cracked windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > cracked windshield

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

cracked windshield

Our Patriot has about 3200 miles on it, and today is showed up with a cracked windshield. The crack is about 9 inches long (sure to grow), and runs along the bottom of the windshield. I think it's probably too low in the windshield to have been caused by a rock from the road.

Anybody have any theories about what might have happened?

Do I have any chance of getting this covered under warranty? Our insurance would cover it, but the deductible is probably as much as the windshield would be.

jessasfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Busch2fan
2008 KK Liberty 

You might try the dealer on a warranty issue. But my guess is they will work hard at convincing you a stone hit it. I let my ins co talk me out of 0 ded on my comprehensive to save me couple a hundred a year. About a month later I had a crack in the '03 Liberty. I called and really put it to him as he was the one that almost forced me to up the ded to $500. Anyway since I had paid higher premium for years he ate the cost of the new windshield.
Busch2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Coasty161
2008 JK Wrangler 

try this http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/Caliber/...er_2304706.pdf
Coasty161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

was it a cold day and you had the heat cranked onto the defrost or w/e? The windshield being cold and putting heat on it could have caused it to crack...i've had friends who have told me about it...
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

It wasn't a particularly cold day...we've had a lot colder since we've had it.

And if that were true (cracking due to heat/cold), that would seem to me to be a for-sure warranty claim...but that's just me.

I guess I'll take it in and see what they say. It's annoying, either way. I've had my TJ (rock chip magnet) for 4 years with no problems, and after a couple of months with the Patriot, this.
Unread 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
patrick3319
2008 MK Compass 

cuz even I thought...since it starts off cold...and then slowly warms up that the glass would be fine, and my friends said that I guess the glass doesn't heat up as fast as the heat from the vents...I DON'T think that would be something covered under warranty as its yourself turning on the heat, but I could be wrong, and that could not even be the problem! hope everything works out for you tho!
patrick3319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
jessasfella
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, I did the ballpoint pen thing that was suggested in the service bulletin posted above, and sure enough, there's an impact point. It's incredibly low on the windshield...below where the wiper blade rests and in the black portion of the window. I have no idea how a rock from the road could have hit that. A rock would actually have had to be coming from above, from the sky, to hit it there. I actually have my suspicion that a tool was dropped on it (I had the oil changed at the dealer on Friday), but there's no way to prove something like that. I guess I just bought a windshield.
Unread 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Knightfallzx2
2008 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick3319 View Post
cuz even I thought...since it starts off cold...and then slowly warms up that the glass would be fine, and my friends said that I guess the glass doesn't heat up as fast as the heat from the vents...I DON'T think that would be something covered under warranty as its yourself turning on the heat, but I could be wrong, and that could not even be the problem! hope everything works out for you tho!
I would fight that for warranty. No manufacturer can blame one for turning the heat on to defrost the windows so the driver can safely see the road. Not to mention the fact that has never happened to any of my previous cars, my parents, or my friends. (Trust me, there's plenty of opportunity for that to happen here in Winnipeg with our winters.)
Read my Blog on Jeepspace
Knightfallzx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
slate210
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessasfella View Post
Well, I did the ballpoint pen thing that was suggested in the service bulletin posted above, and sure enough, there's an impact point. It's incredibly low on the windshield...below where the wiper blade rests and in the black portion of the window. I have no idea how a rock from the road could have hit that. A rock would actually have had to be coming from above, from the sky, to hit it there. I actually have my suspicion that a tool was dropped on it (I had the oil changed at the dealer on Friday), but there's no way to prove something like that. I guess I just bought a windshield.
I had a small pebble get kicked up from the highway, bounce on my hood, and smack my old Mercedes in the lower black portion of the windshield just as you describe. Thankfully, it didn't crack for years, just had a nice little crater. So it can happen, it's just life on the highway. No one to blame here.

A tool most likely would not cause the kind of damage you're talking about. It would be a strange accident for someone to be hovering over your windshield with a tool.
1997 TJ 4.0 5-SP 134k mi. Red Jeep Club Member #450 - Some mods...
NJJA - New Jersey Jeep Association

2006 VW Jetta TDI DSG 54k mi. BLACK Rocketchipped, boostvalve, boost gauge.
slate210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
TMan2
2008 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessasfella View Post
I think it's probably too low in the windshield to have been caused by a rock from the road.

Anybody have any theories about what might have happened?
Last fall driving my old Ford under an underpass a stone fell from above and put a nice little crack in my windshield right at the bottom where it normally would have been protected from the hood. If there is a way, bad luck will find it.
TMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick3319 View Post
was it a cold day and you had the heat cranked onto the defrost or w/e? The windshield being cold and putting heat on it could have caused it to crack...i've had friends who have told me about it...
not possible..... if the crack doesnt have a point of impact like a spider web affect, or a chip where something may have it you have a better chance at warrenty.. still stinks though

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.