CVT Gear Ratio/Final Drive Ration question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CVT Gear Ratio/Final Drive Ration question...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

CVT Gear Ratio/Final Drive Ration question...

ATTN: GRAMPS....maybe you have some insight to this...of course everyones knowledge is welcome.

But Gramps...I finally did some homework on the CVT2/CVT2L gear ratio/final drive ratios you've mentioned on here before, and finally made some sense of it all. As you've pointed out....both tranny's have the same gear ratio range as each other....2.349:1 to .394:1. But the difference in the Off Road Patriot is the Final Drive Ratio (transaxle?) of 8.135:1 on the Off Road version, vs. 6.12:1 on the normal 4x4. So this then, does explain why my Patriot runs at 3200 RPM at 75 mph, when everybody elses would run at about 2400 rpm at the same speed.

(side note: Jeep should not advertise the CVT2L as a different transmission with a separate lockable low ratio, when all it actually does is lock the same CVT into it's lowest range...2.349:1 x 8.135:1 = 19.11:1...it's very deceiving, because it changes ALL available gear ratios, not just the low one).

Anyway the point of this all...a question... Is it possible to change the final drive gears to match the normal 4x4 ratio of 6.12:1....on a Off Road Patriot? I don't have much of a 4x4 truck background and not sure what this would entail, but it seems like real truck guys do this all the time on Wranglers/Full Size pickups or whatever. It seems that if all the software and shift lever controls are computerized or internal to the transmission, then what effect, if any, would new final drive gears have?

I'm thinking along the lines of how off roaders install Dana 44/60 axles or whatever, which I think changes the ratio with it? So could one do a similar swap on a Patriot? :crosses fingers:

FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I found a 3 year old thread on another forum talking about this. Apparently the difference in FD1 and FD2 is only the rack and pinion gears in the differential. Nobody in the thread ever said if they got around to swapping them though. Im goingbto visit a 4wd shop and the dealer this week and see if its possible.
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

These would be some of the challenges faced doing a conversion.

Freedom Drive II Off-Road Group includes these things plus some bolt on items:

Electronics that are not changeable:
4-Wheel Drive Off-Road Mode, Brake Lock Differential, Hill Descent Control & Hill Start Assist are all electronically controlled by the PCM as programmed by your VIN (the 4WD characteristics are not an option that can be chosen like tire size.)

Yes the rack & pinions are different as are the half shafts, plus the modules for the Brake Lock, the Hill Descent & Hill start assist.

Just changing the mechanicals of the Final Drive ratios in both the front and rear may adversely affect the control of the PCM and braking systems. The MK's are computer and a coupling disc connects the front and rear; unlike the transfer case style that are mechanically controlled and connected by a gear box. Nobody has ventured to do this because of the programming by VIN. It would be a rather expensive project to have fail.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I'm sad now.
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

There are ppl looking specifically for the FD II package. You may be able to turn it over and get what you really want. Sorry it's not a 'good' news day.

Unread 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Isn't the normal FD1 4x4 an inch shorter as well? I like the ground clearance and 140 amp alt on mine.
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

I did all of my measuring and calculations from the '07 - '09 before they changed a few tire sizes and at that time the FD I was only half an inch shorter than the FD II. Everything was compared to the base FWD Sport model. I covered this before http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/5...1/#post4091410

I have a more detailed explanation of this somewhere.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.