CRD blown engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > CRD blown engine

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
merlinTec

CRD blown engine

Hi
I knew VW had problem but was hoping this wouldn’t transfer to Jeep but had my first this week. This patriot got towed in after it went to full revs on it’s own and lots of smoke. I checked the oil level and it was very high. I had to drain 5 litres to get it to the correct oil level and was very runny. Suspected fuel in the oil so possible injector seals or tandem pump and it had filled the sump with fuel and so the engine ran away on it’s own oil.
Others of you visit other forums and I wonder if mine is a one off or it is becoming a real problem to jeep as it is to VW. This patriot have not even done 3.000 miles yet.
Regards,
Merlin

Unread 01-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

This is the first that I've seen for the Jeeps. Hopefully it's a one off but they haven't been out there that long. I hope that the the CRD guys out there maybe start checking their oil for "full" and fuel smell regularly.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
mdls4
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's got me worried. Since I bought my CRD MK, the oil level on the dipstick was always "above" the Full mark. After a few months with the engine running in, it did use about 1/3 of the oil. After the 10,000km service, the oil level is back to above the "full" mark on the dipstick.

I haven't had any Rev issues or excessive smoke yet. I hope this is a one off.

mdls4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
ps-amazon

my Dodge Caliber has the same engine, and I did 75.000 km's with the car up to now without engine problems; on Caliber forums I've never seen such problems
ps-amazon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps-amazon
my Dodge Caliber has the same engine, and I did 75.000 km's with the car up to now without engine problems; on Caliber forums I've never seen such problems
Thanks for the additional info! It looks like you now have Patriot and a Caliber (you can help us keep CoriolisSTORM from feeling lonely).

From what Merlin has said it appears that VW sees more frequent problems than we do. It's nice to be forwarded of this potential problem and be able to keep an eye on it.

Unread 01-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
ps-amazon

yes, I have a Caliber CRD since october 2006 and a patriot CRD since last week; wy wife wanted the Caliber so I had to buy something like the Caliber.....
In Holland diesel engines are very popular because they use 1 litre on 12-16 km. and diesel costs less than gas and the diesels are very reliable and as fast (or faster) than the gas engines;
I never heard problems as Merlin had, also in Germany where they drive even faster than in Holland there are no such problems; the Volkswagen/Audi diesel engines are very reliable: 120 mph is no problem at all; that is also the reason we can't use the US tires because they are often R, S or T rated for speed (120 mph)
ps-amazon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The problems with the VW CRD have not reached the level of either a Recall or even a TSB at this point. Fortunately JF has a large enough membership that includes some of those with information that much of the public will never hear about. Merlin, being a Master Tech in the UK, has been privileged with some information on a potential problem and is just keeping us informed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.