'Cool Compass Shift Knob' - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > 'Cool Compass Shift Knob'

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #31
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

It was standard on the '07 Compass but not for the Patriot or anything in '08.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #32
blovingier
1999 WJ 

Gramps, how's that autostick feel? I drove a Mitsubishi that had that (not an american model) and wasn't too impressed. I'm not comparing a Jeep to a Mitsi by the way.

[B]99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo[/B] - [COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Totalled[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-3" lift w/Bilsteins - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -30.5" Pirelli Scorpion ATRs
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494045"]Clear Lenses[/URL] - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5229329#post5229329"]Cobra 75 CB w/Wilson 4' Antenna[/URL]
-[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7008250#post7008250"]Home-Brew Discos[/URL]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734768&highlight=diamond+plate+hitch+cover"]Diamond Plate Hitch Cover[/URL]

[B]07 Compass (wife's ride)[/B][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Sold[/SIZE][/COLOR]
-Stock
blovingier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #33
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blovingier
Gramps, how's that autostick feel? I drove a Mitsubishi that had that (not an american model) and wasn't too impressed. I'm not comparing a Jeep to a Mitsi by the way.
Before I had the performance TSB done I wasn't too impressed with it. It did help holding it in a single gear on hill accent/decent that was covered with snow and ice. I don't like changing gears in those types of conditions. The TSB added a very nice increase to the performance even in "D" but since then I've played around more with the AutoStick portion and I love it. In drive it gets you going and is quite alright but when I need the extra boost to get out in fast moving traffic I drop the AutoStick down as low as it will go and nail it. What would have been "just enough" with "D" is now lots of daylight between me and the car approaching. It's a much nicer feeling KNOWING that you can make it as opposed to "I THINK" that I can squeeze in there. If you're sitting at a stop and drop it down it does to "1", if you driving you may need to tap it a couple times to the left to get it to drop down to it's maximum. It won't let you over rev, no problems there. To put it back in "D" you just hold it to the right.

I could be wrong on this but what it SEEMS to do in "D" is still use the sliding of the variators to get you up to speed. When you select a predetermined ratio it stays in that ratio (no sliding around) until you get to peak rpm and then changes to the next predetermined ratio. Like I said, that's what it "feels" like.

Jeepster55 and I have been pooling our ignorance and looking at what it would take to change his regular gate to an AutoStick. These are the parts that you'll need:

05273374AC Shifter

0ZH70DX9AA Bezel

and according to his Service people there is no change to the programming. Sounds cool if that's all there is to it!

Unread 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #34
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
Before I had the performance TSB done I wasn't too impressed with it. It did help holding it in a single gear on hill accent/decent that was covered with snow and ice. I don't like changing gears in those types of conditions. The TSB added a very nice increase to the performance even in "D" but since then I've played around more with the AutoStick portion and I love it. In drive it gets you going and is quite alright but when I need the extra boost to get out in fast moving traffic I drop the AutoStick down as low as it will go and nail it. What would have been "just enough" with "D" is now lots of daylight between me and the car approaching. It's a much nicer feeling KNOWING that you can make it as opposed to "I THINK" that I can squeeze in there. If you're sitting at a stop and drop it down it does to "1", if you driving you may need to tap it a couple times to the left to get it to drop down to it's maximum. It won't let you over rev, no problems there. To put it back in "D" you just hold it to the right.

I could be wrong on this but what it SEEMS to do in "D" is still use the sliding of the variators to get you up to speed. When you select a predetermined ratio it stays in that ratio (no sliding around) until you get to peak rpm and then changes to the next predetermined ratio. Like I said, that's what it "feels" like.

Jeepster55 and I have been pooling our ignorance and looking at what it would take to change his regular gate to an AutoStick. These are the parts that you'll need:

05273374AC Shifter

0ZH70DX9AA Bezel

and according to his Service people there is no change to the programming. Sounds cool if that's all there is to it!
How I wish it was that easy to add a 5 speed AWD! I still haven't gotten the stupid service done to mine to up the performance. I was ashamed by a girl in a Honda Accord today... (She wouldn't let me over, and apparently thought I was "racing".)
Unread 01-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #35
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

They've run into a problem with this conversion on an FD II on another site. There is one more piece that doesn't show in the Parts Book but does show in the Service Manual. Its called a Transmission Range Sensor (TRS). I believe that the TRS is possibly the same on the two CVT's without AutoStick, they both have the lower gate (L) under the "D" slot. This allows them to go into Low only but the FD II has different sensors in the transmission to go into Off-Road mode. Since the TRS in the AutoStick does not have this position (or the electrical connections) it won't let the Off-Road mode engage, neither will it let the standard CVT go into Low. The TRS allows the correct signals to be sent to the primary and secondary valves inside the CVT to manually select which of the valves open and close when you manually select the gears.

We need somebody (hint, hint) to check the newer parts books for the listings on the TRS to see if there is more than one and, if so, what are the applications.

Unread 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #36
Jeepster55

"hint, hint" huh?

i got your email, but only after i got home tonight. i only wish i had access to "Star Parts", but we use ProQuest in our dept. i can only access it at work....

BUT first thing tomorrow morning i'll get on it and i'll post what i find.....
Jeepster55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #37
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Here's a pic of it and the "special tool" needed to align it.

and
trs.jpg   parkneturalswitchadjtool.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.