Convince Me to Buy a Compass - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Convince Me to Buy a Compass

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-01-2006, 04:53 AM   #16
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

Kev,

I'm sure that you'll be happy with your choice. We may have had similar needs but wanted to do it in different ways. I will miss your insight and the contributions that you could have made to these forums as an owner.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gramps; 10-02-2006 at 04:16 AM..
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #17
Melanie

Kev,

You've done your research and, without a doubt, you've made the right choice. Thanks for posting your impressions of the Compass test drive. Makes me more confident that I made the right choice for me.

Mel
2007 Compass North[/FONT][/I][/SIZE]
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #18
Kev M
2012 WK 

Mel and Gramps, thanks for helping me to make a tough decision.

Actually, I should say, thanks for making a tough decision tougher, lol. But that's good, I think you guys gave me good things to think about.

Best of luck with & enjoy your vehicles, I'm SURE that you will and that you've made great choices.

Oh, something I forgot in my second review. I spent some time poking around the engine compartment. I thought the Compass engine compartment was well laid out, and was QUITE happy with the logical and well placed oil filter at the bottom, center, front of the motor, positioned so it can spin off without an excessive mess. Well done.

Kev
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #19
llpistonsll

get a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4x4 its so much better, I just got one over the compass.
I test drove both, and the trailblazer is alot better and holds more people.

Im glad i got my trailblazer insted because its better all over. It has a better interior, better offroadm abd alot more stuff.
llpistonsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2006, 07:49 PM   #20
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpistonsll
get a 2006 Trailblazer LT 4x4 its so much better, I just got one over the compass.
I test drove both, and the trailblazer is alot better and holds more people.

Im glad i got my trailblazer insted because its better all over. It has a better interior, better offroadm abd alot more stuff.
I could blast you for a stupid post (grammar notwithstanding), but I'll leave it be.

I'm very happy that you're happy with your trailblazer, but as you grow and learn you may also come to understand the difference between objectivity and subjectivity.

"Better" is a tough term to quantify.

Is something faster? More comfortable? Cheaper? More attractive? Does it demonstrate superiority in handling, braking or fuel economy?

I daresay I'm fortunate that my career has offered me the chance to sample (for weeks at a time) hundreds of cars, trucks and motorcycles. I can find something I like in almost everything and truly dislike only a handful of vehicles.

Ironically I'm an old Chevy guy (having owned 4 of them in my years) so you'd think that I'd be predisposed to like the Trailblazer.

But truth is, Chevy doesn't currently build anything I'd seriously consider owning. The Equinox wasn't bad, and it was close to consideration, but alas it didn't make the cut.

The Trailblazer, well, aside from initial reports of dangerous sway when towing close to capacity, I'm not all that impressed with the drivetrain, it gives HORRIBLE gas mileage and has that famous GM vagueness in handling department.

So, I can say, with relative certainty that there is absolutely NOTHING "Better" about the Trailblazer for my needs. However, I'm glad it fits yours.

Drive safe,

Kev
Unread 10-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #21
llpistonsll

Sorry, i meant, since they around the same price (at least they were to me)
the compass was 210 a month my trilblazer is 213.. both pretty low for SUV's to lease (0down).
And So if they are similarly priced, you would get a better value w/ the trailblazer since you want a suv and the trailblazer is a better one (tows more, more options, worse gas milage though, more room, and better quality interior from what i noticed)
Unread 10-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #22
Kev M
2012 WK 

LLpistons, what you're not understanding is that a lease is a loosing proposition.

Unless you want a new car every couple of years OR the car you want is too expensive and will hold enough residual value that you only pay a small amount there is no/little benefit to the lease.

I don't compare rental payemnts (leases) and the PRICE of ownership. I was looking to BUY a vehicle, NOT lease.

On the other hand, you seem to have REALLY wanted a Wrangler more than anything right? IF you were going to lease anyway, did you think of leasing the Wrangler of your dreams?

After 2 years or so you'd have had the option to buy out the lease, at more of a used-car price, except that you'd be the person who'd "used" the car SO that you could be sure the condition it was in.

No matter.

Like I said, MY MAJOR considerations for a new car were

1. AWD
2. Minimum of 20/28 mpg fuel economy
3. Purchase price OTD of about $23-24k or less
4. Plenty of amenities, from heated leather seats and sunroof to premium sound etc.

I COULD have easily bought the Compass and been happy with it, but I also decided I wanted more car-like handling so wound up purchasing a Baja.

Kev
Unread 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #23
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

About the only way a lease works out in your favor is if you use it in your business and can take it off your income tax as a business expense.

Sure you get to drive something new that you couldn’t normally afford but you will more than likely end up owing more at the tail end of the lease to turn it back in because of excessive miles, paint chips, scratches, dints and other wear and tear that THEY deem to be excessive. It’s House Rules just like in Vagas. You will have no equity in the car just like renting, it’s THEIR car and you’d better take care of it by THEIR standards.

I agree with Kev, why didn’t you lease a Wrangler with option to buy? That would have made more sense. You’re just throwing money away on something that you don’t intend on keeping.

The criteria for what I would buy were:
AWD
25 – 30 mpg
Fully enclosed small SUV
Ground clearance
Car like ride with good road manners
Loaded with goodies
Under $30K
July delivery

For me, the Compass was a win/win situation.

Last edited by Gramps; 10-02-2006 at 05:03 PM..
Unread 10-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #24
llpistonsll

Because wranglers sell well enough on their own so there is no special deals or rebates, especialle for those who dont get the discount. The Wrangler was about 320 a month to lease, plus higher insurance rates... o well when im 18 I will buy the wrangler
Unread 10-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #25
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

If you keep on top of your lease payments it could give your credit rating a nice boost, it's not all bad. Besides, you can look cool in the process.
Unread 10-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #26
4.0v8eater

dont get it

Dont spend more than you need to buy a Toyota corolla $13,999 CE model and call it a day or Honda Fit.
4.0v8eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #27
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0v8eater
Dont spend more than you need to buy a Toyota corolla $13,999 CE model and call it a day or Honda Fit.

What in God's name would a Corrolla or Fit have to do with this conversation????
Unread 10-04-2006, 08:41 AM   #28
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpistonsll
Because wranglers sell well enough on their own so there is no special deals or rebates, especialle for those who dont get the discount. The Wrangler was about 320 a month to lease, plus higher insurance rates... o well when im 18 I will buy the wrangler

Huh, I gotcha.

Funny, you'd THINK that with the high residual value it would make Wrangler leases attractive. Oh well. Enjoy your truck, and more importantly, keep saving for that Wrangler when you turn 18!

Drive safe!

Kev
Unread 10-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #29
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Leasing isn't such a bad deal on cars/trucks/suvs that tend to have lousy resale, assuming the manufacturer has some incentive behind the lease to move the metal. You can get a nice machine and beat the lousy resale when you get bored with it.

Back in 2000 I leased a 2001 300M (I really liked this car - didn't give me a lick of trouble and it was such a nice car for the price) with 15K miles per year for only $309 a month. Chrysler had some great lease cash against it and the residual was actually better than I expected at 51%. At the end of three years I could walk away from the car scott free. Had I bought the car on a 5-6 year loan (would need at least that to get the payments near what I paid on the lease) at the end of three years, (had I needed to sell the car) I would have been horribly upside down in it. I originally was considering buying it at the end of the lease, but since it was in an accident "the thrill was gone" and I was able to walk away and move on.

Since cars get the crap beat out of them (what with the salt and lousy roads) here in Detroit, I didn't mind moving on to something new.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.