Control Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > Control Arms

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Control Arms

Anyone have info on how to change out the control arms? The lovely knocking noise has started and I'm getting aftermarket parts. The Chrysler ones are dead after 50k miles on mine. Thanks, I appreciate it.

DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
jacko15
2014 WK 

Had the dealer do ours, so I can't be of much help with instructions, but I want to congratulate you on getting 50k out of them, we only got about 22k out of ours.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
JeepCares

General warnings/cautions
Instructions on removal/installation will follow

02 - Front Suspension/Front/Warning
WARNING
WARNING: Chrysler LLC does not manufacture any vehicles or replacement parts that contain asbestos. Aftermarket products may or may not contain asbestos. Refer to aftermarket product packaging for product information.

Whether the product contains asbestos or not, dust and dirt can accumulate on brake parts during normal use. Follow practices prescribed by appropriate regulations for the handling, processing and disposing of dust and debris.

WARNING: Do not remove the strut shaft nut while strut assembly is installed in vehicle, or before the coil spring is compressed with a compression tool. The spring is held under high pressure.

CAUTION: Only frame contact hoisting equipment can be used on this vehicle. It cannot be hoisted using equipment designed to lift a vehicle by the rear axle. If this type of hoisting equipment is used, damage to rear suspension components will occur.

CAUTION: At no time when servicing a vehicle can a sheet metal screw, bolt, or other metal fastener be installed in the shock tower to take the place of an original plastic clip. It may come into contact with the strut or coil spring.

CAUTION: Wheel bearing damage will result if after loosening the hub nut, the vehicle is rolled on the ground or the weight of the vehicle is allowed to be supported by the tires for a length of time.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
JeepCares

2008 MK Lower Control Arm Removal

02 - Front Suspension/Front/ARM, Lower Control/Removal
REMOVAL

NOTE: Before proceeding, (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Front - Warning - post #3 above) .
1. Raise and support the vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)

(see pic 1 below)
2. Remove the wheel mounting nuts (3), then the tire and wheel assembly (1).

(see pic 2 below)
3. Remove the nut (5) and pinch bolt (4) clamping the ball joint (6) stud to the knuckle (3).

(see pic 3 below)
CAUTION: Upon removing the knuckle from the ball joint stud, do not pull outward on the knuckle. Pulling the knuckle outward at this point can separate the inner C/V joint on the halfshaft thus damaging it.

CAUTION: Use care when separating the ball joint stud (4) from the knuckle (1), so the ball joint seal does not get cut.

4. Using an appropriate prying tool (2), separate the ball joint stud (4) from the knuckle (1) by prying down on lower control arm (3) and up against the ball joint boss on the knuckle.

(see pic 4 below)
5. Remove the front bolt (2) attaching the lower control arm (3) to the front suspension crossmember (4).
6. Remove the nut (1) on the rear bolt attaching the lower control arm (3) to the front suspension crossmember (4). Remove the bolt.
7. Remove the lower control arm (3) from the crossmember (4).
pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg   pic4.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
JeepCares

2008 MK Lower Control Arm Installation

02 - Front Suspension/Front/ARM, Lower Control/Installation
INSTALLATION

NOTE: Before proceeding, (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Front - Warning - post #3 above) .
1. Raise and support the vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)

(see pic 1 below)
1. Place the lower control arm (2) into the front suspension crossmember (1).
2. Insert the rear bolt (3) up through the crossmember (1) and lower control arm (2).

(see pic 2 below)
3. Install, but do not fully tighten, the nut (1) on the rear bolt attaching the lower control arm (3) to the crossmember (4).
4. Install, but do not fully tighten, the front bolt (2) attaching the lower control arm to the crossmember.
5. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm rear mounting bolt nut (1) to 183 Nm (135 ft. lbs.).
6. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm front pivot bolt (2) to the following:
170 Nm (125 ft. lbs.) (Vehicles built before 8/31/07)
135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) (Vehicles built on or after 8/31/07)

(see pic 3 below)
7. Install the ball joint (6) stud into the knuckle (3), aligning the bolt hole in the knuckle boss with the groove formed in the side of the ball joint stud.
8. Install a NEW ball joint stud pinch bolt (4) and nut (5). Tighten the nut to 82 Nm (60 ft. lbs.).

(see pic 4 below)
9. Install tire and wheel assembly (1) (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels - Installation) . Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 Nm (100 ft. lbs.).
10. Lower the vehicle.
11. Perform wheel alignment as necessary. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Standard Procedure)
pic1.jpg   pic2.jpg   pic3.jpg   pic4.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
DLTC86
2008 MK Compass 

Thanks! Actually I'm on my second set. First two were from Chrysler, obviously not purchasing them ever again, they don't hold up.
DLTC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

The instructions are also in the 'Quick Links'. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/l.../#post11579264

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
dodgedak98
2008 MK Patriot 

Replacement looks simple but believe me, IT SUCKS. I'm 5+ hours into mine and am ready to take it to the junk yard.

The $640 I was quoted for the job sounded high, but it was a deal! I wish I could go back in time. I have replaced the arms in other vehicles and while they weren't fun, they were much easier.

UPDATE #1: I finally have one side completed. Sometimes it helps to have another eye to give you some ideas. I was thinking when one bolt didn't slide in, that it might help to start the other bolt. All that does is make both bolts not go in. So, take it one at a time and you will need to do a little prying to get the front one lined up.

I'm still having issues popping the other side out - even bought an air hammer/pickle fork. Hopefully it comes out tomorrow.

UPDATE #2: Job completed. I got the ball joint almost half-way out with a combination of the air fork and a regular one. From there a couple dozen blows with a 1lb hammer got the job done. The new one went in easy with the exception of the first bolt. It took some prying to get that bolt through both holes & arm.

If I have to do it again in 25k miles, I will. The little things I learned should make the job go reasonably quickly.

Last edited by dodgedak98; 05-15-2013 at 04:51 PM..
dodgedak98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine wasn't that bad, took me about 5 hours to do both ball joint and all 4 struts.
Unread 06-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
Chriztofor
2007 MK Compass 

I purchased my control arms at autozone. Comes with a lifetime warranty. However dealer said one of my arms are "loose". Going for a wheel alignment so if they say the same thing will replace it.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.