Creaking/rattling/grinding noises-dealership unable to help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Creaking/rattling/grinding noises-dealership unable to help

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 09-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
bookworm12

Creaking/rattling/grinding noises-dealership unable to help

Hi,
I have a 2010 Jeep Compass Sport 4x4 with almost 36,000 miles on it. I just bought it at the beginning of August from a Jeep dealership. I took it to the dealership last week because I was hearing a rattling sound from the rear end. They "fixed" it, saying it was a link in the trailing arm. This week, when I was going slow through a parking lot, I heard a creaking/rattling sound again. It seems to be coming from the rear end again on the driver's side, except it was much louder and noticeable than before it was taken to the dealership. I dropped it off and instructed them that you have to be going at low speeds (like in a parking lot) or driving through the city at less than 30 miles per hour in order to hear it.

The first day they said they couldn't hear any noise when they test drove it, so I had to go into the dealership and ride with the service manager to see if we could hear the noise together. There wasn't a rattling or creaking noise this time, but a grinding noise coming from the front end when I was going at low speeds through their parking lot. Today, they tell me there is definitely a grinding noise that seems to get a bit louder once the Jeep has heated up but they couldn't pin point it. Chrysler wants them to test drive another 2010Compass to compare, but of course they didn't have one. They told me that I will have to drive it how it is until they can test drive another one.

I honestly have never heard of a mechanic not knowing where a noise was coming from or how to fix it. Has anyone else had these issues or maybe know what the noises mean!?

bookworm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
Atlas

2010 JK Wrangler 

They probably want to be sure on what to change, throwing parts at a problem without knowing the cause can get expensive quick. Did you have it serviced recently? Maybe they put the wrong gear oil in it. As for the rattle, throw it on a lift or jackstands and see if a loose washer is the culprit.

"Sometimes I think this is all just a dream but then I remember my dreams always have Tom Selleck in them." - Keith
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
bookworm12

No, I haven't had it serviced recently. My boyfriend is going to left it up and look underneath this weekend. Thanks for the reply! Also, love your picture, great movie! That's one of the funniest parts!
Unread 10-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Bishcal

I have a 2010 compass also and I have the exact same problem as you......they have replaced the every rear suspension part and I still have the creaking in the rear end. So frustrating. If anyone can help we would greatly appreciate. Goes to shop again tomorrow. Mechanic can hear the noise but can't find cause.
Bishcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Bishcal

Good news. After having all rear end parts replaced previously, today the dealer says they found problem.....left emergency brake cable...they are replacing right and left....crossing our fingers..
Bishcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

I have a 2011 that I got in August. This same issue just cropped up for me. Slow speed groans/creaks and rattles like something is loose. However, it only does it while towing my boat( did not do it at 1st when towing - new issue ).
Active Drive I
NHPATRIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Just look at it this way................

If you can not find the noise what makes you think someone else will ba able to?

Random noises happen and can be almost impossible to track down.Murphy's law comes into effect also as 99% of the time the noise goes away when at the shop.I've been on many test drives with customers and they said "hear that?" I say "No",then they say it's so loud they can barely hear the radio playing but the unny thing is the radio is not on and it's dead silent.I've found most noises are created by the customer.Had a lady come in complaining of noise from the brakes,myself and 6 others drove it and could not hear a thing but everytime we drove past the shop the customer would say she hears that loud brake squeak when she is sitting in the waiting area with the TV on 50' away from from the street and we are not even on the brakes,all in her head.
Unread 10-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

Wow. I am glad you don't work on my vehicles.
Active Drive I
Unread 10-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
Wow. I am glad you don't work on my vehicles.
Why because if you can't find the noise you expect me to?

Can't find what you can not hear.
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:06 AM   #10
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

No because of your poor attitude and lack of respect for the customer that is so apparant. If I bring my vehicle in and say something is wrong you can bet your butt it is. However, it is clear to me that if you have no clue what it is you will just say it doesn't exist and the customer is imagining it( as you have done here )rather than admit you need help figuring it out. I have worked dealer service myself( parts and service - including management positions )and if I ever heard you talk the way you have here to a customer, or even say that stuff to other employees about customers, you would not be employed for long.
Active Drive I
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:32 AM   #11
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Many times it does take 'new' eyes and ears to find problems. My wife has complained about some things on her older GC's that the dealer couldn't find but I did. I am no whiz bang when it comes to finding problems but face it when you have a wife climbing up your butt, you try harder.

She has always said there in a very intermittent 'beep' that she hears in my Compass when she's in the passenger seat and we are just driving along. I have NEVER heard it. We both have hearing loss but at different frequencies. I don't have a clue as to what it may be but I'm not concerned about it either.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
No because of your poor attitude and lack of respect for the customer that is so apparant. If I bring my vehicle in and say something is wrong you can bet your butt it is. However, it is clear to me that if you have no clue what it is you will just say it doesn't exist and the customer is imagining it( as you have done here )rather than admit you need help figuring it out. I have worked dealer service myself( parts and service - including management positions )and if I ever heard you talk the way you have here to a customer, or even say that stuff to other employees about customers, you would not be employed for long.
No I'm just honest and don't sugar coat things.I do not talk to customers,they just want me to work for free and that is not happening.
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
NHPATRIOT
2014 KL Cherokee 

There is honest without sugar coating and then there is being arrogant and rude.
Active Drive I
Unread 10-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #14
bookworm12

Thanks for the replies, after 5 visits to 2 different dealerships my Jeep is finally fixed! At the first dealership, they replaced a link somewhere in the rear. The noise continued and they did nothing to help me. I went to the dealership I purchased the Jeep from (which is much farther away than the other one which is why I didn't go there first) and they replaced another link the the towing package and they had to replace some pins in the back bumper. They said it looked like it had been in a small, no visable damage fender-bender that was never reported. Just happy to have it fixed!
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
yjhunter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

my neoghbour has a compass and had some banging/clanging in the rear. turned out to be a broken shock tower on the inside of the vehical. had that fixed and no more noise. just a thought
yjhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.