"Creaky" steering nose at low speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > "Creaky" steering nose at low speed

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
phil8400

"Creaky" steering nose at low speed

I've noticed that at low speeds...(driving into a underground parking garage) while turning, that me steering makes a faint but audible "creaking/ticking" noise.

I'll mention this to the dealer but was wondering if anyone else had noticed.

PS. Where can I find service recalls online?

phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

First off, turn up your radio and it will go away.

But then again, a clicking noise usually turned out to be a CV Joint. I'd say it's worth telling them about.

Congrats on getting your's BTW.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #3
JeepInfoCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400
I've noticed that at low speeds...(driving into a underground parking garage) while turning, that me steering makes a faint but audible "creaking/ticking" noise.

I would suggest speaking with your local dealership service department regarding the low speed squeak to check if a TSB or known fix can resolve your issue.

You may also check for recalls on the Jeep Website under Owner Services.
http://www.jeep.com/owners/index.html

Additionally you may want to contact with the recall information center at 1-800-853-1403 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm for a more detailed explanation.

Dan
JeepInfoCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
phil8400

The "ticking" is actually coming from the steering column. I can hear it if I just turn the wheel while parked. Try it Gramps?
Unread 10-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Just a back and forth action? Like that? I'll give it a go. My wife developed a noise in he GC whenever she turned her steering wheel too. I found that a squirrel had put a walnut on the inner fender panel right along side the steering shaft, made a heck of a clicking noise on the "ribs" of the walnut ! I just told her it really was the nut behind the wheel. She didn't hit me too hard.
Unread 11-04-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Swanny

I've heard a creaking, but it's from the whole body flexing when I'm turning into driveways. Makes me feel like the Compass isn't as solid as I thought it was. But I'm still happy with it and there are no other noises.
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanny
I've heard a creaking, but it's from the whole body flexing when I'm turning into driveways. Makes me feel like the Compass isn't as solid as I thought it was. But I'm still happy with it and there are no other noises.

How have you determined it is that and not a suspension component, spring, shock or bushing?
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
blake0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil8400

Sadly I have to say that I also heard "creaking/ticking" noise driving into a underground parking. I was steering almost completely stopped when I heard it. It has only happened one time but the noise was pretty loud (Yes Gramps the radio was turned up and I can still hear it )
blake0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM   #9
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake0
Sadly I have to say that I also heard "creaking/ticking" noise driving into a underground parking. I was steering almost completely stopped when I heard it. It has only happened one time but the noise was pretty loud (Yes Gramps the radio was turned up and I can still hear it )
WOW! Now that's loud! Still nothing out of mine. Maybe it's mine that's defective?

Last edited by Gramps; 11-06-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Unread 11-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
phil8400

I've notice the same "ticking" noise coming from under the steering column when I accalerate or decelerate. Usually from a dead stop...I hear it the most. Weird.

...it's a "tick", "tick" noise.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.