"Creaky" steering nose at low speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > "Creaky" steering nose at low speed

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
phil8400

"Creaky" steering nose at low speed

I've noticed that at low speeds...(driving into a underground parking garage) while turning, that me steering makes a faint but audible "creaking/ticking" noise.

I'll mention this to the dealer but was wondering if anyone else had noticed.

PS. Where can I find service recalls online?

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

First off, turn up your radio and it will go away.

But then again, a clicking noise usually turned out to be a CV Joint. I'd say it's worth telling them about.

Congrats on getting your's BTW.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
JeepInfoCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
I've noticed that at low speeds...(driving into a underground parking garage) while turning, that me steering makes a faint but audible "creaking/ticking" noise.

I would suggest speaking with your local dealership service department regarding the low speed squeak to check if a TSB or known fix can resolve your issue.

You may also check for recalls on the Jeep Website under Owner Services.
http://www.jeep.com/owners/index.html

Additionally you may want to contact with the recall information center at 1-800-853-1403 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm for a more detailed explanation.

Dan
JeepInfoCenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
phil8400

The "ticking" is actually coming from the steering column. I can hear it if I just turn the wheel while parked. Try it Gramps?
Unread 10-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just a back and forth action? Like that? I'll give it a go. My wife developed a noise in he GC whenever she turned her steering wheel too. I found that a squirrel had put a walnut on the inner fender panel right along side the steering shaft, made a heck of a clicking noise on the "ribs" of the walnut ! I just told her it really was the nut behind the wheel. She didn't hit me too hard.
Unread 11-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Swanny

I've heard a creaking, but it's from the whole body flexing when I'm turning into driveways. Makes me feel like the Compass isn't as solid as I thought it was. But I'm still happy with it and there are no other noises.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
I've heard a creaking, but it's from the whole body flexing when I'm turning into driveways. Makes me feel like the Compass isn't as solid as I thought it was. But I'm still happy with it and there are no other noises.

How have you determined it is that and not a suspension component, spring, shock or bushing?
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
blake0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400

Sadly I have to say that I also heard "creaking/ticking" noise driving into a underground parking. I was steering almost completely stopped when I heard it. It has only happened one time but the noise was pretty loud (Yes Gramps the radio was turned up and I can still hear it )
blake0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0
Sadly I have to say that I also heard "creaking/ticking" noise driving into a underground parking. I was steering almost completely stopped when I heard it. It has only happened one time but the noise was pretty loud (Yes Gramps the radio was turned up and I can still hear it )
WOW! Now that's loud! Still nothing out of mine. Maybe it's mine that's defective?

Last edited by Gramps; 11-06-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
phil8400

I've notice the same "ticking" noise coming from under the steering column when I accalerate or decelerate. Usually from a dead stop...I hear it the most. Weird.

...it's a "tick", "tick" noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.