many issues from failures to maintenance with the CVT..well, whenever the subject comes up it s i start looking at dollar sign s..

luckily i do have a 08 with the Life Time warranty..unluckily i d better keep all the maintenance up to date whether they believe some fluids are life time
fills..
deepnite10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I just hope that I'm not overwhelming people with TOO much information! that's all. I've got 60K on mine and everything still works great. I do sympathise with those that have had problems but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another MK. I like the 'old' torqueflite trans from the early days but since they added the OD system to them they don't seem to last much longer that 60K - 100k themselves. The newer fwd conventional auto trans don't appear to be much better.

Of course having a dealer or a good mechanic that YOU CAN TRUST is invaluable when problems arise!

When someone asks a question I treat their problem just like it was mine and use all of my experience, service manuals and whoever's brain I can pick to follow some kind of logical trouble shooting method to analyse the problem. I treat everybody with a problem just like your one of the family, because you are.

Unread 09-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Jeepguy44

Beginning Recall Effort for Jeep Patriot

Hey guys, I'm working on getting Chrysler to address this problem on a larger scale--they wouldn't fix mine either...it's absolutely ridiculous. Share your story on (oneword): Jeep Patriot Transmission Overheat (dot) com
Jeepguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
carlsonr

clean out your oil-air thermostat, its dirty and not opening thereby bypassing your cooler in front of the radiator(oil-air) and sending hot fluid right back int tranny, you don't need any special dip stick, this is Chryslers latest trick to steal your money, just get any dip stick from your chevy or ford and stick it in the tube, all Chrysler vehicles use the same measurement chart. the measurement is from the bottom of the pan to the resting in neutral fluid level on the stick, just make sure when you put in whatever dip stick you use you feel bottom out in pan, and add an extra half quart after that for safety sake , fluid and filter change on a patriot is five quarts, make sure you buy the green cvat-4 fluid not the red atf-4. it is 7 bucks a quart online. thermostat take about thirty minutes to remove and clean.
carlsonr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.