Covering gas tank - suggestions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Covering gas tank - suggestions?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Melanie

Covering gas tank - suggestions?

I finally got my new Compass, but the shiny metal gas tank is incredibly visible below the rear bumper. In pictures, it seems like it's always black/dark. Is there any aftermarket treatment that I can use on this, like some sort of undercoating?

2007 Compass North[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Sure Mel,

Many of the auto parts stores have a spray on undercoating that I would use for that. I wonder why the Facyory or Dealer didn't see that? Maybe if it was pointed out to them they'd do it for free!

Congrats on finally getting yours!!!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
phil8400

My tank is matte black and looks like plastic.
phil8400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Mine does too. Guess that's why I suggested that the dealer take a look at it. It's probably just sprayed on undercoat

Unread 12-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Mine does too. Guess that's why I suggested that the dealer take a look at it. It's probably just sprayed on undercoat
Absolutely, because a bright shinny (or rusted out) gas tanks would not look good at all given how visible it is on the Compass.

On the other hand, that shinny monstrosity of a muffler on the Chevy Equinox (Pontiac Torrent and Saturn Vue) is MUCH worse! Those backends are ALL muffler...and wheel to wheel. Barf!
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
jetjane

OK, I was curious as to what was on mine so I ran outside to check. After looking at what was hanging below the rear bumper, my opinion is that that is not the gas tank but some kind of muffler type thing since the the exhaust pipe is coming out of it. I would think that having a gas tank hanging below the the car is rather dangerous?? Whatever it is, it is matte black on mine as well.
jetjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Melanie

Thanks, guys. Didn't want to purchase anything before I knew that it wouldn't hurt the car! Guess that's a job for tomorrow afternoon once I get off work for the holidays!

I turned down the dealer undercoating as it was described to me as something that would cut down on road noise. Coming out of Cherokee, road noise is a given. I didn't expect that the gas tank would come out so bright and shiny without that undercoating!

Mel
2007 Compass North[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie
Thanks, guys. Didn't want to purchase anything before I knew that it wouldn't hurt the car! Guess that's a job for tomorrow afternoon once I get off work for the holidays!

I turned down the dealer undercoating as it was described to me as something that would cut down on road noise. Coming out of Cherokee, road noise is a given. I didn't expect that the gas tank would come out so bright and shiny without that undercoating!

Mel

Mel,
I've undercoated all under neath my Challenger with the stuff from NAPA but I'm sure the other stuff on the market is probably just as good. The stuff STINKS, so do it with good ventilation!

Unread 12-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
unibus
2007 MK Compass 

Well I just went out to my garage and crawled under my new Compass.... The gas tank is forward of the rear wheels in the relative center of the compass, where it should be I might add if anyone remembers the Ford Pinto. Hanging below the rear bumper in view from the rear of the vehicle is the Muffler, I'd pass on undercoating it if was up to me. I have a 4X2 so maybe the 4X4 is configured differently
unibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibus
Well I just went out to my garage and crawled under my new Compass.... The gas tank is forward of the rear wheels in the relative center of the compass, where it should be I might add if anyone remembers the Ford Pinto. Hanging below the rear bumper in view from the rear of the vehicle is the Muffler, I'd pass on undercoating it if was up to me. I have a 4X2 so maybe the 4X4 is configured differently
How dare you mention the word Pinto on this board?

jk
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:46 AM   #11
compassjeep

that shiny thing is a heat shield for the muffler black barbecue paint should do it.
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #12
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassjeep
that shiny thing is a heat shield for the muffler black barbecue paint should do it.
excellent suggestion!
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:09 AM   #13
BuzzDog

Thanks, guys! I've only had my Compass for less than two weeks, but I've already noticed the heat shield behind the rear bumper. Since my Compass is black, it REALLY sticks out!

Wonder how difficult it would be to remove it, so that I can paint it without worrying about masking everything from the overspray?
BuzzDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
compassjeep

do not remove heat shrowd

i would leave it , just spray it flat black, you are correct it does stand out, i just put a magnaflow cat back polished stainless, other then the fitment issues and the drowning sound at cruising speed, it looks great when its standing still.
compassjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #15
phil8400

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzDog
Thanks, guys! I've only had my Compass for less than two weeks, but I've already noticed the heat shield behind the rear bumper. Since my Compass is black, it REALLY sticks out!

Wonder how difficult it would be to remove it, so that I can paint it without worrying about masking everything from the overspray?
...remember to put it back 'cause you'll need it for re-entry.

Last edited by phil8400; 12-22-2006 at 08:26 AM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.