CRD: Clicking noise under bonnet after stopped. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CRD: Clicking noise under bonnet after stopped.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
spencernj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

CRD: Clicking noise under bonnet after stopped.

When I switch the engine off and turn the ignition off for about 20 seconds there is a tapping noise like a solenoid quickly engaging and disengaging which then stops if I turn the ignition back on but do not start. When I turn the ignition off again it will start again. If I leave the car it stops after about 20 seconds. Sounds like it comming from near the front of the engine bay.

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Unread 09-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
merlinTec

Hi
No not normal, Can you be more pacific could be EGR valve
Unread 09-29-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
spencernj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its difficult to locate the exact source especially when I am not dressed to crawl around the engine. I will stick my head under the bonnet with a large screwdriver as a stethescope and see exactly where it comes from.
Unread 10-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
zbee

its the turbo etc cooling down etc, my other halfs does the same...no biggy
zbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
spencernj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am now sure its not the turbo - suspect it is the EGR but why should it bedoing this after the engine is off. I also noticed it only happens when hot not cold or after a short run. A sound file of the noise is here http://www.rhiannonspencerjones.com/MyRecording.caf and the photo is the component I reckon the noise comes from. If this is the EGR it doesn't look too easily accesible (in fact it looks a nightmare) and then the question is the fault with the valve or the ECU that operates it, but I suspect the valve may just need a clean. The car drives fine, no power problems, no smoke and good fuel consumption but has done 73k miles in 2.5 years. It would seem from a quick google that many VW owners disable these.
photo.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
merlinTec

HI
Sounds like the EGR throttle valve. Not the EGR valve that you can see with the vacuum pipe on it and the metal pipe bolted on the other side. It's the bit below that, you can just see the bolt on the front there are two more behind and an electrical plug. You can just see the motor under the metal pipe.

Tags
clicking noise , crd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.