continously variable transmission??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Compass & Patriot Forum > continously variable transmission???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

continously variable transmission???

I was reading about how this works, and i'm kind of confused. there are no gears I see.

when u floor your CVT car, does the RPMs stay steady as the gears constantly change ratios?

it says it feels like the tranny is slipping when u floor it some places that I read.

can someone explain what it feels like when u drive this thing?

I'm going to buy the car tonight after my work, so i'm excited, but I wanna hear it before I test drive it tonight

Unread 02-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yes when you nail it hard the engine cranks right to 5.5-6k rpm and stays there while the tranny changes rations as you gain speed.

under normal acceleration it feels like its slipping but you get used to it. the patriots (and I imagine the compass) standard CVT2 has been programmed to "feel" sorta like a regular tranny as it will change rations to mimic gear changes. depends on how youre driving it as to whether you will notice this or not.

you can also get whats called the "autostick" that simulates a 6 speed manual, in addition to "D" (completely automatic) you get a "+/-" gate position that you hit to change "gears" or more accurately ratios. the autostick can be added later on FD I CVT2s. Gramps has a write up on it. I think all 08 patriots (except the trail rated ones with the FD II package) have autostick standard, not sure on the compass.

you get used to it fast, and when at WOT (merging on a highway or passing) I kinda like the 6k rpm sound.. even my wife likes it.
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

interesting, can't wait to test this thing tonight and pick it up!
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #4
taseal
1993 XJ Cherokee 

what is the diff between CVTI and CVTII?

do these thigns have torque converters?

when you want to launch it (not that you really would in a car like this) how do ya torque brake it?
Unread 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Gramps
The Necessary Evil

2007 MK Compass 

All Jeep MK automatics are a CVT2. It just means second generation CVT. DO NOT TORQUE BRAKE THE CVT! Just nail it!

Yes they have a Torque Converter.

The AutoStick on the Compass was an option.

We're still working on the AutoStick Conversion. Right now we are waiting on answers from engineering on the CVT2L (off-road) conversion and I believe they will answer some other questions as we.

Artificial intelligence is no substitute for natural stupidity

MK Skid Plate fasteners for sale posts 68 & 69

Also visit me at Photobucket
'06 WK Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II, 5.7
'07 MK Compass Limited 4X4, AutoStick
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.