FCA Customer Care
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
2008 MK Lower Control Arm Installation
02 - Front Suspension/Front/ARM, Lower Control/Installation
NOTE: Before proceeding, (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Front - Warning - post #3 above) .
1. Raise and support the vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)
(see pic 1 below)
1. Place the lower control arm (2) into the front suspension crossmember (1).
2. Insert the rear bolt (3) up through the crossmember (1) and lower control arm (2).
(see pic 2 below)
3. Install, but do not fully tighten, the nut (1) on the rear bolt attaching the lower control arm (3) to the crossmember (4).
4. Install, but do not fully tighten, the front bolt (2) attaching the lower control arm to the crossmember.
5. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm rear mounting bolt nut (1) to 183 N·m (135 ft. lbs.).
6. With no weight or obstruction on the lower control arm, tighten the lower control arm front pivot bolt (2) to the following:
170 N·m (125 ft. lbs.) (Vehicles built before 8/31/07)
135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.) (Vehicles built on or after 8/31/07)
(see pic 3 below)
7. Install the ball joint (6) stud into the knuckle (3), aligning the bolt hole in the knuckle boss with the groove formed in the side of the ball joint stud.
8. Install a NEW ball joint stud pinch bolt (4) and nut (5). Tighten the nut to 82 N·m (60 ft. lbs.).
(see pic 4 below)
9. Install tire and wheel assembly (1) (Refer to 22 - Tires and Wheels - Installation) . Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).
10. Lower the vehicle.
11. Perform wheel alignment as necessary. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Standard Procedure)