Cross shopping. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Cross shopping.

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Cross shopping.

Out of Pure curiosity, if you cross shopped your jeep before buying it, what did you look at? I'm kinda only interested in why, more interested in what, and what your price range you were looking at was.

Other than the patriot/compass and the Suzuki grand vitara, are there any other cross overs with off road capability?

aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Subaru Outback/Legacy's. Dont like the look of the new ones. Volvo XC70. Cost too much and unreliable.

Got the Patriot because budget was $24k-$25k, awd, almost wagon space, good ground clearance for snow, available lifetime warranty. Oh yeah and it's American.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
08MK74
2008 MK Patriot 

i also "cross shopped" subarus (way over budget, definitely not worth it. very underpowered in my opinion) as well as toyota rav4, but again above budget. what it came down to: price was right, 4 wheel drive and ground clearance an absolute must, simple and straight forward. didnt want anything fancy, more technology to distract the driver is no good, and its just more things that can break.
08MK74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

My wife and I looked at the Nissan Rogues and the Subarus. Subaru has not impressed me with build quality for many, many years, and you still pay extra for them despite the lack there of. The Rogue is a little faster, rated a little higher in almost every aspect, but the Jeep was cheaper and offered true 4x4 (not just AWD). That and the Rogue is very hard to see out the back, especially when when reversing.
[I]4.7L V8, 545RFE, Big Horn Edition[/I]
jasonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

did anybody shop the grand vitara? I've been leaning very heavily towards the patriot, but want to make sure I make the best decision. (i like its looks over the compass, I think the rear of the compass doesn't match the front, front is beautiful) and the grand vitara is similar in power/price/ fuel economy. but its rear wheel drive with a real transfer case and low gearing. but beyond that I don't know anything about it. I want to know how it stacks up against a FDII patriot.
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I think Suzuki ranks the lowest of the low for reliability. Somewhere around Landrover.
Unread 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
General_Jeep
1994 ZJ 

Haha... I was looking at the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 and the Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6 all with a 6 speed manual. Then I realized my old ZJ doesn't have the best track record of actually working so I bought a Jeep Patriot 4x4 5 speed manual. Slow as hell compared to the others but it sure makes up for it in the snow.
2005 Nissan Titan - Hauler

"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!" - Enzo Ferrari
General_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

My selection during the last half of '06 was a bit different than what we have now. I looked at the Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Saturn Vue, and both Hyundai Tucson and Santa Fe. All nice but the Compass came out on top because of what you got for the money. My second choice would have been a stripped down Tucson compared to a decked out Compass.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

What are the vehicles in the sub 30k mark that have any off road capabilities? Besides the jeeps, there is a suzuki, and that's it as far as I know, with out getting a small truck (colorado/ranger etc.)
Unread 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Maybe Mitsubishi Outlander? But they cost more for the same stuff in Jeep trim.
Unread 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

Outlander is more of the next size up SUV, comparing with the Liberty, Explorer, etc.
Unread 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it is a bit big. Anything else you would say is direct competition to a trail rated patriot/compass?
Unread 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

I guess I meant the Outlander Sport. I believe it is the same thing.
Unread 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
jasonwe
2012 MK Compass 

My apologies Fujative, I did not realize the Sport meant it was a smaller version of the Outlander. I thought it to be simply a trim level until I looked today. It is actually slightly smaller than the Compass, with a slightly longer wheelbase.

However, the Mitsubishi and the Compass share the same basic frame and basically the same engine. The frame and engine were co-developed between Chrysler and Mitsubishi a little while ago, with Hyundai being a partner for the engine as well.

That being said, by the time you load up an Outlander Sport with some of the same features as the baser level Compasses, you have a more expensive vehicle. Mitsubishi's incentives also aren't quite as good as Chrysler's. However, the one good thing about Mitsubishi is their warranty: 10 years or 100,000 mile powertrain (vs. 5 year/100,000 on the Jeep) and 5 year or 60,000 mile limited warranty (vs Jeep's 3 year/36,000 mile). You tack on the cost of a service contract from Chrysler to meet the Mitsubishi's standard warranty, and there's most (if not all) your cost difference right there.

I still love my wife's Jeep, and although she doesn't dislike the Outlander, she'd never trade her Jeep in for it. However, I do suggest others test drive the Outlander Sport and research it before making a purchase, it is a worthy contender against the Compass.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.