Covering gas tank - suggestions? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Covering gas tank - suggestions?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Thanks, guys! I've only had my Compass for less than two weeks, but I've already noticed the heat shield behind the rear bumper. Since my Compass is black, it REALLY sticks out!

Wonder how difficult it would be to remove it, so that I can paint it without worrying about masking everything from the overspray?

Some painters tape and some drop cloths would probably be just as easy...

Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
phil8400

Take it to the dealer and have them look at it 'cause it's not normal.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
compassjeep

maybe it is it not painted black now the muffler?
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #19
Kozmotoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's the muffler!

The muffler is what you see below the rear bumper. Rear impact caused all Chrysler vehicles to put the fuel tanks in front of the rear axle (Mandatory for all *new* programs after round about 2000???).

I understand that the muffler is not painted because it would significantly drive up the cost of the supplied exhaust system. The exhaust supplier would need a paint shop (expensive), resulting in a higher piece cost.

You can spray it with any paint in a spray bomb, but I'd expect to re-spray it several times in the vehicle's life span. It's a galvanized part, so it should never get too unsightly if left as-is.
Kozmotoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #20
madrabbitt

someone mentioned bbq paint.
thats what i'd use.

either flat (or if you'd like glossy) high temp enamel paint should do the trick.
if you're going to the store tell them you need enamel oven or bbq grill paint and they should know what you're looking for.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #21
compassjeep

my muffler was painted flat black, odd the way they do and do not do certain things, my limited does not have the silver dash trim around the gauge cluster? brochure shows it, website shows it! the dealer and jeep can not explain why some do & some don't?! great quality control, a least all 4 of tires match! lol
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.