Coolant Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Coolant Help!!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
beep21
2011 MK Compass 

Coolant Help!!

Hi everybody,
I'm new here, and realitivley new to vehicle maintence. My dad used to take care of this kind of stuff, but since he has passed it's turned to me...and I'm a girl...and up until a year ago I only worried about whether the vehicle was cute or not. I have a 2011 jeep compass, love it, but have a coolant question.
My windsheild wiper fluid needed refilling (almost completely drained) so when I popped the hood to refill it I noticed the pink stuff next door (my manual says the anti-freeze/coolant) was REALLY LOW, it's past the second line which I assume isn't good. So I went to my local dodge dealer (who did my last oil change at the beginning of October) and asked if they sell the anti-freeze/coolant for my jeep. They sold me 5 year, 200,000 anti-freeze in a liter container. The guy at the parts said to put it in to top it up and I'll be fine. I read the instructions before "topping up" and it says to mix 50% distilled water, to 50% anti-freeze, and then to flush the system (something I'm not even sure how to do). So my question is, if I go out and buy distilled water how do I mix it 50/50? or can I just go in to a Mr.Lube to top up my fluids, since my dealer is a week and a half wait for an appointment?

Help Please, I really don't want my engine to be damaged by having 0 coolant, nor do I want it to overheat.

Thanks

beep21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
FujativeOCR
2011 MK Patriot 

Im not at home so cant immediatly check the manual, but firstly, make sure the coolant they sold you, matches the type/part number the manual says to use on your jeep. If its the same, then only mix with distilled water if the jeep manual says so.

As far as mixing, you could do it anyway you want. Eyeball it in an empty plastic bottle to get it close enough. Its not an exact science. If you can see the fluid in your jeep reservoir tank, it won't take a ton extra to fill it up.

Also i dont think it needs filled to the top of the reservoir tank. The fluid expands as it heats up. Normally anti-freeze tanks have a low and a high line for cold or hot fluid. If you overfill it, the system is designed to purge out the extra anyway. That will come out as steam and an apparent leak at least until it gets itself back to normal level.
FujativeOCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

You could mix the anti-freeze & Distilled water in a gallon milk jug and just save what you don't use for later. It's like cooking (how much is a pinch of salt?) approximations are fine. Most new cars call for the Organic Anti-freeze/Coolant, I used Peak Global when I installed my oil cooler kit and unless you have high mileage (100K or so) you don't need to flush it, just top it off.

BTW - to the group!

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
You could mix the anti-freeze & Distilled water in a gallon milk jug and just save what you don't use for later. It's like cooking (how much is a pinch of salt?) approximations are fine. Most new cars call for the Organic Anti-freeze/Coolant, I used Peak Global when I installed my oil cooler kit and unless you have high mileage (100K or so) you don't need to flush it, just top it off.

BTW - to the group!
Just don't use OAT coolants in your Jeep that requires HOAT coolant,a sludge mess waiting to happen as the 2 do not mix.

The only coolants that belong in your Jeep are the MOPAR coolant,Zerex GO5,or Ford's Premium Gold coolant.All others are OAT coolants(AKA dexcool).
Unread 11-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just don't use OAT coolants in your Jeep that requires HOAT coolant,a sludge mess waiting to happen as the 2 do not mix.

The only coolants that belong in your Jeep are the MOPAR coolant,Zerex GO5,or Ford's Premium Gold coolant.All others are OAT coolants(AKA dexcool).
Good info, thx. Maybe the reason I haven't had a problem was that it was a complete change along with the hoses when I did the additional cooler. I'm due for another drain and flush now so I'll find the HOAT stuff.

Unread 11-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

More info. You're looking for a G-5 Coolant if you want HOAT. There been other manufactures that have come out with this formula than listed above so read the labels.

http://www.recycool.net/index.php?op...acts&Itemid=10

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.