Cooling SYstem Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Cooling SYstem Question

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
greenmohawk
2008 MK Compass 

Cooling SYstem Question

Read online that in Chrysler cooling systems there is a small flow through the heater core and radiator even with the thermostat closed, curious if this is true. Debating blocking off some of the grill during winter time to help warm up the engine/cab faster.

Thoughts?

greenmohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Your cooling system allows the waterpump to pump coolant through the heater core at all times when the engine is running,full flow also.No need to block off the grill unless you want to overheat,and yes it will overheat in sub-zero temps with the grill blocked off or partially blocked off.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
greenmohawk
2008 MK Compass 

After the coolant has gone through the heater-core where does it go from there? does it return directly to the block? or does it go through the radiator first? Wikipedia states that there is flow through the heater core at all times as you said, but after the heater core that flow goes through the radiator so that in the event of a thermostat fails there is still some cooling provided.

I'm aware that overheating is a possible concern, but when it gets to be -35 C I see lots of cars/trucks doing it, it is fairly common for people to block the grill and remove the air intake extension so that the engine is pulling warmer air from inside the engine bay. Simply looking for some more info to help me decide if I want to try it, and if I do I would be carefully watching the temp gauge and could easily pull over and remove it.
greenmohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmohawk View Post
After the coolant has gone through the heater-core where does it go from there? does it return directly to the block? or does it go through the radiator first? Wikipedia states that there is flow through the heater core at all times as you said, but after the heater core that flow goes through the radiator so that in the event of a thermostat fails there is still some cooling provided.

I'm aware that overheating is a possible concern, but when it gets to be -35 C I see lots of cars/trucks doing it, it is fairly common for people to block the grill and remove the air intake extension so that the engine is pulling warmer air from inside the engine bay. Simply looking for some more info to help me decide if I want to try it, and if I do I would be carefully watching the temp gauge and could easily pull over and remove it.
I'd have to actually look at the engine to tell you that but I know on my 3.7 V6 both heater core lines go to the front cover,one from the WP and the other back into the block.

You already have a small grill opening,blocking off anymore can create a overheating issue very fast. Diesels and large gas trucks benefit from a winter front unloaded as they have massive cooling systems for towing so unloaded they only need 25% or so of there cooling capacity.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.